The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 12:59:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: maya punk  (Read 590 times)
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« on: September 04, 2016, 10:58:42 pm »

The elements of the periodic table are listed in square cells. Maya heiroglyphs are arranged in square cells. If only there were some way to combine those facts.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:19:17 pm by polyphemus » Logged

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 12:29:54 am »

The elements of the periodic table are listed in square cells. Maya heiroglyphs are arranged in square cells. If only there were some way to combine those facts.

I happen to be an Maya aficionado myself.  You do know that the Maya syllabary has been decoded, yes?  If not,  focus on the work of Linda Schele (RIP)  from my Alma mater  the University of Texas.  The script or "alphabet" is actually two systems in one, with the script being similar to modern Japanese, in that it combines logographs for entire words (eg Kanji) and logographs for individual syllables.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_script
A majority of the written Classic Maya language is now decoded, and outside of Mexico like in Guatemala it's being released introduced into the modern Mayan dialects.

The question is how accurate you want the table to be.  Do you want to use Maya words for the elements (soon to be available for Google Translate according to rumours)?  Chances are youl'd have to translate words that are obvious.  For example, Helium <~> Helios = Sun = K'in (sun) <~> K'inich Ahau (sun god) , in Yucatec Maya:

Element: K'in (Helium)
Atomic Number: Jun (one)
Symbol:

o

Don't be surprised if there is a Guatemalan chemist somewhere out there who has already thought of the same thing. Otherwise you might transliterate the Roman letters with Mayan syllables. The atomic number is trivial,  for the Mayan number system is well known (base 20 and it also has a symbol for zero) so you have to convert from base 10 to base 20.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_numerals

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:52:18 am »

This would be a great project for any fans of the Maya out there, wouldn't it!

Not for me (wrong hemisphere), but surely ... ?

Why don't you give it a go, J. Wilhelm??
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 12:57:53 am »

I worked from a chart of syllables. They all say what they should, sort of. He, Oksa, etc. I thought about incorporating the numbers as it's obvious and relatively simple. Maybe in a new version.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 01:57:40 am »

This would be a great project for any fans of the Maya out there, wouldn't it!

Not for me (wrong hemisphere), but surely ... ?

Why don't you give it a go, J. Wilhelm??

I have a feeling someone may have done this already. The number of native speakers in Mexico has dropped to less than 3%, and it may be higher in Yucatan peninsula and Chiapas (Mexican states), but in Guatemala and Belize, that number is much higher. The efforts to re introduce the script are very serious, with over 90% of the script already decoded.
I imagine there are Mayan scientists out there (I know for a fact that is true in Mexico).
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 02:36:03 am »

I go to Mexico City fairly regularly. I'll have a look next time I'm there. I'd love to have a real version rather than my amateur effort.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 03:50:05 am »

I go to Mexico City fairly regularly. I'll have a look next time I'm there. I'd love to have a real version rather than my amateur effort.

I envy you. I want to go back there permanently - someday. I used to live in the posh part of the State of Mexico, (Southwest of the city, way past Polanco and Chapultepec Park, outside of the city limits and Periferico (loop) Hwy, past the military compound and the horse racetrack, around that green area toward the highway to Toluca. Last time I checked my childhood home was valued at $5 million USD. *sigh*

I would kill to go back there.

Would an Internet search perhaps yield better results? I doubt you'll find too many Periodic Tables written in Maya. Mexico City is Mexica/Nahuatl ("Aztec") not a Maya region. Very few people in Mexico want to continue the native language/traditions - Mexico is way too developed now, like Brazil and Argentina - nobody wants to be 'Native" nowadays. The percentage of native speakers is below 3%.

But my guess is that some creative Maya scientists somewhere in the State of Chiapas, Yucatan, or Quintana Roo might have toyed with the idea. Honestly. the countries of Guatemala and Belize are your best bets, as they are promoting the language in those countries.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 04:45:12 am »

Do beware of some false searches though. Apparently, Spaniards, Latin Americans or Anglo Americans living in the US have decided to make a "Maya Calendar" that resembles the Aztec Calendar - because they don't know the difference between the Aztec Calendar and the Maya Calendar (it's amazing how many people can't tell the difference between one and the other civilisation...). The American "Maya" calendar is made of concentric rings based on the "Cyclic Periodic Table" developed by Robert Northup:

http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/2010/02/todas-las-tablas-periodicas.html

The actual calendar they were thinking about is the Aztec Calendar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_calendar

polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 05:31:13 am »

I fancy Coyoacan myself. And I know that D.F. is Aztec but I haven't been to Guatemala yet. But soon I hope.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 06:06:47 am »

I fancy Coyoacan myself. And I know that D.F. is Aztec but I haven't been to Guatemala yet. But soon I hope.

That's "old money"  Cheesy  we had a few friends there.

It's no longer called Mexico D.F. (Mexico, Federal District), some idiots in the Senate (and accepted by the President  Angry ) decided to get rid of the suffix, and revert to the Spanish name "La Ciudad de Mexico" (The City of Mexico). Other changes include redefining the area from "A territory administered by a Federal State," to "An autonomous territory."  Huh And perhaps the only significant change I saw is that the "Federal Entity" as they call it will be able to participate in constitutional amendments... that's the only part that makes sense. With such a large percentage of the nation's population, Mexico City would have real sway in constitutional changes - it would completely dominate politically.

Honestly, I think they just wanted to inject money into the economy by forcibly changing all the official buildings' signage, legal documentation and government literature. Being one of the largest cities in the world, this is a great time to open a print shop in Mexico City.

They should have at least renamed it to something interesting, like the original name of  "Tenochtitlan."  I can buy Tenochtitlan D.F. Cheesy

Perhaps we should also rename Washington DC to "The City of Washington"  Tongue WTF?

http://www.forbes.com.mx/reforma-politica-el-adios-al-distrito-federal/

http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/nacional/10-diferencias-entre-df-y-cdmx.html

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1867015-mexico-df-ciudad-enrique-pena-nieto-estado
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:30:52 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 06:45:00 am »

Last time I was there, two months or so it was still pretty D.F. I'll have to ask my daughter if I missed something...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: