The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 10:59:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 13633 times)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #525 on: September 03, 2017, 10:18:16 pm »

So with no Skype and no Email, this device is only good enough to browse through brassgoggles and not much else.
What about using it as a music player? Roll Eyes

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #526 on: September 03, 2017, 10:40:38 pm »

So with no Skype and no Email, this device is only good enough to browse through brassgoggles and not much else.
What about using it as a music player? Roll Eyes

Well it already is that. It's the only device that fits into the dock of the Victorian Boombox. Sadly it is now all cracked and looks horrible I may want to upgrade the Boombox to Bluetooth and get rid of the iPod dock altogether.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #527 on: September 04, 2017, 12:57:24 am »

I'm using an LG Ultima 3G/Next G - in fact I have two, but someone is 'playing' with the other one, and getting it back is proving difficult! I like it. It is small, so it doesn't feel like ringing up on a tablet or iPad, has a 32gb mini SD card option (utilised) as well as whatever gb the phone had originally. Well under the AU$100 inc postage, so very well under US$100. Calculator, calendar, camera, video player, Gmail, fm radio, maps etc., navigation, messenger, latitude, Google+, &  loads of room for music.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #528 on: September 04, 2017, 03:49:45 am »

I'm using an LG Ultima 3G/Next G - in fact I have two, but someone is 'playing' with the other one, and getting it back is proving difficult! I like it. It is small, so it doesn't feel like ringing up on a tablet or iPad, has a 32gb mini SD card option (utilised) as well as whatever gb the phone had originally. Well under the AU$100 inc postage, so very well under US$100. Calculator, calendar, camera, video player, Gmail, fm radio, maps etc., navigation, messenger, latitude, Google+, &  loads of room for music.

Well, I've heard good reviews for the LG. It has 16 GB of storage and 1.5 GB RAM. I'd wish for a little more RAM as websites are so full of advertisement crap and java scripts that even 2GB can get overwhelmed. But my situation is I will need one now, and being a "no contract phone" means I can activate it when I need it. I've had Virgin mobile before. They'll force you to recharge your phone card every month or else your unused minutes will go to zero, but at least I have the option of not using it until I need it for a job or something. I'll have to mail order it for the 7th, as my local Walmart is out of it, and I don't feel like trekking around town on bus to chase it across various Walmarts.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #529 on: September 04, 2017, 09:15:56 am »

Well, I've heard good reviews for the LG. It has 16 GB of storage and 1.5 GB RAM. I'd wish for a little more RAM as websites are so full of advertisement crap and java scripts that even 2GB can get overwhelmed. But my situation is I will need one now, and being a "no contract phone" means I can activate it when I need it. I've had Virgin mobile before. They'll force you to recharge your phone card every month or else your unused minutes will go to zero, but at least I have the option of not using it until I need it for a job or something. I'll have to mail order it for the 7th, as my local Walmart is out of it, and I don't feel like trekking around town on bus to chase it across various Walmarts.
I'm on the phone usually disabled Java.

It saves my nerves and bandwidth.

Most interesting to me sites I can watch it without Java.

However, through the phone, I mainly watch the news and something like that.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #530 on: September 04, 2017, 09:36:27 am »

Essentially I use my phone for phone calls & texts & the odd photo, vary rarely for anything else. It does have the capability, but I usually leave the Bluetooth/WiFi switched off until I really need it. That usually happens when I am out somewhere!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #531 on: September 04, 2017, 11:20:01 am »

I've been invited for a job interview, on the same day that I'm being sent on a training course from my job.  Why the two have to fall on the same day....

~~~Addendum~~~

I've been able to reschedule the interview.  Gah! (or one of them) resolved. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:39:06 pm by James Harrison » Logged

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #532 on: September 05, 2017, 12:44:30 am »

Essentially I use my phone for phone calls & texts & the odd photo, vary rarely for anything else. It does have the capability, but I usually leave the Bluetooth/WiFi switched off until I really need it. That usually happens when I am out somewhere!

Ended up buying today, as this is "Labour Day" in the US, and I don't want to stay at home doing nothing. I took the bus across town and was lucky to find the LG Tribute.

Looks good so far: $50 gets you this (no contract) phone:

LG Tribute HD

Android 6
720 x 1280 pixels screen
8 MP back, 5 MP front camera
Qualcomm Snapdragon 212 8909 v2, Quad-core, 1300 MHz, ARM Cortex-A7
Graphics processor: Adreno 304
1.5 GB RAM
16 GB (Maximum User Storage 9.93 GB, rest is for operating system)
32 GB Micro SD card slot
2100 mAh battery

I'll be playing with it tonight before activating it...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #533 on: September 05, 2017, 01:23:24 am »

Nice looking phone, just a smidge bigger than mine!
Just looked at the box for mine - LG Optimus not Ultima (sorry for the mislead!) L3 (LG-E400f) Android 6, 8.1cm (3.2inch)QVGA, 3MP front camera, FM Radio, 1GHz CPU, 1540 mAh Battery, 32 GB Micro SD card slot, etc.,
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #534 on: September 05, 2017, 03:49:56 am »

OK I tried an RP group. I will not name names I do not want to come off as badmouthing or bashing, but is it or is it not rude to invite a newbie to a scene and their only capacity to participate is to look at the pretty colors and make mouth noises...when i've spent the day with my brother going on like i'm a moron and my stepdad constant jabbing, and my sister being her usual lovely hellbitch self? me: I DO THIS SHIT AS A HOBBY NOT TO BE STRESSED OUT So... I'm sure the place has good people, but when their staff response to an established IMPORTANT TO THE WHOLE MUSH person telling a newbie 'leave' after inviting them to a scene is 'oh well here's what a GROWNUP would do' .... I have been in enough clusterfucks to wish them well, and then RUN FOR IT. I really do feel bad as there did seem to be a lot of nice people but combine bitchy clueless central important player making the newbie gawk at them as their second scene on grid and staffer apathy to newbie having a rough time. Bail.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #535 on: September 05, 2017, 09:45:48 pm »

Update:
I am feeling much better, still in the hospital, but rehydrated, appetite back, and properly diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. They have run so many antibiotics, electrolytes and fluids through me, but I really needed it. I know I overheard the phrases 'septic' and 'septic stock's used in passing, so yikes close one!
Thanks for the well wishes!

This is good news.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #536 on: September 09, 2017, 06:35:33 am »

Nice looking phone, just a smidge bigger than mine!
Just looked at the box for mine - LG Optimus not Ultima (sorry for the mislead!) L3 (LG-E400f) Android 6, 8.1cm (3.2inch)QVGA, 3MP front camera, FM Radio, 1GHz CPU, 1540 mAh Battery, 32 GB Micro SD card slot, etc.,

Yeah. It's good. Flawless so far. Now I have to build a case for it  Wink My only problem is getting some of the data of my iPod. They sure made it difficult to migrate. I need to recover some Notes (Notes app) I made, but while I can dive into the iPod's directories with Linux and even locate all the music and picture files (with "show hidden files" feature), I can't seem to find those text files. How in the name of God did these people encode the notes?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #537 on: September 14, 2017, 11:55:55 am »

Just got my phone bill for this month.

Thanks to my car being written off a couple of weeks ago and having to spend hours on the phone with my insurance company dealing with all the fallout of keeping them informed and transferring my cover to my new car I've been stung for about £50 worth of phonecalls  Angry

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #538 on: September 14, 2017, 05:25:39 pm »

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/644412/government-response-to-exempting-vehicles-of-historical-interest-from-roadworthiness.pdf

This has BAD NEWS written all over it.  You might think I'd be jumping for joy at the prospect of no more MOT (road worthiness testing for you non-UK types) tests, in fact I think it is at best a bloody stupid idea and at worst going to lead to carnage (with the inevitable knee jerk reaction of banning all classic cars off the road the moment the first kiddiewink gets mown down by a 1970-some-odd thing with no working brakes and no working lights).
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #539 on: September 14, 2017, 06:26:25 pm »

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/644412/government-response-to-exempting-vehicles-of-historical-interest-from-roadworthiness.pdf

This has BAD NEWS written all over it.  You might think I'd be jumping for joy at the prospect of no more MOT (road worthiness testing for you non-UK types) tests, in fact I think it is at best a bloody stupid idea and at worst going to lead to carnage (with the inevitable knee jerk reaction of banning all classic cars off the road the moment the first kiddiewink gets mown down by a 1970-some-odd thing with no working brakes and no working lights).

Well yeah, there's a great difference between a museum piece and a roadworthy vehicle. You have to assume that this is in fact a preamble to banning old cars from the road. Someone is already envisioning classic cars as museum pieces.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #540 on: September 17, 2017, 04:05:03 pm »

As long as this isn't made obligatory (spotted on the A1 on Friday)

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #541 on: September 20, 2017, 06:43:22 pm »

Apparently only the news media care about what happened in Mexico. I'm hoping it's just a case of "emergency fatigue" after the global  terrorist attacks, bombings, a crazy fat Korean guy and a pompous American one, plus the hurricanes of summer, and not a case of "oh, this is just another one of those things that happen to poor devils in developing countries." But I'm not holding my breath.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #542 on: September 21, 2017, 12:37:56 am »

Apparently only the news media care about what happened in Mexico. I'm hoping it's just a case of "emergency fatigue" after the global  terrorist attacks, bombings, a crazy fat Korean guy and a pompous American one, plus the hurricanes of summer, and not a case of "oh, this is just another one of those things that happen to poor devils in developing countries." But I'm not holding my breath.

Just heard about this this afternoon.  On the anniversary of another bad quake, I hear.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #543 on: September 21, 2017, 03:12:47 am »

Just heard about this this afternoon.  On the anniversary of another bad quake, I hear.
The magnitude in energy is one tenth that of 1985, and so far looks like it will scale accordingly in the casualties. So it's not so bad. But I do have family members on the French side of the family who work downtown, that worries me a bit. The fanciest building to be damaged was an apartment tower in the far southwest posh part of town. That was surprising, because usually it's government buildings the ones affected, since closer to downtown where ground liquefaction happens on the dry Texcoco lake. The outskirts tend to be built on solid volcanic rock, so earthquakes rarely damage buildings in the outer parts of town.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #544 on: September 22, 2017, 09:08:52 pm »

my flipping event tickets won't print!

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #545 on: September 24, 2017, 09:17:32 am »

Made mashed potatoes yesterday, the way I usually do: Peel the potatoes, cut them in smaller pieces, boil them until done, mash 'em. Apparently some of the pieces were still partially raw because by the evening I got a massive fever fit. I'm talking shaking-and-unable-to-stop kind of fever fit. I know it had to be that, because today I'm all fine. F***ing alkaloids.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #546 on: September 25, 2017, 02:17:42 am »

Nothing like starting to cook for the week and finding you forgot to buy a main ingredient and now you have to leave food on the stove and go to the super to get it.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #547 on: September 25, 2017, 07:22:14 am »

Nothing like starting to cook for the week and finding you forgot to buy a main ingredient and now you have to leave food on the stove and go to the super to get it.
How about starting to build a massive set of shelves only to discover you've left your jigsaw at the local Hackspace and can't get it for 48 hours? Our bedroom is currently a timber yard with about 80 ft. of shelving boards and 50 ft of supports.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #548 on: September 26, 2017, 05:00:36 am »

Gaaaaggghhh...
Out of the hospital, but dealing with daily outpatient antibody infusions through a "midline port" (a kind of "temporarily permanent" I.V. connection thing) for a blood infection, apparent allergic reaction to the midline's self-adhesive dressing (God bless benedryl!), followup appointments, treatment tests, absolutely convoluted insurance issues, yadda yadda.

AAnd I can't even help Mom & Dad with the heavy work around the house (at least not until i get through with the infusions and they take this bloody port out of my arm!).

I know, it all sounds pretty tame, but It's me going through it, and I feel bloody awful about the folks having to do the things I normally do for them. It's galling.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #549 on: September 26, 2017, 01:55:14 pm »

I know, it all sounds pretty tame, but It's me going through it, and I feel bloody awful about the folks having to do the things I normally do for them. It's galling.

It doesn't sound tame at all; it sounds horrible, so accept my thoughts and well-wishes and take care of yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: