The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 23, 2018, 10:28:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 16300 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #600 on: December 09, 2017, 06:35:14 pm »

phone is non-functional and my dad is trying to call me...and i have NO way to let him know my phone is broken

Do you have a tablet or PC? Call him on Skype.

that would be a great idea, if my dad had skype?

For $3 per month in Skype you can call out any phone number with unlimited minutes, in your local region (I imagine all of Europe; they usually have 3 or 4 plans depending on which part of the world you want to call). For another $15 every three months, they give you a phone number so people can call you from any phone (that includes answering service).

Failing all of the above, if he installs Skype in his phone then like you say it would be all free.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:38:33 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #601 on: December 10, 2017, 08:37:48 am »

phone is non-functional and my dad is trying to call me...and i have NO way to let him know my phone is broken

For $3 per month in Skype you can call out any phone number with unlimited minutes, in your local region (I imagine all of Europe; they usually have 3 or 4 plans depending on which part of the world you want to call). For another $15 every three months, they give you a phone number so people can call you from any phone (that includes answering service).

Failing all of the above, if he installs Skype in his phone then like you say it would be all free.

i don't think old nokias support skype. i will look into the other option though

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #602 on: December 16, 2017, 06:00:38 am »

Totaled my car last week. Had it right at four years, two months. Put 65k miles on it on that time. Tow lot wants $200 for towing it less than 5 miles.

And on top of all of that, pretty sure I've lost my job, as it's been nearly 3 weeks, I've called, texted, nothing. My boss freaking ghosted me. Dafuq?

Still, on the bright, I DO have an interview Monday. Praying it goes well, as it's full time, shift work, with INSANE benefits package.

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #603 on: December 16, 2017, 09:43:57 am »

Totaled my car last week. Had it right at four years, two months. Put 65k miles on it on that time. Tow lot wants $200 for towing it less than 5 miles.

And on top of all of that, pretty sure I've lost my job, as it's been nearly 3 weeks, I've called, texted, nothing. My boss freaking ghosted me. Dafuq?

Still, on the bright, I DO have an interview Monday. Praying it goes well, as it's full time, shift work, with INSANE benefits package.

Been there. When I totalled mine it was 7 years old and absolutely looked like new before the collision.

i don't think old nokias support skype. i will look into the other option though

Well, yeah. If he installs Skype in his phone he can call a computer or tablet you'd have access to and you have previously loaded with Skype - for free. Instead of calling a phone number he's "calling your username"
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #604 on: December 18, 2017, 03:18:38 am »

laptop blew the cooling system and won't boot up because it's too dangerous with the cooling unit. took it apart and found it has some bizarre esoterric cooling system construction. I can get replacement parts cheaply enough, have to order them online, and they will take much longer to get here than I have due to holiday mail being what it is.

in the process of diagnosing the issue the clip for the keyboard ribbon cable snapped, I can hack a solution for that, and then the battery lock jammed ... and then broke off. sigh I can cobble a fix to that too, but frankly a laptop that was barely up to the task, already with missing bits to the case, with a hacked together keyboard ribbon, and battery holder...

I just bought a replacement that should allow me to not only do my trip but also many of the things I couldn't do before using the old one.

I will still fix up the other one when I get back though. I just don't have the time right now.

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #605 on: December 18, 2017, 12:33:50 pm »

New (used) car.
Just spent some time this morning to have the paperwork done and the car registered on my name.
Then went shopping
car park
car infront of me stops
turns right
stops
reverses
at this point I startet using the horn
car reverses and hits me.
driver goes forward
I jumped out of my car, ran to his window.
After about 10 vicious blows he noticed me and stopped
of course
hasn´t heard any horn
hasn´t felt any impact
hasn´t noticed me knocking at first.

Old lady said she saw all happen I asked for her address (insurance will surely want a witness statement)
No, I do not want to....and disappeared.

He has just hit my right front tyre with his tow coupling.
I will now have to go to the workshop to have the alignment of the fron wheels checked and the suspension inspected for damage.
Great first day with that car.

Blind and deaf old men should not drive.
Upside.
Found a witness.
No-one was injured.

Now for the paperwork with the other driver´s insurance.
This might take some time.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #606 on: December 27, 2017, 03:44:10 am »

I have a car related aggravation... On Christmas eve my husband wanted to surprise me after work with a clean and detailed car. Well the place he took it to got it clean, but it wouldn't start. We got it towed to the house, then today we had it towed to the dealership. The dealership says there is water damage in the interior components where water shouldn't be, the carwash denies  that they did anything wrong. And of course the part needed to fix it (hopefully) will take until Friday to get in.... Gah.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #607 on: December 27, 2017, 07:37:03 am »

I have a car related aggravation... On Christmas eve my husband wanted to surprise me after work with a clean and detailed car. Well the place he took it to got it clean, but it wouldn't start. We got it towed to the house, then today we had it towed to the dealership. The dealership says there is water damage in the interior components where water shouldn't be, the carwash denies  that they did anything wrong. And of course the part needed to fix it (hopefully) will take until Friday to get in.... Gah.

That must be some thorough wash!  Shocked
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #608 on: December 27, 2017, 02:17:16 pm »

That must be some thorough wash!  Shocked

I had a similar problem with a former car, and have known it happen to other people. In my case the engine compartment and under the bonnet was steam cleaned, however, the bonnet was (presumably) then closed immediately afterwards, meaning that the steam condensed under the bonnet and dripped down into the cylinder heads, making the spark plugs short.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #609 on: December 28, 2017, 06:04:55 am »

Well, whatever they washed wasn't supposed to get wet.... And with it being a hybrid, there are plenty of things that didn't need a wash. The dealership said that they'd never seen this before. I'm just hoping to get some repayment out of it.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #610 on: January 02, 2018, 04:42:30 am »

My best friend's grandmother passed away yesterday (Jan 1st)  Cry

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #611 on: January 02, 2018, 08:56:20 am »

Not anything like a major GAH in the grand scheme of things, but it seems like an awfully long time since I was last promoted - after being promoted, then demoted, too!
Kitty Palatine
Swab

« Reply #612 on: January 04, 2018, 12:50:09 am »

Flu. I hate the flu. Husband went down with it Christmas day. I went down two days later. He gets sod all sick pay, I need to use up annual leave. Both of us still off work. And through it all a hyper three year old with cabin fever and a working flu innoculation.

Buggritmillenniumhandandshrimp.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #613 on: January 04, 2018, 04:43:07 am »

I'm editing video of my makerspace journey, the first one posted Tuesday morning. The second one is delayed because the stupid video editing froze up and had to be force quit twice ... losing all the editing I'd done each time. I finally got it worked out.

Alos trying to work out why the editing software is decreasing the image quality of my videos and throwing up black bars on the side too. sigh, I'll figure it out eventually.

Oh and I'm headed out to the next part of the trip tomorrow afternoon. An hours drive away... in a snow storm.

The next day I'm off to another state, and then another the next day, and then back tracking to here for a couple of days, and then back through the same states again to another place and after that I'm untethered, I'll officially be a days journey away from 'home' and won't be back for 3 months. and some of the journey is through cold regions, and I've not yet secured places to stay other than my car, largely because some places I had arranged are suddenly unavailable, and some clearly are unwelcoming to outsiders that won't spend big money to stay in their towns.

Soo, I'm a little stressed, and don't feel even remotely read, but ready or not here we go.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #614 on: January 04, 2018, 07:57:46 am »

Go for it rovingjack!
Fair winds and a happy return!

My gah -  went out to move the car yesterday afternoon so the the mower bloke could mow. A one-metre or so brown snake chose that moment to slither across the path and, dammit, under the house! It's from two yards down, and working its way across to the creek (I most sincerely hope!). Fortunately, I have a little porch, with two steps, so we weren't on the same level, but it was gone before I could take the long handle to it!

Normally, I would leave them alone, but snakes in the yard are bad news, and cost me a dog and a cat last year - if it's in the house yard and I can get at it it's toast! If it's not near the house I will leave well enough alone. I did run over a red-bellied black the other day coming home from town, but it was right where I was going and I wasn't stopping for it!! Rule one when driving in Oz, don't swerve to miss the wildlife!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #615 on: January 05, 2018, 12:55:27 am »

snow is half a meter deep here, and still falling for 4 more hours of blizzard.

I'm fairly sure even if I could get my car out that wherever I was going is so covered in snow that I couldn't get in. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things look over the next day or so.

the videos I've been making for a few years all look weird on my new laptop for some reason, they were fine on youtube on the last laptop but now they all look like they a formatted wrong.

The videos don't look all that bad to me just formatted wrong.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #616 on: January 05, 2018, 03:13:48 am »

Going to be well into the 40sC here tomorrow - sigh!  Cheesy
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #617 on: January 06, 2018, 02:33:45 pm »

So a few months ago, after a lifetime of smoking I gave up and started vaping, all well and good, I quit and vaped instead, got to be healthier I thought.

I have had nothing but problems....... Constant chapped lips, mouth ulcers, dry throat, pain in my left lung and the biggest nastiest spots since puberty, both on my face and scalp.

I kinda expected a few quit zits but.....

So after a google, I am not the only one to experience a reaction to the juice.

As a result I am back on too many roll ups a day, and smoking again.  Sad

GAAAAAHHHHHH!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:51:03 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #618 on: January 06, 2018, 11:24:27 pm »

So a few months ago, after a lifetime of smoking I gave up and started vaping, all well and good, I quit and vaped instead, got to be healthier I thought.

I have had nothing but problems....... Constant chapped lips, mouth ulcers, dry throat, pain in my left lung and the biggest nastiest spots since puberty, both on my face and scalp.
That's a reaction to PG (polywallydoodahglycol). You need to use VG (glycerine). My wife had the same problem.
http://vaping360.com/pg-vs-vg-what-is-the-difference-and-what-should-i-use/

£1.50 a bottle from Boots, add your own flavours and nicotine.

And please DON'T go back to rollups! (Take it from One Who Knows)

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #619 on: January 07, 2018, 01:20:13 am »

That's a reaction to PG (polywallydoodahglycol). You need to use VG (glycerine). My wife had the same problem.

Give up both!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #620 on: January 07, 2018, 03:09:19 am »

Give up both!

I third and expand by saying give up on all vices altogether. Truth be told, we don't have enough data yet to know long term effects of vaping. It is assumed to be safe, but not enough people have been doing it for enough decades to actually have a definitive answer on that.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #621 on: January 07, 2018, 11:18:36 am »

Give up both!

I third and expand by saying give up on all vices altogether. Truth be told, we don't have enough data yet to know long term effects of vaping. It is assumed to be safe, but not enough people have been doing it for enough decades to actually have a definitive answer on that.
I have been a chain smoker for more than 30 years, giving up the demon weed is more difficult than you might think. Visiting the quack and maybe patches is on the list, if I can get an appointment.

Vaping was the original plan to ween myself off the addiction. Both tactile and fulfilling the constant crave.

Plan B is on my mind.

I'm actually looking forward to being able to have a shave again once these plukes go away, (yes it really is that bad)................ Cry
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:30:59 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #622 on: January 08, 2018, 04:57:47 pm »

... Truth be told, we don't have enough data yet to know long term effects of vaping. It is assumed to be safe, but not enough people have been doing it for enough decades to actually have a definitive answer on that.

Actually it's been in fairly constant use since the 70's / 80's in discos and nightclubs in the smoke machines, so plenty of people have been exposed, and many working in such environments will have had near daily exposure for a number of years. So far nothing seems to have surfaced that can be linked to exposure.

For now the only thing that we can say for definite, is that it is at least somewhat safer than smoking tobacco products.

Actually, I must confess - I have been thinking of going this route myself as I am also a smoker of roll-ups, and have been a smoker since I was 12 (so 28 years)...  Undecided

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #623 on: January 10, 2018, 09:29:15 am »

UGH, first one of the hard drives in my computer died. Then, a few days later, the machine refused to wake up from sleep mode, and upon hard reboot, Windows refuse to start up. Repair does absolutely nothing, and I am currently stuck with a live Knoppix CD (which is a major pain in the bum) and no way of extracting the install key for Windows from the registry (since I managed to lose the damn sticker with it) :/
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #624 on: January 15, 2018, 09:14:37 pm »

The stupidity of people has no bounds.

Now that we are going to get our *third* two-day cold wave of winter  Roll Eyes people are going crazy thinking we're going to *die* because we will get a mix precipitation in the form of snow, sleet and ice when the temperature goes down to a "mind-numbing" -6 C/20 F  Lips sealed *facepalm* Give me a break.  Roll Eyes

Now that the weather is all screwed up, anyone born after 2000 (or who came from California, a majority of residents since 2000) doesn't even *know* what a winter looks like. They're like puppies going outside when they see their first snow.  Cheesy They're clearing the super shelves like they're going to be snowed in for a month.  Undecided

The TV newscasters are partially responsible for this. The headline:

"MAJOR WINTER STORM COULD BRING CENTRAL TEXAS TO A STANDSTILL"
"A winter storm warning had been issued for the metro area and the entire KVUE viewing area. Freezing rain, sleet and snow are all expected to be a threat. Significant ice accumulations of around 1/10 of an inch are possible, with isolated amounts as high as 1/4 inch. As much as 1 inch of snow accumulation is possible"

-All the humanity!

I clearly remember as a young lad being outside our local super, collecting and hauling shopping carts for one hour, WITH ice and snow, at similar temperaures back when I first got to Austin in 1993. I had a Ford Escort car and was driving also back then. I remember getting snow every year for at least a week in December until 2000. I remember giant sheets of ice on the road for MOST of January and part of December, every year throughout the 1990s. I skidded off the road and *lived to tell the tale*  Roll Eyes twice then - please give me a medal of valour  Roll Eyes Cheesy

But people today are preparing like this is the end of the world. AAAARGH! PEOPLE ARE SO STOOPID!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:40:07 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: