The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 03:01:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 13634 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #500 on: August 19, 2017, 01:20:01 am »

But think of the pleasure of the BBQ!

I have to oil mine this spring. Once my workshop is cleaned out (starting today - yay!) the old office desk I will be using as a workbench can take it's appointed place in the workshop, then I can consider the oil!

Cleaning out the workshop is my GAH - fortunately my nephew is coming up, & I have the loan of a trailer sometime today, and the rubbish will be taken up to a friends farm tomorrow and burnt or skipped. But, my back is not going to love me, either!
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #501 on: August 19, 2017, 05:46:00 pm »

Mosquitoes. A fairly universal Gaaaaah! I'm sure, but I currently look like I've developed some terrible tropical skin disease and there's still several months of evil vector season left to go. Going outside when it's morning/evening or overcast is a recipe for horrible itchiness and fresh blotches. Despite the newly installed nets on the doors they still manage to sneak into the house.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #502 on: August 19, 2017, 06:08:38 pm »

it rained non-stop yesterday. Not usually something that bothers me. But when you get wet and sleep in a car, even if you change clothes under the covers of a blanket you have wet clothes in a small space that you can't air out or dry. By morning it was smelling a bit like a wet towel left bunched up on the floor for a day. And of course there is no way to really prevent the moisture in the air from getting into a car. Cars are not exactly air tight. It'd possible to get about 15% humidity difference but when it's 98% humity outside 83% still makes the air feel gross, and settles on your skin and everything else. It makes all my clothing and bedding feel damp. I'll have to strip it all down and wash it today. dry it extra well.

I have one of those damp rid containers, and know how to refill it cheap, since it's just calcium chloride, same as the icemelt that I saw somebody selling on preseason sale the other day. But I have the tub in the car going for the last two days and it's pulling next to nothing out of the air. the humidity in the car keeps jumping between 30 and 50 %. and damp things are partially drying in the hot sun baking the interior. but you have to kind of go back in every few hours to move things around and let the heat get to new spots and turn over things to expose any damp areas.

It's miserable. I'm hopeful that after the wash today it should resolve some of the smell. This whole seasons has been damper than any I can ever remember. it feels like florida in the fall.

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #503 on: August 19, 2017, 08:39:03 pm »

Mosquitoes. A fairly universal Gaaaaah! I'm sure, but I currently look like I've developed some terrible tropical skin disease and there's still several months of evil vector season left to go. Going outside when it's morning/evening or overcast is a recipe for horrible itchiness and fresh blotches. Despite the newly installed nets on the doors they still manage to sneak into the house.

Oh! As I understand You!

I am now in Paris. And I got bitten by mosquitoes. I was in Russia, so didn't bite. I am very surprised.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #504 on: August 21, 2017, 01:29:39 am »

Evidently for me, the joys of getting older include my digestive system going haywire.... I need to see a doctor for an official diagnosis, but all signs point to ibs.... bleh and gah... and just before Dragon Con too!

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #505 on: August 21, 2017, 09:42:46 pm »

Evidently for me, the joys of getting older include my digestive system going haywire.... I need to see a doctor for an official diagnosis, but all signs point to ibs.... bleh and gah... and just before Dragon Con too!

sorry to hear that, hope it's just a mild sensative system and nothing too problematic.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #506 on: August 22, 2017, 12:59:50 am »

sorry to hear that, hope it's just a mild sensative system and nothing too problematic.

Yeah, I'm figuring it out, dairy and spicy are right out, most leafy greens as well.... I've been researching what is safe to eat and drink, but what a hassle!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #507 on: August 24, 2017, 03:00:29 am »

it can be a real struggle and frustratingly not everybody responds to everything the same way.  It helps if you can just find 2 or three safe meals that you can rely on and they try new ones regularly to expand your option. Treat it like visiting an alien world and trying things to see if they are edible.

my own food woe for the day is having just purchased a can of chic peas, I ate half the can, and it tasted fine. tucked the can into the fridge at a place I have access to, drove to an appointment an hour away... the road work detours made it 2 hours... came back and about 5 hours later started eating the rest. they tasted fine. the 2/3 of the way through the last half can they stared tasting sour or fizzy. hard to say which as the first instinct is to spit them out and not try them again.

I hope I didn't just food poison myself. I have things I need to attend to and homelessess does not abide food poisoning well.
Matt98
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #508 on: August 24, 2017, 07:35:16 am »

My car is broken, and I don't know when it's fonna be ready. I have to use public transport. I hate subway and I hate buses as well.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #509 on: August 24, 2017, 08:58:06 am »

My car is broken, and I don't know when it's fonna be ready. I have to use public transport. I hate subway and I hate buses as well.

Be prepared to waste a great deal of your time just waiting for the public transport to arrive. Also remember. I you don't see a weirdo riding on the bus... then you are the weirdo! Great museums of human eccentricities, those vehicles are.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #510 on: August 24, 2017, 09:03:29 am »

My GAH is very severe, I'm afraid. After my boss decided to close the location where I work I was told I would transfer to another location.  Just three days after the final day at this location, he informs me that the position I was going to assume is no longer open, as the employye decided not to leave. Now he's trying to fit me in a very different position, as a driver, and very likely with fewer hours of work. I tried to convince him to transfer me to another location where they're asking for an employee with the same hours. YET TOMORROW I MAY BE UNEMPLOYED IF I CAN'T REACH AN AGREEMENT!

I CAN'T F*&^ING SLEEP NOW.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #511 on: August 24, 2017, 09:31:27 am »

Be the driver, I'd say. It's better than no job at all. Also, it might also help you make contacts elsewhere. Experienced will-call and "hotshot" drivers  tend to be in demand the closer one gets to the holidays...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #512 on: August 24, 2017, 10:02:39 am »

Be the driver, I'd say. It's better than no job at all. Also, it might also help you make contacts elsewhere. Experienced will-call and "hotshot" drivers  tend to be in demand the closer one gets to the holidays...

The problem is I won't be able to pay my rent and food that way. The drivers take a 3-4 hour unpaid break in the middle of the day  I need to have enough extra hours for a second job. How am I going to make the difference? I can't ask for unemployment benefits and work at the same time.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #513 on: August 24, 2017, 03:00:01 pm »

The problem is I won't be able to pay my rent and food that way. The drivers take a 3-4 hour unpaid break in the middle of the day  I need to have enough extra hours for a second job. How am I going to make the difference? I can't ask for unemployment benefits and work at the same time.

You might want to check that to make sure. I was surprised to find out many years ago that unemployment sometimes covers 'underemployment'.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #514 on: August 28, 2017, 09:17:26 pm »

Mother-in-law.
I have nothing further to add until I have calmed down a bit!!!!!!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #515 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:11 am »

You might want to check that to make sure. I was surprised to find out many years ago that unemployment sometimes covers 'underemployment'.

I was recently contacted by a company in a town a few towns over, who were offering a factory floor job with a paycheck of 700 eur net. I very kindly explained to them that it would leave me with no money to live on, especially since the monthly bus card to said town is close to 60 eur. As it stands, it's literally more affordable for me to be unemployed at the moment. Which sucks because I enjoy working.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #516 on: August 29, 2017, 03:43:47 pm »

Stupid people.

Ordered a spare part in the UK, gave the exact dimensions of the part. (supplied by them some years ago)
Delivered today. wrong part.
Phoned them:
yeeees this is the part we normally supply.
I asked them about the order stating the exact dimensions and....
yeeees this is the part we normally supply.

Morons.

We are having your garden fence replaced. The workers have left and....
I see a lady letting her child walk on the freshly plastered foundation.
I asked her what she was doing.
She did not udnerstand
This is MY fence in MY garden and the plaster is not dried.
Looked at me and went.

Moron

Should have received a parcel last week.
On thursday the tracker said it would be in the depot near here.
Nothing happened.
Today the tracker said it had just arrived at that depot.
(strange)
I phoned the hotline only to be informed that
a) the parcel in on the way back to the sender
b) no other information would be given to me as this was not my business
c) thex cannot phone their own depot because they do not have any contact details

Politeness seems to have had a day off it seemed. The woman was quite rude and refused to tell me if the parcel had even left the depot or any try was made to deliver it or why it would be returned. She also would not put me through to someone who could do something as this is not my business. Letter of complaint underway to the German company headquarters.
Important spare parts. Still waiting.

Morons. Is it a full moon again?

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #517 on: August 30, 2017, 04:43:25 am »

Well it's official, in my twenty seven years of never missing Dragon Con, I am missing Dragon Con. I am currently in the hospital due to severe dehydration, malnourishment, and just stupid stubbornness on my part. It turns out that it is good to see the doctor sooner than later with these things. Chronic diarrhea needs to be health with sooner than later...    So for anyone going, have fun on my behalf.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #518 on: August 30, 2017, 10:17:58 am »

Well it's official, in my twenty seven years of never missing Dragon Con, I am missing Dragon Con. I am currently in the hospital due to severe dehydration, malnourishment, and just stupid stubbornness on my part. It turns out that it is good to see the doctor sooner than later with these things. Chronic diarrhea needs to be health with sooner than later...    So for anyone going, have fun on my behalf.

Thinking of you.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #519 on: August 30, 2017, 06:29:13 pm »

Been there (dehydration) for exactly the same reason*, so I know how embarrassing it is to have to admit to it. Chin up, this too shall pass.

Ew. Sorry about the pun...

-----------------------
*Except mine was greatly exacerbated by a certain medication that I take, which causes frequent urination. Doc told me when he came to see me in the hospital to get into the habit of daily eating at least two of the popsicles that the food service people persisted in putting on my supper plate. I know it seems ridiculous, but it actually works...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #520 on: August 31, 2017, 01:46:31 pm »

Um, no you aren't, MW! Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #521 on: August 31, 2017, 02:19:18 pm »

Just go with the flow...

*runs and hides*
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #522 on: August 31, 2017, 08:45:01 pm »

Was driving home from work and turning right on a mini roundabout and had someone drive into the side of my car.

Completely blew out the rear passenger side tyre, dented the rear wheel and both doors, the front wing, smashed the headlight and broke the tracking arm, leaving the front wheel jammed into the wheel arch, and sticking out at around a 20o angle and set the side airbags off Angry

Had to call the insurance company and arrange for recovery since I obviously couldn't drive it anymore, and it may well be a write off.  Angry And the cherry on the cake is the fact I had to call my insurance company the other day after I pranged someone in a car park.

At least this time it isn't my fault.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #523 on: September 02, 2017, 01:04:54 am »

Thinking of you.

Update:
I am feeling much better, still in the hospital, but rehydrated, appetite back, and properly diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. They have run so many antibiotics, electrolytes and fluids through me, but I really needed it. I know I overheard the phrases 'septic' and 'septic stock's used in passing, so yikes close one!
Thanks for the well wishes!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #524 on: September 03, 2017, 06:38:50 pm »

Thinking of you.

Update:
I am feeling much better, still in the hospital, but rehydrated, appetite back, and properly diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. They have run so many antibiotics, electrolytes and fluids through me, but I really needed it. I know I overheard the phrases 'septic' and 'septic stock's used in passing, so yikes close one!
Thanks for the well wishes!
I'm glad to hear you're doing better,  Ms. Forest. I hope that you make a prompt recovery!

~ ~ ~

My GAH! for today. After years and years of loyal service, my 2nd generation iPod Touch has finally succumbed to a drop on concrete. I had dropped it countless times and it never broke (its the half-metal-half glass clamshell type body - by far the most compact and most durable of all "iProducts").

It still works but I also got a message that in 20 days Yahoo mail servers will no longer be able to connect to my device, because it can't login to a secure shell URL. It's a limitation on the software available to my version of iOS which can't be upgraded for a device this small. The same thing happened 3 years ago with the Skype app.

So with no Skype and no Email, this device is only good enough to browse through brassgoggles and not much else.

Does anyone have an under $100 recommendation for a no contract android smartphone? I already have an Android tablet and I've heard good things about Virgin's LG phone line. I see a Virgin's "LG TRibute" as good candidate with Quad Core and 1.5 GB of RAM (a tad less than I want, but then they shoot over $100 beyond that). Usually the big shortcoming on Android devices is they give you too little storage an 8GB phone, which uses over half of that just for the operating system, so the LG Tribute with 16GB will yield about 10GB of free space...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: