The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 02:29:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea market Finds: Second-hand  (Read 4778 times)
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2017, 07:55:26 pm »

Carboot Sale Finds

The folding ruler is stamped LNER!

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2017, 02:26:30 am »

Note to self: When back from Ireland, go to Sunday markets!
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2017, 02:16:58 am »

Around here there are no fleas at the markets, no car boot sale, only gourmet fruit spreads (jam) and artisan vegan sourdoughs (bread)... I make all that stuff myself, so not going to buy it from some stranger! The local Op Shops are great though, and Gumtree is first on my checklist for 'real' clocks and brass and copper things.

But what about the ones that got got away? I have a few (hangs head in shame) because I thought about it for far too long and then, pfwoot! it was gone! That old brass heat gun for $5.00 which would have made a great little lamp once cleaned up and converted. I still think of that sometimes... And the brass fire extinguisher - why didn't I get that??? Why? WHY!

I thought I was the only one who loved perusing junk outlets for Steampunk stuff. Finally, I have found my people. And as soon as I work out how to upload pictures, I will bore you all with my great finds!

Cheers
Rob
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2017, 03:48:27 am »

I thought I was the only one who loved perusing junk outlets for Steampunk stuff. Finally, I have found my people. And as soon as I work out how to upload pictures, I will bore you all with my great finds!

Cheers
Rob

Welcome to the Madhouse Rob! I see you already experienced thread rift, and assisted in returning it to topic ove ron "Victorian Design!" ...
much as I love fresh, flavorful tender tomatosas well as hinges....

My Dear Lord Pentecost  - great finds! love the ruler, but what is the pumpdevice? Is it for inflating footballs?  I fear it reminds me of a french enema pump as seen on Monty Python....

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2017, 08:27:41 am »

A box of plastic guns and a really neat wobbly bottle to make a proper 'barrel' on the blue plastic space gun.

A box of old medical stuff - some really weird shapes in there. The woman who sold it wouldn't look at it because it gave her the creeps. I found that a bit odd...
My desk. You can see more brass stuff on the windowsill, a good clock, glasses to make goggles with, my current gun project and lots of other good junk. Yes, I actually work at this desk. Strangely, this mess in no way reflects the way the rest of the house is kept. Only my desk is messy. Well, OK, there is one patch out the front garden where I am building a rock wall, but apart from that and the desk...

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2017, 05:54:45 am »

Nice finds, Synister!

Not flea market, but op shop find this morning. Nice Scottish tweed deerstalker!!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2017, 02:27:16 am »

My Good Synister -
if you cqn post a photo of the "medical thingies" all spread out  perhaps we can help!

yhs
prof marvel
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2017, 08:09:09 pm »

My Dear Lord Pentecost  - great finds! love the ruler, but what is the pumpdevice? Is it for inflating footballs?  I fear it reminds me of a french enema pump as seen on Monty Python....

yhs
prof marvel

I'm not entirely sure what the intended purpose of the pump is/was it has now become part of my jetpack (pics to follow). The stall holder had two of these but the other one had a plastic handle and nozzle so I left it.

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2017, 11:02:43 pm »

yhs
prof marvel

I'm not entirely sure what the intended purpose of the pump is/was it has now become part of my jetpack (pics to follow). The stall holder had two of these but the other one had a plastic handle and nozzle so I left it.

Having seen a similar device knocking around my late grandfather's shed/greenhouse *I think* I do believe it's intended use was the watering/treatment of plants where a watering can was impractical or impossible to use. If it's what I think is, one would lower the nozzle into a water vessel, draw back the handle, filling the tube with water (or what have you) and then push the handle forward to squirt out the liquid.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2017, 09:42:29 am »

yhs
prof marvel

Having seen a similar device knocking around my late grandfather's shed/greenhouse *I think* I do believe it's intended use was the watering/treatment of plants where a watering can was impractical or impossible to use. If it's what I think is, one would lower the nozzle into a water vessel, draw back the handle, filling the tube with water (or what have you) and then push the handle forward to squirt out the liquid.

Look at the tip of the pump. For irrigation and spraying, usually using some kind of nozzle to sprayed water.

And there are three, as I see it, the conical protrusion. Maybe there was a hose attached? And some pimpochka next. I think this pimpochka, schmoe to have an answer.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2017, 07:31:29 am »

I just bought one of those sprayers aka, Lord Pentecost, two brass sprayers with brass tanks, a brass and steel blow torch and another upright bigger brass sprayer. It was a garage find - someone selling off Granddad's hoard.

I pulled apart the Pentecost sprayer (don't know what else to call it  Wink ) and there was a great brass rod inside which will do nicely as a gun stand part, and a perfectly darling brass spring. I rather think my hoard had been 'unloved' compared to the one Lord Pentecost found, as mine are in a very sad condition... thick with some black grimey layer. Took me two solid hours of polishing and half a tin of Brasso to clean it up, and that was just one small one! It there some magic way to clean brass that I don't know about? You know - dip it in this for 3 seconds and instantly the tarnish is gone...?

Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2017, 09:49:46 pm »

It there some magic way to clean brass that I don't know about? You know - dip it in this for 3 seconds and instantly the tarnish is gone...?

Soak in coca cola or white vinegar or something else mildly acidic overnight, or alternatively wrap in kitchen paper then allow that to wick the cola around the item, they still need polishing but it generally removes the worst of the tarnish. If they are oily then a clean with engine de-greaser before polishing is a must.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2017, 11:25:54 pm »

My friends know me so well....  Grin Grin

Got a visit from one of my friends, said they had found a chair in the lane behind their house, and thought I might be able to salvage it. As is usually the case with a "salvage" expedition on a dumped chair, I was expecting it to be a leather armchair or sofa waiting to be liberated of some decent leather for projects.

However, once I nipped down to their house (they had dragged it in to their yard for me) I was greeted by a rather nice - if tatty - Victorian / French style armchair with a faded greenish burnt-orange coloured velvet. The fabric is beyond saving, and the chair needs a little work on the seat springs, but it looks awesome!
It looks older than it actually is, it's a very modern reproduction which is surprisingly lightweight, but it will look great once I reupholster it.  Grin

Can't post pics yet (still need to sort out a new image host) but it looks VERY close to this one:

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2017, 12:42:14 am »

Nice, Siliconous, very nice indeed!
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2017, 12:44:23 am »

Oh wow! That should come up very nicely - good find!

I have found there are 2 kinds of thrower-outers around here - the ones who put their hard-rubbish out with a big pink "BOOKED" sign on it, and the kind who put things out on 'display', then after a week or so put the big pink "BOOKED" sticker on it.

What this means is; when you put your old furniture etc out for pick-up by the council, you have to get it booked to be picked up. You need to say roughly what is there so the council knows how much there is, then they send you a pink 'booked' sticker. Once the pile is booked, you aren't supposed to touch it, so mean people decide what they are getting rid of, then book it, then put their stuff out with the sticker on it. Normal people are happy to see anything they put out to be picked up and used further by others.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: