The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 11:52:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Defense of the "Nerf" Logo  (Read 653 times)
Harvey Midnight
Gunner
United States United States

« on: July 17, 2016, 05:02:52 pm »

Ok.. call it my own base laziness, I dunno...

When I paint a 'Nerf" gun into the steampunk style, there seem to be steps that everyone else takes, which I don't. I don't take them apart, as I don't have the technical skill nor the patience to put them back together.    

I don't use spray-paint for my primer-coat... I keep them in one piece and paint one side, then the other, with a dark gray acrylic color called 'Pavement'.

I do, of course, sand them quite a bit, to make sure the paint sticks. Plastic and paint don't always get along.

BUT--- as I was doing 'Youtube' based research on how to 'steampunk a Nerf gun'-- seems like nearly everyone uses a sanding tool, or just elbow-grease to completely get rid of the Nerf logo.  I've decided I oppose this practice.

Now, my first painted gun was a Nerf Doublestrike-- I used a bit of card-stock, cut into the shape of that little hole the Nerf logo is in, painted it to match the panel around it, and stuck it forever with sealant. But as I workin' on my most recent gun--- also a Doublestrike-- it just occurred to me:

Nerf designed the Maverick, the Hammershot, the Vagabond, the Doublestrike... ALL guns that are perfectly designed for Steampunk, Dieselpunk, post-apocalyptic gun props. Is there any OTHER brand of gun we so often use for these projects?  I should LOVE Nerf, for makin' these things in a style I admire!

So, just for me... again, maybe it's also just my laziness, in not wanting to fool with it -- but I decided I have enough positive regard for "Nerf" that I'm gonna keep their logo on the guns I paint from now on. Not gonna sand it off, gonna let it be displayed.

That is all.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:22:00 pm by Harvey Midnight » Logged
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 06:22:22 pm »

An interesting idea. It could do with a bit if backstory- how a plastic toy maker tuned into Nerf Heavy Munitions, for instance?
(Or would that be front story- as none of it will be/has/was/will/won't have happened yet... if you get my drift?? )

Grin

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 07:22:10 pm »

An interesting idea. It could do with a bit if backstory- how a plastic toy maker tuned into Nerf Heavy Munitions, for instance?
(Or would that be front story- as none of it will be/has/was/will/won't have happened yet... if you get my drift?? )

Grin

HP

Historically, don't you mean "How did a heavy munitions maker start making toys?"

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 07:57:25 pm »

Would that be the Norfolk-Edgeworth-Riley Firearms Co.?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 10:22:06 pm »

Grin

HP

Historically, don't you mean "How did a heavy munitions maker start making toys?"

That would depend upon which direction you approach history from, n'est ce pas?  Wink

HP
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 09:31:45 pm »

In order to preserve a 19th century look, I had thought of making logos in polymer clay or etched brass that spell out "Nerf" in the same typeface that Coca-Cola and the Ford Motor Company use.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 09:44:09 pm »

In order to preserve a 19th century look, I had thought of making logos in polymer clay or etched brass that spell out "Nerf" in the same typeface that Coca-Cola and the Ford Motor Company use.

was thinking that something like that would work well if you wanted it to say nerf. the curren logo is just to modern. Something that says Nerf Arms Co. or something would look good
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: