The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 02:15:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Dwemer from TES series a good inspiration for Steampunks? (Pic Heavy)  (Read 888 times)
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« on: July 23, 2016, 05:50:49 am »

Looking at everything that is present in the various assets, designs, and lore for the Dwemer in the games, they seem to be very steamy, and I think there are some really cool ideas that could be incorporated in to our steampunk tendencies. What does everyone else think?

Wasn't sure where to put this, so if it needs moved, feel free to move it to where it belongs. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:05:32 pm by Mme. Ratchet » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 04:32:05 pm »

I don't know about Steampunks, but they're a good inspiration for my roommate! Grin

I imagine you're talking about Dwarven people. I'm not that familiar with The Elder Scrolls.

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 05:19:51 pm »

I'm assuming this is reference to a video game?

Not being a gamer and quite frankly not playing anything since Pong in 1972 can't really add anything.

Apart from being a multi million/ billion money making industry, I have really never understood the attraction of gaming, there ya go, each to their own, obviously a  popular way to waste time and alot of money.

Space Invaders, tried that once, bored in a nanosecond..........Dungeons and dragons the same........ oh and sonic the hedgehog, why? 20 pence wasted in my local chip shop IMHO.

Now, if you would care to post piccies of these Dwemer from TES (whatever the frick that may be) I may be able to comment  Undecided
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:29:22 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 05:36:07 pm »

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dwemer
It looks like they are some kind of elven race that might fit into medieval fantasy fiction. What did you intend to do with them? Have them fight the Martian tripods in rural England?

I've seen role playing games and supplements that tried to fit all the D&D type races into steampunk settings, and I thought it was a poor fit, but to each his own, I guess. Pretty much any scenario can be made cool and interesting if it's done right.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 05:55:51 pm »

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dwemer
It looks like they are some kind of elven race that might fit into medieval fantasy fiction. What did you intend to do with them? Have them fight the Martian tripods in rural England?

I've seen role playing games and supplements that tried to fit all the D&D type races into steampunk settings, and I thought it was a poor fit, but to each his own, I guess. Pretty much any scenario can be made cool and interesting if it's done right.
From that image, I would say more than heavy samurai influence, with long pointy ears, add a tweak here and there, mainly in armoury, could be steamy/ish.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 06:33:00 pm »

That guy looks like a babylonian to me.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 06:40:43 pm »

That guy looks like a babylonian to me.
waist down, maybe. Upper torso not so sure. Undecided
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 07:29:44 pm »

Eyebrows up he appears to be a hipster.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 07:51:51 pm »

groovy.

Oh. hipster, not Hippy, ye gads it's so hard to keep up with modern trends ya' know........
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 07:59:10 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 01:23:14 am »

How about de-mystefying the little buggers? Do what I did with the Elves.

I got inspired by the Guild people from Last Exile, where you had an elven looking people (actually genetically engineered humans), and in my case, I turned them into a race of real humans who belong to a "3rd gender" race of germanic people, with their own origin (German tribal migration during the last throes of Rome), with their own trials (persecution, diaspora).

My "elves" became expert mechanics and engineers aboard airships, fitting into a realistic alternate history (a world War over Mexico involving US/Prussia/UK and Confederate States/France/Austria)

You could figure out some involved way to have these dwarves be some sort of mountain people, with their own history. Say a race of miners from the mountains, and then fit them into some realistic historical context.

I'll even  send you a picture of my roommate who is from the Ozarks. Grin In Halloween he likes to dress up like a giant garden gnome Cheesy  He really fits the image of a fantasy story dwarf, being a short, strongly built up, bald dude complete with the long black beard  Grin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:37:40 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »

So, according to the in-game lore for them, they are a race of elves who had a strong affinity with magic, but rather than use the magic, they instead shunned it, and relied heavily on technology. Everything they built was incredibly advanced and steam-powered. They had both arms and armor which are really just rather attractive, but steam-powered automaton fighters (four major kinds: Spiders, Spheres, Ballistae, and Centurions), massive technological devices (they built a device to read the Elder Scrolls, which according to the in-game lore, would blind you if you attempted to read it or cause severe damages to space-time), and even their junk looks really cool Cheesy I went and grabbed some pictures of some of the Dwemer assets from a couple of the games, mostly Skyrim, to give some examples:

Dwarven Sphere:

Some random pictures of Dwemer:

Dwarven Ballista:

Interior of Dwemer Ruins (you can see all kinds of steam-powered contraptions and cool architecture in here):

A piece of Dwemer sheet metal:

Dwarven oil:

Dwarven Centurion:

A few various pieces of Dwemer junk (A couple of bowls, a couple of gears, a gyro, a couple of cups, and a couple of struts):

This is called a "Dwemer Box" and contains a powerful magical artifact, but the door itself just looks cool:

A big block of Dwemer metal:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: