The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 10:51:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i need help with an Idea for a Hat , please  (Read 1066 times)
NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« on: September 17, 2016, 11:10:06 am »

hey everyone ,

Im a türkisch guy , i wanted to use the turkish hat as a Steampunker Hat with Goggels and everything ,, what do you thing ? Will it be a good idea?

Roll Eyes
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 11:34:42 am »

hey everyone ,

Im a türkisch guy , i wanted to use the turkish hat as a Steampunker Hat with Goggels and everything ,, what do you thing ? Will it be a good idea?

Roll Eyes

Welcome to the forum. So you can get a better response to your question, I'll move your post to the "Anatomical" section. That is where all the threads about clothing are posted.

NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 11:59:52 am »

Ok Thanks
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 01:13:50 pm »

A Fez is the obvious choice.
NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 02:39:00 pm »

Do you think it will work?? I ordred Fez Hat. Thanks for the respond =]
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 03:33:48 pm »

that was kind of quick.  What kind of hats are Turkish?  Seems like there could be a variety of options.
Since you ordered Fez, the simplest thing is to strap on a pair of goggles to over it. I would be mindful of how much the goggles weigh vs. strap tension.  On a "normal" hat with a brim, the brim carries some of the weight.

On the Fez, since it has no brim, you're relying on the structural integrity of the cone shape to keep the goggles on as the fixed diameter of the strap strains against the increasing circumference of the Fez.

I think that's going to be an issue, as I don't imagine Fez's are made of very stiff material (like leather or something).

So, imagine affixing something else to the Fez.  The simplest would be gears, which for a beginner SP hat, might be fine.

Working from the inside, you could mount small vacuum tubes.  Or cut out window ports and install a frame and glass.  Or air vents, perhaps with fan blade inside.
NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 05:36:01 pm »

yes i thougt about it too
like you said i will strenght the inside with vaccum tubes ,i think it will work , i will post the results when i will recieve it.

jpg
NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 05:37:47 pm »

yes i thougt about it too
like you said i will strenght the inside with vaccum tubes ,i think it will work , i will post the results when i will recieve it.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:51:46 pm by von Corax » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 07:00:39 pm »

There is also the taqiyah:

Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:57:24 pm »

I think it would be fairly easy to reinforce the inside of a fez to take more weight.  Something like plastic canvas or even cardboard cut to line the inside would give you plenty of structural support.  The card could be painted but the plastic would require a fabric liner to hide it.
As Dr. Who said "Fezzes are cool."
NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 02:57:50 am »

hey everyone ,

Im a türkisch guy , i wanted to use the turkish hat as a Steampunker Hat with Goggels and everything ,, what do you think ? Will it be a good idea?

Roll Eyes
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 02:03:18 pm »

Perhaps use a mystical symbol of your choice and some L.E.D.s to grab the attention. You don't have to have electrical skills, small light up badges are sold for Halloween and Christmas.  For instance a dark Fez with a large glowing evil eye or an illuminated illuminati symbol could look splendid and would not need further embellishment.
NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 06:23:48 pm »

what do you mean by mystical symbol  ? i have never seen a black Fez , i want to use the original Ottoman empire Red hat , and in the fromt i will use the symbole in the image an airman medal
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 06:00:44 am »

What I mean by mystical symbol, things like an eye or a hand to represent protection, luck or magic.   At Steampunk events I've seen all sorts of hats in all sorts of colours including a black fez shape with symbols to represent ancient magic embroidered on it in gold.

If your theme is airman then mystical symbols are probably not needed.  Steampunk style adapts to the wearer.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 06:57:03 pm »

what do you mean by mystical symbol  ? i have never seen a black Fez , i want to use the original Ottoman empire Red hat , and in the fromt i will use the symbole in the image an airman medal

Hmm, what about a nice pair of gold aviator wings on either side of the Fez?

Yours,
Miranda.
NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 12:46:17 pm »

Miranda  i choosed airman thema  i did buy one aviator wing if you mean this one, i wanted to put it on the front of the Fez Hat with Goggles .

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 02:26:01 pm »

hey everyone ,

Roll Eyes

Unrelated but cheers on that hetalia Turkey in your avatar! I used to cosplay as Belgium before i got into steampunk

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 05:05:32 pm »

xD im amazed you noticed it,, yes maybe i will try with Turkey Uniform und mix it with a Steampunk outfit .
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 05:19:12 pm »

xD im amazed you noticed it,, yes maybe i will try with Turkey Uniform und mix it with a Steampunk outfit .

I do think Turkey's coat would work perfectly! The mask could have great steampunk opportunity too!
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 09:28:52 pm »

What I mean by mystical symbol, things like an eye or a hand to represent protection, luck or magic.   At Steampunk events I've seen all sorts of hats in all sorts of colours including a black fez shape with symbols to represent ancient magic embroidered on it in gold.

If your theme is airman then mystical symbols are probably not needed.  Steampunk style adapts to the wearer.

Just a side note on this,. from talking with a muslim co-worker a long time ago while I was making christmas art on the walls with christmas lights.  Apparently, Islam doesn't have symbols, and actively avoids them.  It was really tricky trying to come up with something I could make for his faith on the wall as he understood I wasn't trying to offend, but include everybody we could think of.  I think we settled on a crescent moon and star.  Anyway, iconography or whatever might not be kosher, which if I recall is why middle eastern art is often mosaic or geometrical.

Don't quote me on that as being spot on, it's just something I recall learning a little tidbit.

With my co-worker, we had a great talk, but part of the communication barrier was that he seemed to have a hard time grasping what I meant by a symbol and what I was asking him about.  Just a different way to look at the world.

NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 11:12:12 am »

@Kensington Locke  , first im from a SECULAR country which is Turkey , and i am an Atheist id rather beliebe in Narnia that would be Ok.
please dont confuse a modern country people with culture and with Religion,, Turks are not Arabs and Arabs are not Persian there is a Huge cultural difference and also Religious by the way, im not trying to school you but please do some research about those things . the Ottoman Empire has a lot of signs and Eagles in their army forces , and beside that we are Euroasians. Thanks that you came up with religion thing, but No thanks im an Atheist, i have no Religious believes.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 02:21:51 pm »

@Kensington Locke  , first im from a SECULAR country which is Turkey , and i am an Atheist id rather beliebe in Narnia that would be Ok.
please dont confuse a modern country people with culture and with Religion,, Turks are not Arabs and Arabs are not Persian there is a Huge cultural difference and also Religious by the way, im not trying to school you but please do some research about those things . the Ottoman Empire has a lot of signs and Eagles in their army forces , and beside that we are Euroasians. Thanks that you came up with religion thing, but No thanks im an Atheist, i have no Religious believes.

No offense intended, I was simply reminded of the possibility, when you said "what do you mean by mystical symbol".

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 06:31:16 pm »

How about a wing on each side of the fez, with or without brass workings tucked in the side like this

https://www.amazon.com/Funny-Fashions-Hermes-Helmet-Standard/dp/B00QVWHJPU
NordinRocca
Swab

Germany Germany

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 11:03:33 am »

not at all thank you for your Advise, i just dont believe we still have religious people in our centry the way it is nowdays.. 
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 01:39:45 am »

I think a traditional red fez with that steampunk logo on front and goggles will look very good.

You might consider adding a small snap (press stud) strap on each side to help hold up the goggles.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: