The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 04:25:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do i need to go custom?  (Voting closed: September 15, 2016, 02:56:18 am)
yes - 1 (100%)
no - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Size 8 Bowler Hat  (Read 515 times)
Mr.Bates1911
Swab

United States United States

« on: September 08, 2016, 02:56:18 am »

I find myself engaged in a seemingly hopeless quest to find a black bowler hat in size 8. I have tried many different hat companies in the 7 3/4 to 7 7/8s size and they are just too snug. Does anyone seem to have any insight as to who sells one? Huh Huh
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 10:53:12 am »

I think you'll find anything over UK size 7 7/8s (UK 64cm a.k.a. US Size 8 @ 25.2") which is also often labelled as XXL will be hard to find 'off the shelf'.

The minimum you would seem to need would be a UK Size 8 (65cm a.k.a. US Size 8 1/4 @ 25.6").

If you need UK Size 8 or even larger you'll probably need bespoke.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Dave Leppo
Snr. Officer

fabricateur

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:37:51 pm »

buy the biggest, best weight felt you can, and re-size it:
http://www.sempstress.org/demo/how-to-reblock-a-felt-hat/

maybe?
Harvey Midnight
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 04:03:09 am »

I feel you. I can NEVER buy hats off the rack,  because of my massive head-size. Apparently there are actually 'hat stretchers'...

Hat Stretcher

I've heard they can add up to a size-and-a-half, to a hat. I think you apply steam to the hat, as you increase the stretcher to a gradually larger size...

Never done it myself, tho I expect I'll need to, once I start increasing my hat collection.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:06:27 am by Harvey Midnight » Logged
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 04:09:30 am »

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/all/451139-3070/english-derby-hat.html says xxl is size 8.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 08:01:04 am »

Some milliners and gentlemen's outfitters (depending on their age) do have steam hat presses and are usually willing to stretch hats for you (up to a full size is not impossible).

The only reason I know this is because when I bought my old fedora I was despairing of the fact that the XL was too small to be comfortable, but the XXL was too big and was about to walk out when the sales assistant mentioned their hat press and offered to stretch the hat for me.

Needless to say that won them a sale.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: