The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 09:06:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The realities of a Steam Punk reality?  (Read 668 times)
N1v3n
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cosmino Hemp, Snr.

« on: September 13, 2016, 01:08:11 pm »

So what would be the realities of a Steam Punk reality?

Do women have the vote? Do the poor starve?  Is our psuedo-Victorian reality more enlightened than the contemporary Victorian era?

I guess it boils down to whether if we each have our own Steam Punk reality?

Effluvient Engineer. Lower levels
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 02:23:04 pm »

The reality is that thermodynamics would make fools of us all.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 05:26:52 pm »

If women don't have the vote I vote we don't do it.
Or am I just being silly now?

'If you were going to make a ghost-trap, how would you set about it? -particularly if you had not even a small ghost to practice on.' -Wyndham
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:40:30 pm »

What it boils down to is that we are not Victorian re-enactors, and that there is no Steampunk canon.

Each of us has a slightly different perspective from his neighbours, who have slightly different perspectives from their neighbours, and so on until you end up with quite substantial differences from one end to the other. We each cherry-pick those aspects which most attract us and discard the least-attractive aspects, and we each put in as much or as little world-building effort as we see fit. I suspect that for most of us that means no poverty and universal suffrage, although there are certainly dystopic worlds where women don't vote, or no-one votes, or everyone is legally obliged to vote on everything, and other, libertarian utopias where enlightened self-interest actually works and no-one needs to vote on anything. Likewise, most of us are into the gargantuan polished steam machines of a victorious industrial revolution, but more than a few prefer the rusty bodgery and hackery of post-apocalyptic Salvagepunk.

Welcome to Brass Goggles, and we look forward to seeing your personal perspective on Steampunk.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 11:49:52 pm »

If not the poor and hungry. It is not steam-punk and steam-communism.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
N1v3n
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cosmino Hemp, Snr.

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 01:10:05 pm »

Welcome to Brass Goggles, and we look forward to seeing your personal perspective on Steampunk.

Thanks! Which forum would that be best posted in?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:12:19 pm »

Thanks! Which forum would that be best posted in?

Of course that would depend on how you choose to express yourself, but generally unless it obviously belongs elsewhere Metaphysical is the place for ruminations and contemplations.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 09:44:13 pm »

My personal definition of Steampunk is modern stories told in the style of Victorian / Edwardian adventure stories.

The modern sensibility is essential to Steampunk. Our society should be egalitarian, with differences of gender or continent of origin being irrelevant to whether a given person can do a job. There are still starving street urchins and mudlarks, but the persons who oppress them are the villains in the story.

My two pence.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: