The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 04:42:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hatstack Topic  (Read 2167 times)
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: August 20, 2016, 08:25:34 am »

I'm not sure if it's a truly international phenomenon, but we were introduced to the concept of hatstacks by some fine chaps we met in Australia a couple of years ago.

In a nutshell: when a number of steampunks have gathered for a meal, tea or what have you, assemble the party's hats into the highest stack you can manage.  Something like this:

So ... let's see your best efforts.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 07:18:03 pm »

Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Summer 2009 if memory serves. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:07:06 am »

By Jove, sir!  Now THAT'S a hatstack.

We may have to define 'supported' and 'unsupported' criteria, should this sort of thing catch on.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:42:45 am »

Supported for early rounds, unsupported for championship round!?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 05:33:22 pm »

Following this topic. It seems fun.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 05:42:04 pm »

I too am enjoying this thread, though it is very slightly reminiscent of the craze for stacking cheerios on the baby's head that has been doing the rounds…

I'm hoping to take part in a 'stack' at the Asylum this weekend, my first proper Steampunk outing.

'If you were going to make a ghost-trap, how would you set about it? -particularly if you had not even a small ghost to practice on.' -Wyndham
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 05:57:43 pm »

And another, more recent one.  This time the WMSA outing to Canon Hill Park, Birmingham, July 2013.  Photograph by M Kingston, rather then myself- I'm sure I took one too but it is lost in the mists of time and this one I was tagged in on Facebook.

I think you will have someways to go to beat a WMSA hat tower, particularly when we do an event in force and numbers.  As you can see, we have evolved past the mere hat tower and now go in for hamper towers too.
AstorKaine
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Officer Commanding, Martian Expeditionary Force

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 06:14:27 pm »

I think you will have someways to go to beat a WMSA hat tower, particularly when we do an event in force and numbers.

I recall that we required *three* separate stacks for our outing in June precisely because of the numbers involved, and even then, getting them to stack correctly was a bit of a challenge! I'm sure there's some pictures of them around somewhere.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 06:18:57 pm »

I think you will have someways to go to beat a WMSA hat tower, particularly when we do an event in force and numbers.

I recall that we required *three* separate stacks for our outing in June precisely because of the numbers involved, and even then, getting them to stack correctly was a bit of a challenge! I'm sure there's some pictures of them around somewhere.

We did!  (I remember too that it was three hatstacks and two hamperstacks?- or is that memory playing tricks?)  I don't have any photos of that one sadly, otherwise I'd post them up. Maybe someone else can oblige?
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 07:00:47 pm »

We did!  (I remember too that it was three hatstacks and two hamperstacks?- or is that memory playing tricks?)  I don't have any photos of that one sadly, otherwise I'd post them up. Maybe someone else can oblige?

Here we are!

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 07:44:23 pm »

That's a great one! (Which one am I thinking of with the two hamper towers then?!?)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 07:07:34 am »

Not enough steampunks in the Houston area* for me to do this, I'm afraid, though I suppose I could stack my own reenactment and SP-acceptable hats...

-------
*Or at least, none who are on BG or who are willing to admit being steampunks when I'm around.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:09:33 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 10:22:23 am »

I confess I hadn't considered hamper stacks.  We are of course somewhat less civilised here in the Colonies and often the only actual hamper is that brought by Mrs. Hudson (the younger) and myself, but we might have to see what can be done.  Hampers often show up in the sorts of shops frequented by steampunks, so there's really no excuse what with spring approaching.

Multiple hatstacks, I agree, are sometimes required, although I think two is about the best we've managed.  Certainly arranging the hats appropriately to avoid damage, as well as to facilitate the highest stack, is essential.

Mr Harrison, while I greatly admire your stacks (no euphemism intended), I confess to some discomfort with all the goggles facing in the same direction.  A touch of asymmetry is often more effective, in my view.
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 10:36:35 am »

Mr AstorKaine

I was admiring the creature perched, (possibly on the boater?) on the leftmost stack. An unimaginable owl? A tentacled cat? Unless the maker would be kind and generous  enough to share a closer image it will remain something to muse upon and wonder about...
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 10:45:14 am »

Could it be the elusive hat kraken?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 01:25:12 pm »

I have a wicker picnic hamper!
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 03:22:15 pm »

Mr AstorKaine

I was admiring the creature perched, (possibly on the boater?) on the leftmost stack. An unimaginable owl? A tentacled cat? Unless the maker would be kind and generous  enough to share a closer image it will remain something to muse upon and wonder about...

Ah, that would be the fiendish and elusive Octokitten, made by a friend and fellow member of the WMSA - you can find out more (and possibly enquire about procuring said creature) here. They often creep into pictures when one is not looking!
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 04:35:22 pm »

Fabulous felines, but I think the sea creatures have now won my heart. Thank you so much for the link.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 06:04:49 am »

Far from the greatest photo in the world, but of some historic significance - my first experience of a hatstack, outside a bar in Ipswich, Queensland, during Steamfest in 2013.  That's my pith helmet, second from the bottom:

Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 09:15:15 am »

Pah!  21 is the number to beat.  The Genius Steampunk World Record, as set at Surrey Steampunk Convivial in July.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 09:17:34 am »

Pah!  21 is the number to beat.  The Genius Steampunk World Record, as set at Surrey Steampunk Convivial in July.

We did get a tad concerned when the dog started showing interest in it (Especially me as mine was upside down on the bottom)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 10:21:21 am »

Is upside down allowed - surely that is not 'stacking' in the purest sense of the word!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 10:58:32 am »

*Consults the rule book*

Nope, nothing in the rules that says they have to be right way up.

Good show!
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 12:09:31 pm »

Is upside down allowed - surely that is not 'stacking' in the purest sense of the word!

It's a sound geometric principal for a solid foundation.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 08:41:29 pm »

I think that there is photo of a hat stack taken in a Chester pub from a few years ago. Can't remember how many hats were involved though.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: