The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 12:16:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New and inspired  (Read 1426 times)
Oakley
Deck Hand
United States United States

I'm an overall nice and polite person.

« on: July 28, 2016, 05:01:43 am »

I'm new to steampunk but I do know what it is and have for a few years now. After all these years I now have time to dedicate to something like this.

So I came up with a rough idea for a costume the other day. I am looking for good things that I should add to just make it look better though.

What could you recommend?
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 07:02:50 am »

Have You Decided on What You'll wear on Your Head? that would be Something to Consider.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:24:10 am »

Good morning,ladies and gentlemen.
What ideas have you in mind?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 11:38:58 am »

Yes, knowing what is already on your mind is the best way to gather ideas.
There can be so many ideas, but which fit?

Do you have sketches, photo examples?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Oakley
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 05:11:01 pm »

I don't have pictures of it or drawings yet its been about 2 days since I thought of it at least. I do have the fabric I need for the small cape I plan on making though. I am just looking for tips in general on what is good to do. I am open to any suggestions really.
What do you recommend I use to make things material wise? I know fabric types well enough but I am talking about what is best for steampunk in general.
Are there any sites you can recommend?
Etc 
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 07:50:18 pm »

Your description is still a bit vague. Is the character American,  European, other? Any trade or occupation?

You should look into your own self for inspiration as well.  There are no rules in Steampunk, so you can be anything you want. One suggestion with Steampunk characters is that the persona should be an extension of yourself. It should reflect some of your interests. Note however that there are many steampunks who have no persona or character at all. And there are many who ARE their own persona on a daily basis.

steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 10:16:45 pm »

In terms of fabric, use natural fibers; wool, cotton, silk (or at least fabrics that look natural instead of man-made).
Incorporate some leather or suede, perhaps in the form of straps, gaiters, or sleeve protectors.
Metallic elements--copper and brass are tops, but Victorians loved nickle-plate, too--are important.  

Females often wear variations on corsets and bustles.
Males often wear pants  Grin   Waistcoats (American vests) are popular for both sexes.

Have a purpose for whatever you add to your costume.  That is, don't just glue on some random gears because "that's steampunk;" make them part of your artificial breathing apparatus or pet clockwork warthog.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:46:46 pm by steiconi » Logged
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 11:14:04 pm »

Do you have an interest career or hobby that you want to include in your Steampunk persona. Artist, Engineer, Leatherworker, Cook etc.?

What, if anything, do you have to wear/carry most of the time?  Do you have to wear glasses?  What kind of shoes.

For instance, I'm a short broad woman and I have to wear broad flat shoes and I walk with a cane.  I've several that go with different costumes (I even have one that converts into a seat) I'm an artist and writer but medical problems mean my hands won't always cooperate so ,working with my requirements, here are descriptions for two of my steampunk looks:-

Artificer.  Features man's hat and goggles, bicycle bloomers or a split skirt and leather look gaiters. main feature is a pocketed apron/tool-belt combination so everything I need is close at hand.  Rucksack to match. Additional gadgets added to the stick/seat  Sometimes I have a project in hand or my hands are playing up so badly that I need wrist braces.

Prima Donna   Since I sing I created an egotistical Opera star  Pre-Raphaelite drape gowns with matching slippers (Under sleeves that will hide support bandages or wrist bracers.) A lot of dramatic jewellery and a long wig.  Art Nouveau sceptre/cane.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 12:16:55 am »

^Those sound great!
Oakley
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 08:23:19 pm »

^Those sound great!

Those two there are what I am looking for almost exactly tip wise.
Oakley
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 08:28:54 pm »

Your description is still a bit vague. Is the character American,  European, other? Any trade or occupation?

You should look into your own self for inspiration as well.  There are no rules in Steampunk, so you can be anything you want. One suggestion with Steampunk characters is that the persona should be an extension of yourself. It should reflect some of your interests. Note however that there are many steampunks who have no persona or character at all. And there are many who ARE their own persona on a daily basis.

I left it open so I could get a wide range of answers.

I am going for something that is a mix of things I have no way to describe it yet thats why there is no set theme.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 10:52:38 pm »

^Those sound great!

Those two there are what I am looking for almost exactly tip wise.

Glad they helped, you'll develop your own style as you go. 
Here is a ten point check list of practical things people need to know when costume making.

1)  When and where is it for?
 2)  What are my skills
 3)  What is my budget?
 4)  Am I modifying or making from scratch? 
 5)  Do I have to copy exactly or is it freestyle on a theme?
 6)  Will I need help to get in or out of my costume?
 7)  Can I see where I am going?
 Cool  Can I go to the bathroom without major difficulty?
 9)  Can I sit down stand up without help and can I manage steps or doorways?
10)  How much have I got to carry and how can I carry it?

Some of these may seem blindingly obvious but you'd be amazed by how many of them don't get considered.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 09:09:22 pm »

I am going for something that is a mix of things I have no way to describe it yet thats why there is no set theme.

unfortunately, with your opening line, saying "I have an idea" but not stating any details of what you have already makes it harder for folks to come up with what would work with your idea or what you have.  Basically, you got nothin, because you've given us nothing to work with.

At the simplest, what kind of clothing/costume bits do you have already (footwear, hat, glasses, pants/dress, shirt, coat, bodice, belt, harness, baldric)?

Heck, what gender are you shooting for?

That'll jog people's thinking as they see what you have and add onto it.  And it will be much more helpful to get people to help you when you put in some effort to share info.

Oakley
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 11:28:19 pm »

unfortunately, with your opening line, saying "I have an idea" but not stating any details of what you have already makes it harder for folks to come up with what would work with your idea or what you have.  Basically, you got nothin, because you've given us nothing to work with.

At the simplest, what kind of clothing/costume bits do you have already (footwear, hat, glasses, pants/dress, shirt, coat, bodice, belt, harness, baldric)?

Heck, what gender are you shooting for?

That'll jog people's thinking as they see what you have and add onto it.  And it will be much more helpful to get people to help you when you put in some effort to share info.

I'm not trying to start anything here.

I am able to work with minimal info myself and I have gotten some great stuff so far and some of it is exactly what I needed so I did get a lot and I am very thankful for it. Smiley

I have the boots I need and material over all. Some people on another site have also really helped me and lead me to some sites that helped me even more. I'm female but I incorporate things in many of my outfits that could be used by any gender to be honest. 

I'm sorry if I made you angry. I'm just a person of little words by nature. Sorry
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 12:42:24 am »

A tad bit of re-phrashing would have been on order with that response to your question OP, I'm sure you didn't mean to put anyone off. Yes, you left it completely open, but I feel that others had responded in a better manner previous so it could have been not said. A miss understanding on both sides, maybe? ......

Are you able to give any details at this point into which way you're moving towards?
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 09:26:23 am »

I doubt anyone is angry.  It is just easier to make suggestions when I know where e to start. 
The two most important rules for me are
1) have fun with the costume
2) make sure it is reasonably comfortable - it is hard to have fun with anything that is physically uncomfortable
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 11:31:35 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
I'm new to steampunk but I do know what it is and have for a few years now. After all these years I now have time to dedicate to something like this.

So I came up with a rough idea for a costume the other day. I am looking for good things that I should add to just make it look better though.

What could you recommend?

Everything's better with spats.
And some sort of arm hand wrist bracer.
And Sam Brown belts. Yes, belts in general. Lots of belts.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Sir Farthington-Smythe
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 02:03:52 am »

There are a number of online quizzes which tell you what type of Steampunk you are.  Take a few of those and see if anything stands out to which you can relate.  Then search for images of that type of persona to get a feel for the direction you want to take.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 01:23:32 am »

The way I read the OP's question, s/he is looking for "typically steampunk" accoutrements, accessories, materials, and, um, elements. 
Not asking for help developing a character at all.
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 02:47:45 pm »

Google Steampunk images. Will give you lots of ideas.
Sir Farthington-Smythe
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 10:43:09 pm »

The way I read the OP's question, s/he is looking for "typically steampunk" accoutrements, accessories, materials, and, um, elements. 

Quite true.  I meant only to help Oakley find direction.  Certain accoutrements, elements and accessories work superbly well together, while others may not, hence researching desired personas.  Steampunk is so without rules that it is quite broad and difficult to say what is and is not typically steampunk, again researching personas can help with this, too.  True though that certain things just do not belong, like pleated pants.  Avoid those at all costs!

At any rate, have a look at steampunk.wonderhowto.com.  There are quite a few ideas to be found there.  One particular guide there in which you may have interest is "Steampunk on a Thrift-Store Budget: A Guide to Successful Thrifting"  The author offers good tips on what and what not to look for.  Be sure to read the comments, too, as some commenters have offered their input as well.  It's an old post, so questions in the comments may not be answered.  Granted, Oakley, you have mentioned your ability and desire to seaming material to make your own clothing items, these guides offer an idea of what sort of patterns may or may not be suitable for Steampunk.

Remember, Steampunk is an art form, a mode of expression.  Express yourself.  Either expressing who you are and what makes you tick (pun intended), or expressing who you desire to be.  For some it can be a form of escapism, a way to escape from hum drum of everyday life, and for others, it is part of their non-hum-drum everyday life.

I hope this both helps and makes sense.  If not, ignore it.
Oakley
Deck Hand

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 12:21:09 am »

Quite true.  I meant only to help Oakley find direction.  Certain accoutrements, elements and accessories work superbly well together, while others may not, hence researching desired personas.  Steampunk is so without rules that it is quite broad and difficult to say what is and is not typically steampunk, again researching personas can help with this, too.  True though that certain things just do not belong, like pleated pants.  Avoid those at all costs!

At any rate, have a look at steampunk.wonderhowto.com.  There are quite a few ideas to be found there.  One particular guide there in which you may have interest is "Steampunk on a Thrift-Store Budget: A Guide to Successful Thrifting"  The author offers good tips on what and what not to look for.  Be sure to read the comments, too, as some commenters have offered their input as well.  It's an old post, so questions in the comments may not be answered.  Granted, Oakley, you have mentioned your ability and desire to seaming material to make your own clothing items, these guides offer an idea of what sort of patterns may or may not be suitable for Steampunk.

Remember, Steampunk is an art form, a mode of expression.  Express yourself.  Either expressing who you are and what makes you tick (pun intended), or expressing who you desire to be.  For some it can be a form of escapism, a way to escape from hum drum of everyday life, and for others, it is part of their non-hum-drum everyday life.

I hope this both helps and makes sense.  If not, ignore it.

Thank you!
Oakley
Deck Hand

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 12:21:48 am »

This is very correct indeed.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 11:36:57 am »

So, I suppose what we are looking for here are what are the really generic elements to a Steampunk costume? I would suggest:

(1) A hat.

Hats in the Georgian, Victorian & Edwardian ears, and even up to pre-World War 2 were so important; almost nobody would be seen in public without one. They would indicate social status, profession, rank, etc. Of course in Steampunk you can have immense fun with their styles and additions; after all, in a crowd your hat will be the first thing people will see above the throng! And you may also wish to use it as a place to hang your goggles...

(2) Gloves.

Again, gloves were almost compulsory for public outings, especially for women. An elegant pair of gloves sets off an outfit, and there is plenty of choice in terms of material, length, fingerless or not, etc.

(3) Shoes.

Assuming the shoes can be seen (depending on length of skirt), pretty much everything already said for hats can be said for shoes, and like gloves the right choice adds immeasurably to an outfit. As mentioned above, spats are great and for an authentic Victorian look button-up boots are ideal, but this is Steampunk so again the imagination can go wild. Might have to work a bit harder to make trainers fit in, though...

(4) Jewelry.

The feel of an outfit can be completely changed with the right jewelry. Take, say, a below-the-knee plain black dress and add the right necklace, broach, rings and bangles and it can be time-shifted to anywhere between the Victorian era to the present. For Steampunk I personally would either go for Victorian style or some intricate looking embellishment using cogs and other machine parts (preferably functional!), but again lots could be incorporated - natural elements such as feathers or shells, elements of Art Nouveau, etc.

(5) Accessories.

Just like jewelry, these make the outfit. As Prof. Cecily mentioned, belts are definitely Steampunk and allow lots of things to be dangled off them (see below). I personally feel a handbag would look out of place if it didn't match (has anyone ever Steampunked a Gucci?) As mentioned above, corsets are often on display but if you didn't want a full corset but wished to maintain the look a waist-clincher does the job.

(6) Detail.

In all of this, one thing I always feel stands out in Steampunk is the level of detail put into all elements of an outfit. Exquisite levels of complexity and intricacy are a wonderful antidote to the modern trend of stripped-down minimalism. Lots of little mechanisms dangling off belts just seem so Steampunk to me - ray-guns, compasses, telescopes, scientific instruments, etc.

(7) Have fun!

All the above has to be subservient to the basic premise of Steampunk - having fun! Whether it's a full-blown Victorian outfit with a working Stirling engine back-pack or just a few carefully chosen elements, the key thing is to not take it too seriously and have fun with it!

All the best with whatever route you choose to take, and please do post up pictures!

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:09:13 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Serrac
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 11:52:35 pm »

Males often wear pants  Grin

But only under trousers unless you are a superhero. If you choose to wear a kilt, convention says one wears nothing underneath.

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: