The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 12:10:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concept for Steampunk Weapon - The Vacuum Gun  (Read 864 times)
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 21, 2016, 07:58:25 pm »

The vacuum gun is the perfect (read grossly impractical) evil genius weapon, the victim simply disappears and the remains are disposed of later at the assassins leisure.

As I see it the vacuum gun would consist of a backpack mounted miniature steam engine running a vacuum pump to fully evacuate a pressure vessel. This vessel is connected to the 'gun' via a large diameter vacuum hose, like are used for railway braking systems, the gun consists of a pipe with a funnel on the end an a rapid opening valve at the other.

The vessel is evacuated and the steam engine allowed to idle (to allow a virtually silent approach), the funnel is placed next to the victim and the trigger (the valve) opened, the victim is instantly exposed to a perfect vacuum and 'disappears' through the hose into the pressure vessel.

I have the concept, now to build the prototype, next world domination! mwah! ha! ha!

Seriously though I now have a backstory / concept for my next build (hopefully in time for Asylum 2017, yes I am thinking that far ahead!), what do you think?

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:50:43 pm »

Did you just weaponize the vacuum cleaner?  Shocked

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 09:26:52 pm »

Great concept.

Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 09:36:51 pm »

Lovely, but I'd suspect that it'd be exceedingly messy and outrageously noisy.

An extreme version of the train/aircraft toilet.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 11:12:35 pm »

Did you just weaponize the vacuum cleaner?  Shocked

yes they did.

I love creating backstories to my weapon ideas. Makes them seem more real when there is a story connected to it
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 03:51:57 am »

The problem: one atmosphere of pressure is not even remotely powerful enough to squeeze the human body through the barrel of a gun.

Additional note: The term "Vacuum Gun" was used in the 1940's in comic books featuring a character named "Midnight". The character, created by Jack Cole (also creator of Plastic Man) used a device called the Vacuum Gun to fire suction cups on a retractable cord. The device could be used to climb walls or capture bad guys.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:01:26 am »

Perhaps its a black hole gun.  A contained and stabilized black hole that is used to pull in the intended victim.
Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 10:50:52 pm »

Perhaps its a black hole gun.  A contained and stabilized black hole that is used to pull in the intended victim.

That's a great idea.  Perhaps it fires a miniature black hole at the target, who then collapses into the black hole.
Then the vacuum kicks in and sucks the black hole back into the storage unit, for the next shot.

Perhaps I'd better not have another drink tonight...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:53:13 pm »

The second Thor movie had black hole grenades. I rather liked those.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 01:20:37 am »

A black hole gun would be a singular weapon indeed.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Serrac
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 01:34:47 pm »

The vessel is evacuated and the steam engine allowed to idle (to allow a virtually silent approach), the funnel is placed next to the victim and the trigger (the valve) opened, the victim is instantly exposed to a perfect vacuum and 'disappears' through the hose into the pressure vessel.

As soon as the body is exposed to a vacuum, the liquid content would boil off (the resulting steam could be captured and recycled for the steam plant). Once the water has been removed from the victim, you would be left with a relatively small quantity of solids to dispose of...

Certainly has possibilities and uses.

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 04:47:07 pm »

Not to demean the gravitas of the subject at hand, but vacuum and mass singularity are two very different concepts.

Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 08:07:00 am »

Not to demean the gravitas of the subject at hand, but vacuum and mass singularity are two very different concepts.

Quite so sir, but you must also recall that gravity only works because the Earth sucks.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 09:18:28 am »

Quite so sir, but you must also recall that gravity only works because the Earth sucks.

whenever I think of weaponized black holes I think of the orbital black hole weapon in one of the Godzilla movies. The Dimension Tide. I love the name
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 05:02:11 pm »

You're just trying to deflate the whole idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: