The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:49:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would Sky Captain be Considered Steampunk?  (Read 693 times)
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« on: July 07, 2016, 09:10:59 am »

Hey There Everyone, i was Just Wondering Something & Thought I'd Ask:would the Movie Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow be Considered Steampunk? it's a Question that Keeps Bugging every so often. Thanks For Looking.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 03:16:59 pm »

To me Dieselpunk, not steam, none the less a good film if I recall correctly.

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 03:38:25 pm »

It's definitely a retro homage to the old serials like Flash Gordon.  Not sure what they classify those old movies as, probably not "punk" specifically, but dieselpunk or atompunk might be closer than steampunk.

steampunk sort of seems like it is 1800's stuff stretched farther than it really got.  so reliable and mainstream airship travel, rather than fixed wing craft (no Wright brothers).  steam powered stuff rather than combustion engine.  Gears and paper tape rather than vacuum tubes and circuits for computers.

That's by no means definitive or expert-like, but it guides my sensibility.  The Sherlock holmes movies (Robert Downey) are closer steampunk than Sky Captain is if nothing else for the era and examples of "sci-fi" technology.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:49:44 pm »

Same concept, different era.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 05:14:16 am »

If I had to select a weekend's worth of movies for the Steampunk video room, Sky Captain would be on my list.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 11:45:46 am »

I'm going to be the hard liner here.  Sky Captain IS Dieselpunk.  Not that I wouldn't have it in my library.  Quite the contrary, I'm more than willing to play Dieselpunk, and there's always room for it (as my obsession with Last Exile, which I also consider to be more Dieselpunk than Steampunk, although it may be considered to be both).

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 10:47:43 pm »

Sky Captain IS Dieselpunk.  Not that I wouldn't have it in my library. 

Personally I'd have almost anything with Jude Law in my library - good grief, I even watched A.I.!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:18:21 am »

Anything fantastical or retrofuturistic that features aesthetic influence from the 1920s to the 1950s, or as some now (slightly controversially) feel from 1912 to 1957 to be precise, could be considered to be Dieselpunk. Right along side films such as The Rocketeer, Indiana Jones, Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Mummy and more recently the first Captain America movie, Sky Captain is considered one of the quintessential Dieselpunk films.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: