The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 05:58:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 13742 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #475 on: July 12, 2017, 07:01:24 pm »

This is your opportunity to get a new identity altogether! Grin

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #476 on: July 12, 2017, 08:24:11 pm »

It's either me, or everybody else is fucking insane - at this point I can no longer tell. Huh

It's pretty much all of us, I think, insane and  dealing with our various insane beaureaucracracies burrocassys Bureaucracies them things what th' government runs on. If we ever get it all sorted out, it'll probably all fall apart under its own weight, 'cause the red tape is probably the only thing that holds it all upright. Cheesy

An international confederation of lunatics, we are.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #477 on: July 12, 2017, 10:05:57 pm »

Last time I had to get my drivers photo taken I asked if I should smile, they responded "You can look however you want."

Grin

I made this pose and expression

they got the giggle fits... and made me retake it.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #478 on: July 22, 2017, 04:46:06 am »

91F / 33C at 10:00 pm. The Internet modem is blocking me because it keeps rebooting every time the air conditioning compressor kicks in.  GAH!

Luckily I have beer and food. I will go eat and drink the anger out of myself right now.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #479 on: July 22, 2017, 11:20:34 pm »

It is done. the fight is over. but the homelessness has just begun. things I struggle with thus far, Eating, and sweating.

Its hot here for the last week so not only do i sweat like a marathon runner, but I've already had to toss an older pair of shoes because I overheated in them and so soaked them that I couldn't keep them in the car without fuming myself out and risking everything stinking. I ran to a late night laundry and did a load of wash last night to prevent sweat soaked clothes developing a funk that would linger.

But the harder thing is food. I had frozen ground beef in crumb form, frozen cooked lentils and a gallon of water frozen solid to act as both ice and drink later, I had another partially frozen water. All in an igloo cooler. Twelve hours the frozen gallon is still a block of ice with a thin margin of water in the jug the other water is slightly cool, as are the beef and lentils. I ate some anyway, but threw the beef away afterward because there is no way that it's cold enough to be safe after thawing and reaching a temperature that has to be over 40 degrees f.

I'm having to reevaluate my strategy for this. I'm thinking I should be able to get canned beans that are safe to eat out of the can, fresh veggiese very other day or so, some frozen veggies and occasionally get some cold cut roast beef or a canned roast beef, that I can open and eat half of and store the rest with the frozen veg until 5 hours later for next meal.

for the shoe situation, I've a set of cheap sandals I can wipe down with chlorox wipes if they get to nasty, but spend most of my time barefoot so my feet are dry.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #480 on: July 24, 2017, 11:32:12 pm »

it looks like my car is among the models in this giant airbag recall, I'll have to check my Vin number to see for sure, but gaaah!

also my food for today spoiled super quickly and I only caught a taste of it in mid bite. I tried to spit it all out and rinse my mouth, took my teeth out and then went to a bathroom to wash both mouth and dentures. hope I got it all I don't need spoiled food making me sick on top of the rest of things.

meanwhile the cold rain has made everything in the car slightly moist to the touch, and I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

I went to check out a room for rent and it's clearly a woman on some kind of drugs and her boyfriend illegally subletting the bedroom in their apartment while they live out of the living room. The lease ends in two months also.

also my feet are still slightly swollen from any number of things and I'm hoping it's not a clot.

I'd be done with today, but my only option for that is to get back in my cold damp car and drive out to nowhere and curl up and hope I don't die from some of these things before things have a chance to improve.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #481 on: July 25, 2017, 12:46:30 am »

Have ordered a "pop up" Gazebo for an upcoming event.

......Or so I thought anywayRoll Eyes

Nope! - After reading the delivery confirmation email, it seems I have only ordered the SIDE PANELS and NOT a gazebo frame and roof cover, and it wasn't cheap eitherAngry  Turns out the Amazon listing was not too clear in it's wording (many other listings used similar wording to indicate it was a complete gazebo with side panels).

Part of the reason for the mistake is that the company lists gazebos which are out of stock, and the separately sold side panels are the *only* items IN stock, add to the fact they cost around the same price as a number of similar size complete gazebos listed by other sellers, and you can see why I didn't spot the single mention in the description that it was ONLY the side panels I was buying.  Angry

So now I either have to send them back once they arrive tomorrow (and I assume I'll take a hit on the delivery charges), or I keep them and wait a couple of months to buy the compatible gazebo when it is due back in stock - which is unfortunately the same date as the event I originally purchased the gazebo FOR.  OR I could try to find an exact copy being sold elsewhere under a different name / seller and hope they all match up.  Undecided

I have actually found what seems to be the exact same gazebo being sold without sides, It is however another £200 on top of the cost I just droped on the currently useless side panels - but I have no guarantee that these two items will match up in size / fitting.  I would however at least have a *hope* of getting the gazebo BEFORE the event is due to take place. Undecided Huh

This just got expensive... Bollocks!  Sad

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #482 on: July 26, 2017, 09:49:32 pm »

As a follow up to my issues with my bank and trying to prove my identity, I think I may now have it sorted. Maybe.

Today my new photo ID driver's licence arrived, complete with a new address for me, and it has cost me about £60 to get that sorted as I had to pay for a set of passport photos, the cost of replacing my old paper licence with a new ID card, and a number of documents to support my identity check, and finally the cost of "special delivery" (signed and tracked) both to the DVLA and for the return of my original documents.

All that just to get a plastic card with an image of my face on it!  And that horrible mugshot style image has now been transformed to make me look like I'm possibly mixed race, as I now look somewhat more swarthy than I do in real life.  Huh  Still looks like a criminal with a name like "Gripper", "Psycho" or "Bastard" - or something to that effect.  Roll Eyes

Anyhow the bank has accepted my new ID, and the utility bills from the new address (A property that I actually own and DO plan to move into, but in reality not yet as there is much work to be done first). I now have to wait to hear from the head office if my ID has been fully accepted or not.  **Fingers crossed**

And now I also have to change the "log books" / V5 registered owner document details for my cars now. *Sigh*

What a colossal waste of time and money, just to prove who I am and where I live, to a bank that I have been a customer with for the last 30 years!  Roll Eyes
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #483 on: July 27, 2017, 08:18:08 am »

All that just to get a plastic card with an image of my face on it!  And that horrible mugshot style image has now been transformed to make me look like I'm possibly mixed race, as I now look somewhat more swarthy than I do in real life.  Huh  Still looks like a criminal with a name like "Gripper", "Psycho" or "Bastard" - or something to that effect.  Roll Eyes

I think you'll survive.  Roll Eyes Besides, H.P. Lovecraft is no longer alive to rant about the "Mongrel flesh without intellect, repellent to the eye, nose and imagination." No one will presume your criminality.

Take it from a Mongrel... it's not so bad  Roll Eyes
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #484 on: July 27, 2017, 05:50:18 pm »

Oh joy, the fun continues...

My old Mini Cooper had to go in for it's annual M.O.T test (aka safety inspection) so I got it out of hibernation and took it in to get it done. The car has not been anywhere since I put it in the garage last year when I got home from the LAST  M.O.T test, however it passed without any issues. That bit I'm happy with!

However on the way home I noticed the engine temperature was getting higher and higher, and once I got the car back and stopped to open the garage door, I then pulled it inside - at which point the radiator puked...  Angry
Looks like the radiator must be blocked - probably as it has "leak stop" in it and it has sat still for an entire year. It must have all settled out and blocked most of the radiator (I know it has already blocked my heater core matrix).

Replacing the radiator is not an easy (or fun) job to do. At least a new rad is only £50, and the new heater core is around the same price, so at least it's a cheap fix parts wise. It's just a huge pain in the arse to do.  Roll Eyes

Unfortunately I will also have to replace the water pump, as this is the reason I had leak stop in the cooling system in the first place...

And the rad fan is missing a blade, so that needs replaced...

Ah bugger it! I'm booking it in for the work and let the local mechanic sort it out!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #485 on: July 28, 2017, 07:44:47 pm »

Thieving pikey bastards!   Angry Angry

SCRAP THIEVES HAVE BEEN IN MY YARD THIS MORNING AND STOLEN A PILE OF SCRAP I'VE BEEN SAVING UP TO WEIGH IN.

That was MY fucking money!  Angry

Warning foul language RANT!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #486 on: July 28, 2017, 08:59:59 pm »

In future you could keep a live battery in with collected scrap, connected to a load of copper cable/pipes. The scream should alert you to any visitors.  Wink
Thieving pikey bastards!   Angry Angry

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #487 on: July 28, 2017, 09:45:49 pm »

How about a cowfence generator with a "faulty" overload protection?

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #488 on: July 29, 2017, 06:04:32 am »

Funny you should both mention electrical deterrents - Just been reading up on the laws regarding electric fences on residential property... as long as I don't use electrified razor wire, it's all good!

There is the slight risk of Mr crispy critter scrap thief trying to sue me for any injuries he may get, but that can be somewhat mitigated by the use of warning signs on either end of the electric fence (and every 10m spacing - but my wall is only 5M), and I think a large "DANGER OF DEATH" sign "acquired" from a nearby electrical substation should be enough to make them think twice!  Wink  Might even hook up an obvious wire going to a three pin mains plug connected to a fake mains socket on the wall - should be enough to make anybody decide not to test if it's real or not.  Grin

I'll use a safe low current 1 second pulse energiser used for farm livestock, but I think a spark ignition coil of the type more commonly found on a Spitfire Merlin engine might accidentally find it's way onto th circuit...  just for when I see them attempting to get over the wall. Grin

I'v just ordered a couple of cheap fake CCTV cameras to gut out and convert into Raspberry Pi powered real CCTV cameras with IR illuminators, so at least I will get to catch the buggers on 1080p video! At least I can get them up and running within a day of them arriving, so that should help deter the thieving gits from coming back.

Still really pissed off about this, but at least I'm calming down - I'm no longer looking to source a plain white Transit van, a shovel, an old carpet and a bag of quick-lime for the next encounter.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #489 on: July 29, 2017, 09:01:00 am »

Non-harmful (at first sight) idea:

Rig up one battery with a GPS tracker.
Put a NC Switch into the bottom, so if the battery is lifted, the contact wil close, triggering the main circuit to come alive.
Then the path of the batteries can be followed and a suitable amount of battery can be given to the right persons.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #490 on: July 30, 2017, 06:22:18 am »

I narrowly escaped being laid off my job. I've been keeping mum about it here at Brassgoggles, but behind my smiley veneer in the posts I make in Anatomical, in the last two weeks I've been worried sick to the point of not sleeping, because a rumour which started two years ago turned out to be true a couple of weeks ago:

Two years ago, at the place where I work, a given customer came in asking us when the lease of the office was up. The business where I work rents a suite at a small strip mall where we have various other businesses, such as food and fitness establishments. I did not know what to answer, but when I asked  the customer, but when I asked the employees and owners at the other various establishments, I go a consensus that the whole strip mall was being vacated for renovations and that only the largest establishment there would get to stay in the mall. Later the owners of variosu businesses dispelled the rumour and I didn't hear anything else about it until about 2 weeks ago.

In comes in a person into our business a few days after the Independence day 4th of July, and asks to see the owner. When I ask his business, he replies that he is a building contractor and he's there to give an estimate for clearing all the machinery and office equipment out of the shop.  At this point, my heart sinks, I know what this is all about, even if my boss has kept mum about it. The next day, I overhear a conversation between my boss and one of his customers *right in front of me*, basically confirming the suspicions I had heard two years ago. The whole strip mall is being renovated.

Upon further inquiry from the employees next door, I hear that the whole building must be vacated by SEPTEMBER 1 or September 30 - the employee is not sure. At this point I'm furious. No notice was ever given to me. I work just across the wall from my boss, the owner of the business. At the time I think, I have less than 2 months in the best scenario and about 4 weeks in the worst scenario.

At that point I confront my boss and ask him when we are going to leave. He replies "I'm negotiating it." In two separate occasions the next week I ask the same and get the same response. I start hearing that some of the drivers for the bsuiness have now been told to work at the other business locations around town. The staff in the back has all been evacuated a month before, on the pretext that one of the machines had broken down, and without that machine we have to outsource our work to the other shops in the franchise. That much is true, I can attest the machine did break down. But no attempt was ever made to repair it, and I know why.

That was one and a half weeks ago. In the meantime no one tells me anything, and I'm scrambling to find another job, *any job* including dish washer or anything within a 3 mile radius where I could walk to. Very difficult because I don't own a car and transiting through bus takes forever in this city, on account I live in a part of the city where the powers that be have decided "people don't need to ride a bus." You've read my complaints about this before.

So finally today I confront him again, and he spills the beans; Our last day will come in the last week of August. 4 weeks exactly. Jeesus!

The good news: I'm not laid off. I will go work at another one of the shops in town because I've been with the company a long time and I have a perfect attendance record - as he put it. He's got unreliable employees in the other whop where he wants me. So I guess I'm taking someone else’s job.

The bad news: The new shop is so far away that it's physically impossible to walk there. From now on I must exclusively rely on public transportation: BUS *GAAAAH*

More good news: The route that goes to that area of town - a really rough part of town, by the way-  is not in danger of being eliminated.

The bad news (again): I will now have to walk HALF AN HOUR just to get to the bus stop. Not terrible news, but temperature today in July was 40 Celsius (104 F). Try wearing a suit and a tie after walking 2 miles in 40 C weather. Unless that is a "bathing suit" I don't see how.

Now Winters in Texas are relatively mild compared to the rest of the US and most parts of Europe. But a typical Winter peak at -5 C / 22 F with ice storms and large ice sheets on the road is not a walk in the park either. And when it rains, trust me, rain is big here in Texas. Hail the size of baseballs is not unheard of outside of the city limits, and more typically hail will range between an inch in diameter and the size of a ping pong ball. An umbrella is not enough. You need rain boots, a poncho and umbrella, and your pant legs will still get completely soaked as many of the streets don't have sidewalks (pavement for UK speakers).

I need a freaking Astronaut suit.

So I can count my lucky stars that I'm not unemployed tonight. But my plans to start paying my school loans this fall have gone down the toilet, because I was planning to get a SECOND JOB to start paying my loans. With this increase in commute I'm certain not to be able to get a second job. I'll call the loan processors and apply for another 6 month extension. And if I don't get it I will be in serious trouble. The loan repayment starts in September 1  Shocked

So while I'm not fired, it looks like I'll still have to quit sooner rather than later to find a full replacement job, hopefully a full-time job this time. I want to quit before the end of the month if possible, but getting a good job in 3 weeks will be very difficult if not impossible in the area.

I AM SO ANGRY. It seems that I can't ever get ahead in life. I so want to just pack up everything and go hide in a forest somewhere in the West, and just become a hermit. Or at least go to a small town in the middle of nowhere and change my identity and live the rest of my life in the most hidden way possible. My life is obviously going nowhere, I don't see the point in trying  Angry

Tonight I can sleep knowing I'll be able to pay the rent, but my life is now more difficult and have gained nothing from it  Angry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More AAARGH!

It's 32 C / 89 F degrees her in Austin. It's 17 C / 63 F in Mexico City right now. AAARGH! What am I doing here?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:59:25 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
MichielH
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #491 on: July 30, 2017, 08:22:30 am »

Sorry i cant be of much help but would getting a bike help with the transportation?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #492 on: July 30, 2017, 09:29:39 am »

Sorry i cant be of much help but would getting a bike help with the transportation?

I'm afraid not that far as I have to go now. It'd be more of a hindrance unless I figure out a way to safely leave the bike near the bus stop before I go to work. The buses have racks to place bikes on, but then you have to bring the bike into work.... If the job remained within a few miles of where I live, and without crossing highway, then the bike would be of very good use.

Too early to tell. I have to push for a new job. I'll have to suffer a bit, but I'm adamant I don't wait until winter for another job. Preferably before summer ends. And I consider myself lucky to not have lost my income right away. It could have been much worse. It almost seemed an impossible task for a couple of days. Right now I just have to file for an extension on my loans and cross my fingers they'll accept it.

That second office is in a really rough part of town, and I'll be handling money and closing the shop, possibly alone. I need to review my self defence strategy. I'm always armed with a folding hunting knife. That area is known for gang activity. I have been to that office to cover for a missing employee twice before. I just have to cross a major avenue intersection to get to the bus stop, which is why the bicycle doesn't help much there in that part of town. The bicycle is much more useful closer to where I live, for the 2 miles *before* I climb into the bus. It may be possible to leave the bike at a local supermarket near the bus stop... I'll see. At the moment I don't have a bike, but I can get one.

In Winter it will be a lot worse, because after 6 pm it will be dark, and so I'd be walking the streets in the dark, so that's another reason not to stay there for long.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #493 on: July 31, 2017, 06:42:22 am »

Funny you should both mention electrical deterrents - Just been reading up on the laws regarding electric fences on residential property... as long as I don't use electrified razor wire, it's all good!

*snip*

That whole thing read like a BOFH story.  Grin

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #494 on: August 03, 2017, 06:45:36 pm »

Spending three days on a design at work and then suddenly, miraculously, the loads I've got to design around double.  Three days' work down the drain.  I think the client is taking the p**s...

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #495 on: August 04, 2017, 06:08:38 pm »

You know you're in the middle of a heatwave when the sea temperature is 30C and the fish are migrating south.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #496 on: August 07, 2017, 09:41:44 am »

Shnier's "Strawberry Blonde" Lager beer (brewed with strawberries).  BLEGH! Tastes exactly like cough medicine.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #497 on: August 10, 2017, 01:19:53 am »

Shnier's "Strawberry Blonde" Lager beer (brewed with strawberries).  BLEGH! Tastes exactly like cough medicine.

Almost as bad as a German Weiss that left a bubblegum aftertaste?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #498 on: August 10, 2017, 02:14:56 am »

Shnier's "Strawberry Blonde" Lager beer (brewed with strawberries).  BLEGH! Tastes exactly like cough medicine.

Almost as bad as a German Weiss that left a bubblegum aftertaste?

I know Weiss well. This is far worse. It seems like the medicine taste hits you very hard at first. It's the combination of sweetness and hops. Very similar to a saccharine artificial fruit flavoured syrup. Like Robutussin or Dimetapp. You don't taste the strawberries until the very end.

PS

I love that brewery, but I'm not sampling their seasonal "experiments" any more. No sir! Every time I try one, I hate it. They'd better stick to brown ales like Bock and other traditional lagers.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:23:58 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #499 on: August 18, 2017, 11:43:00 pm »

I needed to repair the raised timber decking / patio at the back of the house, thought it was just one or two planks that had rotted - no big deal...

As I am posting here, you know that was not the case.  Roll Eyes

Nope, half the deck was completely rotten (as in turned to water logged mush!), and to make things more fun, so was several of the wood joists holding everything up! And wouldn't you know it, I'm holding a BBQ at the weekend for a few friends. And cancelling it is NOT an option.

I have spent an entire day, from 9 am until 10 pm ripping out rotten slug infested wood and cutting and salvaging any of the decking boards that had any usable length remaining. Luckily the sides were also covered with the same decking boards, so I was able to salvage a number of good solid boards, however they were only half-length size. But it was enough replace all the rotten boards on the patio area, and I was able to use most of the rotted boards to temporarily cover the sides back up (not structural, so don't care).

I ran out of wood to replace the rotted joists, so I bridged the rotted section using decking boards on each side of the joist and bolted + screwed into good areas of the joists. Two decking boards are almost as thick as the actual joist, so it's safe enough for the weight expected, plus the joist was not completely rotten all the way through so that is still providing strength.

A coat of decking / fence wood stain will hide the patchwork and make everything one colour. At least it is done and is safe.

I ache all over!  My back!!!  Oh, I'm going to feel this in the morning!  Sad
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: