The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 04:51:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More programs to catch if you have BBC iPlayer...  (Read 710 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 21, 2016, 11:24:05 pm »

It seems a couple of interesting programs popped up on the BBC this week. First was on sunday - The secret Agent with the always excellent Toby Jones as a man caught in anarchist movement in Victorian London. The other was on tonight, Full Steam Ahead, with the team that brought us The Victorian Farm etc. looking at the golden age of steam, starting with the Ffestiniog railway. Unfortunately I can't say much more about either as I'm current too busy to be able to sit down and properly watch them  Sad

Yours,
Miranda.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:59:14 pm »

I've seen one of those Victorian Farms, I think, but, actually, it may have been something else....no matter, if it's on the BBC my wife and I usually watch it. The Great Sewing Bee was good and The Irish Pub was interesting. We like them all so far. Pottery Throw Down (?), Hairy Bikers, on and on.

The main thing that strikes me is not only are they educational, but "reward"(depending on which show) is based upon how well/correct something is done. Quality is the main ingredient. Not let's see how fast or ridiculous we can make something.
Quality, professionalism, technique: the stuff that counts.

....and , of course, the lack of drama.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:05:01 pm »

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one to have noticed these. Glad I'm not the only one watching them.

The Secret Agent was VERY good (especially since I only became aware of it through chance), and offers a very nice look at Victorian London, with a 'mad scientist' thrown in for good measure. Not to mention offering inspiration for any writers amongst us, being based on contemporary thriller novel (not to mention the world's first 'spy novel' a good 50 years before James Bond).

Likewise Full Steam Ahead looks like it'll be another good and informative series from the Victorian Farm team (the same people did Edwardian Farm, and Ruth Goodman also did Victorian Pharmacy and both are worth watching you happen to come across them anywhere), especially having recently visited the Welsh Highland and Bleanau Ffestinog Railways.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:09:49 pm »

I found the Full Steam Ahead Very interesting, as all the previous stuff this crew have done, always a good watch.

Initial thoughts... The Secret Agent not an instant fan, just doesn't grab me for some reason, but will watch future episodes........

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 09:50:48 pm »

I did not get the end of the first episode of Secret Agent.  In the beginning there were too many characters in the background who appeared two or three times.  And the lady in a red silk leotard who had neglected to put her skirt on?  I thought it was a bit stagey.  I might pop in again for the next episode.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:27:58 pm »

Just found out about Secret Agent and just started watching.
Started on Full steam ahead but my so called smart tv crashed and I could not watch all of it.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »

I caught the repeat of Full Steam Ahead yesterday and enjoyed it but I'm afraid I thought Secret Agent was very slow; perhaps it would have flowed better as 2 episodes rather than 3.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 04:50:53 pm »

If you can get over Dave Myers slightly annoying delivery, could be intresting for some. be quick tho'
expires soon (7 days).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b07kwwvr
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 08:30:06 pm »

It appears that the very enjoyable Full Steam Ahead was so successful on BBC2 that they're repeating it a couple of months later on BBC1 with a different presenter and a different name, Railways: The Making of a Nation.

Same six parts, virtually the same six themes. Very peculiar...

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 05:47:38 pm »

Just found this, a repeat, but if not seen before may be of interest.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hsr7s/the-victorians-series-1-1-painting-the-town
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: