The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 11:09:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 13673 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #550 on: October 01, 2017, 10:16:13 pm »

sometimes i think i'm good at english

and sometimes i'm trying to read books that are just above my level -_- I want to read it, gdi! i also want to be able to read it without looking words up every 10 sentences

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #551 on: October 02, 2017, 12:14:41 am »

It's a good way to learn, Caledonian!
I'm a highly literate, well-read native English speaker, Grin and I always have a dictionary, if not by my side, then at least in the same room as me!
But I admit it's annoying to have to break the flow to look up a word, but even more annoying if one reads on, with the the "what the hell did that mean?" thought doing circles in the brain!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:17:30 am by Banfili » Logged
Elderdryas
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #552 on: October 02, 2017, 01:13:49 am »

Just a quick question as our democracy is dying - at least in Spain (Catalonia) - Victorin London is and always under a monarch, right? Is there literature that shows a democratic London in the steampunk era?

Absalom Ezra Parsons gentleman, entrepreneur, founder of the Falcon Post, all your mail when you need it where you need it
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #553 on: October 02, 2017, 02:03:33 am »

Just a quick question as our democracy is dying - at least in Spain (Catalonia) - Victorin London is and always under a monarch, right? Is there literature that shows a democratic London in the steampunk era?

You're confusing two different concepts. One is monarchy and the other is democracy. The two are not mutually exclusive. That is the whole point of Parliament and having a Prime Minister.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_of_the_United_Kingdom

And while I detest the way that Spain is dealing with its breakaway province right now, technically Spain is also a parliamentary and constitutional monarchy with a "President of the Government" (i.e. Prime Minister) separate from the monarch as well.

You can call any form of government a "Democracy" and you still can get appalling results. That is because democracy is simply a tool to have the will of the people enforced. It doesn't say anything about whether the people are educated enough to understand the problems, and much less whether the public is able to elect leaders who are competent (!). One of the central aspects of the Republic as forwarded by Thomas Jefferson (?) is that the people need to be well informed and educated on the issues in order to exercise and have an effective democracy. Otherwise... well I won't go there as it is a political discussion - just watch Saturday Night Live.

[mod hat]I remind all readers that we have a no-politics policy in this forum[/mod hat]

By the way, it is the Parliament system is somewhat analogous to our own Congress in the American Republic (and while it did not start as a bicameral congress, it transformed into a bicameral one with lower and upper houses - no doubt inspired by the British Parliament tradition; ie. House of Lords = Senate, House of Commons = House of Representatives).

Having said that there was a brief period when the Kingdom of England was left without a monarch- during the English Civil War, fought between the Parliamentarians ("Roundheads") and the Royalists ("Cavaliers"), As a result of the defeat of the Royalists, King Charles I was executed, and the kingdom became The Commonwealth of England (1649–1653) and later the Protectorate under the personal rule of Oliver Cromwell (1653–1658).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Civil_War

I guess you could arrange for a "2nd British Civil War" in the Industrial Revolution period.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:07:06 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #554 on: October 02, 2017, 07:45:07 am »

I guess you could arrange for a "2nd British Civil War" in the Industrial Revolution period.

There sort of was one with the rise of the Chartists (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartism), a popular working class movement demanding a whole range of rights to make society more democratic.

However it was largely diffused by the government using the cunning ploy of slowly but surely capitulating to all their demands (except one, annual elections).

I would be surprised if there were no fiction where the Imperial Government had stood its ground and triggered a Russian-style revolution in Britain, as Marx predicted.

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #555 on: October 02, 2017, 07:46:00 am »

Having said that there was a brief period when the Kingdom of England was left without a monarch- during the English Civil War, fought between the Parliamentarians ("Roundheads") and the Royalists ("Cavaliers"), As a result of the defeat of the Royalists, King Charles I was executed, and the kingdom became The Commonwealth of England (1649–1653) and later the Protectorate under the personal rule of Oliver Cromwell (1653–1658).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Civil_War

You say that, but really during the Commonwealth Period Cromwell was literally "King in all but name" (his son even, albeit briefly, succeeded him as 'Lord Protector' following his death). Part of the problem there was that no one had any idea how a country should be run without a monarch, so Cromwell was simply made a de facto king, just without the title and some of the trappings.

In terms of a non monarchic 19th century Britain you're most likely looking at a Napoleonic invasion in which the monarch is deposed since the structure of government that led to both the French and Russian revolutions doesn't really exist in Britain past the Glorious Revolution and Act of Settlement in the late 17th Century.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #556 on: October 02, 2017, 09:04:58 pm »

trying to get sleep in my car when the outside temperature is just above freezing. It's very difficult. But to do that and then get up 3 hours early for an interview for a job around dawn. I'm exhausted and can't get warm even no indoors, and when I drove with the heat on in my car... I almost fell asleep at the wheel.

gahhh 2, my mum messaged me. trying to guilt me into inviting that drama back into my life when I'm not eating as well as I should and sleeping in an ice cold car at night. I just need a break from it. Let me concentrate on surviving.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #557 on: October 10, 2017, 06:13:15 pm »

Temperature snap between 32 C/90 F and 15 C/ 60 F, overnight. Welcome to Texas. If you don't like the weather just sit and wait for 15 minutes.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #558 on: October 10, 2017, 08:58:05 pm »

Bit like Melbourne!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #559 on: October 10, 2017, 09:38:19 pm »

MORONS!!!!

Being a voluntary fireman can sometimes be hard.

During the last few weeks we had quite a number of false alarms.
Morons smoking right under a smoke detector.
Morons working in a big factory building and welding right under a smoke detector.
Morons not getting out of the way when they see a big (7.5 or 10 tons) red car with flashing lights and siren approaching.
Morons getting in the way while we work and try to save lives....

Morons everywhere these days.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #560 on: October 11, 2017, 04:48:50 pm »

and sometimes i'm trying to read books that are just above my level -_- I want to read it, gdi! i also want to be able to read it without looking words up every 10 sentences

I think that your English is relatively good, & I have understood everything of yours that I have read.  Congratulations on your efforts to improve, & do not be discouraged if you run into a word or phrase that you don't understand.  Look it up or ask (here, for example) for help.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #561 on: October 11, 2017, 08:30:32 pm »

I do most of my reading in English (because Slovene translations are generally poopy) and this is the exact reason why I love my e-reader. If I run across a word I don't know, all I need to do is double-tap it and it'll bring up a dictionary definition or ten.  Smiley

And yes, I know that e-readers are not everyone's cup of tea, but I prefer them to carrying around 100+ books. (I usually read more than one book at the same time)

And for the record, Caledonian, if you ask me, your English is impeccable. Smiley

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #562 on: October 11, 2017, 09:32:28 pm »

Caledonian, I second that, I haven't seen any language faults

As an aside, several Dutch people I've known were good at English. And I've known a lot of Germans who speak very good English as well.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #563 on: October 26, 2017, 05:43:18 pm »

Some B*$7*RD has nicked the antenna off my car. And they have managed to damage the roof mount base in the process, so now my roof leaks around the hole for the antenna connection.  Angry Angry Angry

This is the latest in a line of 'things' that have been targeted at me lately, I swear if one more thing happens, I will be waiting for the c*** with a baseball bat!!

I am NOT in a good mood.  Angry

I have just purchased a replacement on Amazon Prime, so should be here tomorrow. Only cost £7, but if it goes missing again, I *will* be waiting for the culprit, and *THEY* will go missing...

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #564 on: October 27, 2017, 02:45:59 am »

can you electrify a dummy antenna so they get a nasty jolt when they cut grab it again?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #565 on: October 27, 2017, 10:51:04 am »

A technique I've heard of to stop the same is to put a drawing pin at the base of the antennae and cover it with electrical tape (with the point sticking out obviously) so that anyone trying to grab it gets stabbed in the hand.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #566 on: October 27, 2017, 12:12:29 pm »

I recommend an old cowfence generator with the overload protection circuit "tuned".
Some people need a lesson.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #567 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:53 am »

Strep throat. Like a mule kicked my neck. Starting on Friday. Kept me grounded the whole weekend I'll probably be sick past Halloween. Hopefully nothing too bad extending into next weekend. But the cold fronts we're getting feel so uncomfortable.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #568 on: October 31, 2017, 04:52:11 am »

So I've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, bipolar, extreme ADHD, PTSD, and insomnia.

I have an anxiety issue.

My medications are not working.

I am two steps from a massive panic attack. I'm grounding as best I can, but even my breathing exercises are not working. I'm falling apart tonight and it's like watching a train wreck. I see I'm being illogical, but I can't stop the brain from what my therapist calls a recursion loop.

It's like watching yourself lose your mind.

It's terrifying. And I'm scared. And I really do feel I'm losing myself.

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #569 on: October 31, 2017, 11:06:14 am »

Not as serious as Xenos, but right now I can't sleep. My nose is like a broken beer tap, and my throat feels like a mule kicked it. Tomorrow I may not have a voice at all.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #570 on: October 31, 2017, 02:04:41 pm »

"I'm falling apart tonight and it's like watching a train wreck."

Xenos, that's a heavy load to carry, and I don't quite know what to say to you except try and hang in there, take one small step, then another, and one breath at a time. The best way out is always through, and I think you can do it. Will light a candle for you and send a prayer your way.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #571 on: November 01, 2017, 11:37:23 pm »

So I've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder, bipolar, extreme ADHD, PTSD, and insomnia.

I have an anxiety issue.

I am two steps from a massive panic attack. I'm grounding as best I can, but even my breathing exercises are not working. I'm falling apart tonight and it's like watching a train wreck. I see I'm being illogical, but I can't stop the brain from what my therapist calls a recursion loop.

I'm glad to see you again, though sad it's under such circumstances. I hope you are doing better today.

As far as recommendations of things that have helped my panic attacks  and recursive looping of thoughts(aside from b vitamin supplements):
Managing anxiety and depression- create something
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #572 on: November 02, 2017, 12:58:20 am »

I have an anxiety issue.

I'm glad to see you again, though sad it's under such circumstances. I hope you are doing better today.

As far as recommendations of things that have helped my panic attacks  and recursive looping of thoughts(aside from b vitamin supplements): Managing anxiety and depression- create something

Aye, that's one thing my former therapist was working with me on was finding external focuses when I get into the Loop.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.  Depends on what the situation is what put me in the state in the first place.  For instance, here lately it's been...  Well, not going into what it's been, because it's been terrible.  But the only solution to the panic and anxiety that comes from it we've found is to go ahead and let me have the attack, then try and recover and rest as best I can after.

Still, it was in the vein of creating and doing and taking your mind off of things that I started a Private RP Forum for my D&D group.  Been working on that since Thursday, and already we've got NPC Posting Profiles, a dice rolling system, forum ranks with alternating images for them, draft saving (for those who have trouble with hitting the delete button and LOSING EVERYTHING), and a few other things.  That's helped some.  Same with Fallout 4 and Skyrim and a whole bunch of other games.

So I'm doing better today (plus yesterday was group therapy, that's always a help), and my job (not the same one I was at last time I was on this forum) is a great focus as well.

It's just some days it's overwhelming.  OK, MOST days it's overwhelming.  But I'm soldering on, doing what I do, and trying to fix what I broke.

One day, maybe, I'll get there. 

Or maybe not.

Just try and keep moving forward, turn on the Porcupine Tree (I would say throw back some booze, but I'm not allowed to drink on my meds, and I can't NOT take my meds--trust me, I get...  icky), light up the hookah, and fire up Postal 2.

And I am sorry, guys--I don't mean to just dump.  GOOD has been going on in my life too.  Maybe I should post in the Happy thread, too, so I'm not a downer.  I'm'a do that.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #573 on: November 03, 2017, 09:06:23 pm »

I have been away from Brass Goggles also, but good to see you back here, Xenos!!

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #574 on: November 06, 2017, 06:17:03 pm »

Mother-in-law in hospital.
Husband has fallen and sprained his ankle.
Horrible burning smell from cars clutch.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: