The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 07:40:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blog temporarily offline  (Read 697 times)
proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Gravatar

brasstech
« on: June 29, 2016, 05:42:56 pm »

Wordpress became corrupted during a security patch; I can't just restore and leave the site vulnerable in this case. I'm migrating the blog to a new service, but it will take a few days.  There is a mention in the forum's News banner.

--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 08:43:41 pm »

Somehow I doubt anyone would have noticed, it being so dead...  Undecided

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

brasstech
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:39:21 pm »

You'd be surprised how much legitimate traffic the blog gets; it seems to remain a fairly useful resource for people, else I'd consider just shutting that part down permanently (it by far gets the most attack attempts as well).

On the upside, moving it to an off-site service should both improve the forum performance and make it easier to set up contributions again.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 06:06:35 pm »

Hmmm.... seems their is still a bit of life in the old blog yet, then.  Smiley

I suppose that is probably due to all the numerous steampunk related blogs / web sites that have BG in their links. Quite a few of those are now dead or have not been updated in a very long time, still it seems there is obviously a lot of people clicking through the links sections looking for a live bite.

I wonder if we could install some automated script tool to scrape the forum for "Most recent / active Forum posts" and add a section on the main page of the blog that is live / updated several times a day. Self generating content.... Wink

Would at least provide a flicker of a heartbeat that shows the blog is connected to something still alive.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 02:53:13 am »

I didn't realize that BG was so dead that a month of downtime would go unnoticed. Nobody even bothered to comment on Spare Goggles. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 03:19:35 am »

Nobody commented on Spare Goggles as the BG forum has never been down - downtime is only with the blog page...

Wait....are you suggesting people are still viewing the forum via the link in the blog page, rather than the direct forum URL (as is presented by Google search for "brassgoggles"...)?   Huh

Hmmm, it HAS been a little quiet lately on new posts, but the forum stats for the past month seem to be pretty much identical to the previous month without the missing blog page. I'm not really seeing it, but if you know of others who think BG has been down for a month, please let us know!  Undecided
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 01:28:48 am »

I thought the whole forum was down, in read-only mode. I hadn't tried to post since that announcement went up.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 04:28:19 am »

Ahhh...

Well, welcome back!  Grin Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: