The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:21:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Belstaff Milford (Sherlock coat) pattern?  (Read 965 times)
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Paddle faster, I hear Banjos...

« on: August 24, 2016, 07:45:52 pm »

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody had found or come up with a pattern for a coat like the one worn by Benedict Cumberbatch in BBC's Sherlock. For those who don't know it, it is a double breasted greatcoat/ulstercoat hybrid thing, with pleated back and skirt, welt and patch pockets and a back belt.

Some reference images:

Cheers

I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

"Well, do you... steampunk?"
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:01:15 pm »

I have one. Got it from a 'Cosplay' site.

Perfect fit but lighter than the real thing which is now unobtainable and when it was it cost £1,500 minimum.

http://cosplaysky.com/sherlock-holmes-cape-coat-cosplay-costume-wool-version.html

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:05:26 pm »

Hi,

Yeah I have looked around cosplay sites and read the whole thread on Therpf.com about the coat and it's many widely available substitutes, but in all honesty I can sew, I like tackling stupidly ambitious projects, and plus, I can sew! So really I would like to try and make it myself first, but the cosplay coats are always in the back of my mind.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:36:51 pm »

You may have to amalgamate two or three patterns to get all the details you need but it would be worth the effort.  Do let us know how you go on.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:52:38 pm »

Cheers, I will bear that in mind. The problem is that I have no idea where to look for patterns that may suit. I will definitely post updates, and photos upon completion.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:45:40 pm »

I'd try Simplicity, Burda, McCalls, Vogue (if you are feeling rich), and don't just look in the mens section, try costumes or even womens (particularly for that multiple back pleat). The Simplicity site is quite good and you usually get pictures of the garment back as well as the front, even if Simplicity pattern instructions can be a bit obtuse!
The only other advice I have is to do a trial run of the pattern in cheap fabric before you cut into anything expensive.  Particularly if you're doing a mix-and-match with the pattern ....
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:52:20 pm »

Thank you for the advice, I will certainly make a test coat to see if the pattern is right. The first thing to do is find some fabric to use an the ACTUAL coat!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:54:34 pm by Prof. Isambard Ravenwood » Logged
montysaurus
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 05:15:39 pm »

http://www.lafnmoon.com/product_p/p109.htm here is a good base patter.
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 11:43:59 pm »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: