The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 06:16:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 13679 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #450 on: June 25, 2017, 04:39:54 am »

Two days ago I repainted the ground floor stone window sills on one of my properties, these windows face directly onto the street as it's an end of terrace property (the mid section of the terraced flats are recessed from the street with a small garden area, but are smaller internally). The paint was a slightly different shade to the original, and I only did the sills not the rest of the windows, but overall it looked OK and better than it did before.

Today I went to check everything was OK and to complete a couple of remaining tasks before the new tenant arrives, and the first thing I find is that some sodding little scroat has written on the new paint with a black indelible marker pen.  Angry

I suspect I know who did it, due to a number of reasons:

1) The ink was fresh, it still smelled of "marker pen" / solvent.

2) The text was "Dont Beleive In Others Opinions" [SIC] written in a somewhat Gothic style and forming a small paragraph rather than single line.

3) The small group of late teens congregated in the back lane just around the corner from the crime scene.

4 ) The group contained Three Females and one skanky looking Emo-wanabe male. All trying to look and sound "cool".

I spoke out loud just enough so they could hear me,  "I don't know what that is supposed to mean, but I do know what WRITE ON MY WINDOWS AGAIN AND I WILL SMASH THE TEETH OUT OF YOUR FACE, means...". Actually it was laced with a lot more profanity than that.

I heard a voice quietly mumble "Fu** off...", it was a male voice.

I also happen to know where the scruffy Emo lives. Seriously he really is scruffy, he looks like a badly diseased Chihuahua!

You eeeediot! That is an insult to Ren Höek!

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #451 on: June 25, 2017, 11:34:10 pm »

we had 4 air conditioners, one housemate moved into a place with central AC, one is homeless. so the ACs are here. We have had a heatwave for the last 3 weeks. I posted online that I was giving away air conditioners to anybody who needs one. I got 15 replies. I scheduled somebody for each of them. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM BACKED OUT LESS THAN HALF AN HOUR BEFORE OR AFTER THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO SHOW UP.

I contacted the waiting list and half are not replying, and half the rest changed their minds.

This is obnoxiously stupid. It's like the whole world is full of cable guys that have no respect for how inconvenient it is to set out 5 hours of your day for a scheduled thing only to have them blow it completely off.

everything else here is going to goodwill or into storage. nuts to this.

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #452 on: June 26, 2017, 07:18:56 am »

Contracrots....again.
Came to look on Thursday. Said, They will do the job on Monday.
Confirmed on Friday. So I took Monday off.
Phoned about some small detail on Saturday, said, they´ll come Monday 8 AM.
Phoned yesterday 9:15 PM. We will come on Tuesday.

GAH!

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #453 on: June 26, 2017, 02:10:48 pm »

Standing on footpath outside my house while waiting for a delivery, a rather rough looking pickup truck pulls over sharpish, and the shaven headed driver yells out my name.

Me >  ....?

Driver > I used to go to school with you!

Me > ...Uhhh....??  *thinks to self "Crap, this can't be good."*

Driver > Aye It's me *****, I was in your class.

Me > ...Oh....OH RIGHT!  *utter contempt for person*  Good to see you!

Driver > So do you live here now?

Me > *FUCK!*  Err, aye... *points vaguely in direction of a house down the street*

Driver > Aye, well, have to meet up some time.... *a large van is needing to pass and he is blocking road, so begins to move away*

Me > Aye, *like when Hell freezes over!* it was good to see you, See you around! *begin walking away up street*

Now first off,  that person can go and f**k themselves. And the others he hung around with in my class. F**k the lot of 'em. They made my life a living hell.
Mind you, most of those people are either dead, drug addicts or in jail (and any combo thereof).

Also I should mention that I recall that several years ago, a person with the same name and roughly the same age, as being jailed for a sex crime involving a child under 16 - and also is now on the sex offender register for life.  Can't be 100% sure it's the same guy, the name is somewhat common up in this area, but.....the details fit with what I know.  Undecided

Anyway, how the hell did he even recognise me? - since then I have put on a huge amount of weight, balding with closely clipped hair, and have a near full face beard.   Huh

Last thing I want / need is any of that lot back in my life - I would rather suck very heavily on the business end of a shotgun!

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #454 on: June 27, 2017, 07:59:19 am »

I took all the books, movies and games out of the shelves, to disassemble the shelves, to transport them to a storage space the size of a living room, where I will put everything back on them and stack boxes of everything else in with them, to sort through in my time of homelessness.

But right now it looks like a hoarde4s death trap. It makes it seem like weeks more work ahead. I just have to keep reminding myself that it took me about 2:30 to move everything around twice and disassemble all the shelves all alone. It's possible that this could really just be a single afternoons work if I put 8 hours in.

I just resent that somebody else has forced my life to come to this, through lies and manipulation, and will probably ruin years of my life in the process, just because he was greedy.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #455 on: June 27, 2017, 10:56:57 am »

F*CKITY F*CKING PIECE OF SH*T CARS AND F*CKING USLESS MECHANIC [expletive]s!

Had my car break down today on my way to work with clutch problems which meant I could get the car into 1st gear, but then nothing else. I thought it was just the return spring and would be a nice quick simple fix and so called out the breakdown service (which has proved useful before now). Turns out that modern cars have a hydraulic clutch, and one of the pistons is probably faulty so its' a garage job. Had them nurse the car to a local garage I've used before (through necessity and practicality rather than choice) where I was told it'll probably be MONDAY (as in 6 'ING DAYS FROM NOW) before they can even look at it! Add to that the mechanic thinks repairing the problem will necessitate removing the gearbox and I'll be without my car (which I need for work) for the better part of a F*CKING fortnight.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #456 on: June 27, 2017, 09:53:52 pm »

Had my car break down today on my way to work with clutch problems...

<snip>

...Add to that the mechanic thinks repairing the problem will necessitate removing the gearbox and I'll be without my car (which I need for work) for the better part of a F*CKING fortnight.

OOOhhhhh nasty.....  Sad

Your choices are:

1) Bus, Taxi etc.

2) Hire car. May be age issues if under 28.

3) Borrow a car, temporary car insurance = cheap and quick.

4) "rent-a-wreck" - by this I mean going to a scrap yard and purchasing a car that still runs & stops, is in good enough shape not get you noticed by the police (ie doesn't smoke badly) and still has at least three months MOT remaining. Should cost around scrap value, say £250 - £500.  Once you are finished with it, you can drive it straight back to the scrapper and get most of your money back.

Option No.4 is the cheapest option if you can't borrow a car, as your costs are mostly for the temporary insurance.  Best take someone who knows cars when you go to buy a scrap yard car, make sure it's safe to drive etc.  Technically it is not a scrap vehicle, as any car declared "scrap" cannot be sold or used on the roads, so technically it sold on as a "private" sale, or as a "salvage" vehicle.

I've know several people (slightly dodgey mechanics) who used option number four as a permanent means of transport, and if it wasn't worth fixing for the MOT, they would take it back and part-ex it for another and drive that one around until the MOT ran out, etc,etc,etc.   Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #457 on: June 28, 2017, 12:45:34 am »

Ah, gremlins are out in force.

Took my new-used car (bought it this past halloween) to the dealership, because they do free yearly inspections. They dropped me off at an appointment I had, and would call me in an hour for pick up. 15 minutes in I get a call. "Your head gasket is leaking onto the exhaust system, it won't pass inspection without replacing the gasket and we recommend the belts too since the engines out and they would need replacing in another 5 thousand miles anyway." The price for the free inspection would be $3000 and take a week.

I called up my old mechanic shop and asked them about a head gasket repair. He talked about testing the heads and a bunch of other things but quoted about the same price. But said he had too much work right now to be able to schedule it now. I told him that they said it was just a simple small head gasket and said nothing about loking at the rest of it ect.

It's starting to sound suspscious to me. Because the dealership is also the one that sold me a used car and when I took it in for trouble starting they 'checked everything' and it all 'seemed fine'. But when the battery flatlined three weeks later after the warrenty was over diagnosed it over the phone. I took it to the other guys and they were amazed that I was sold a used car with an 8 year old battery and they didn't find it when 'checking everything'.

So if there is a chance that it's a head gasket leak, I take it into a hack at jiffy lube or something similar. If they find it, it's a problem (one I'll have to go into debt to resolve, but not through the dealership). If they don't then I can get it through inspection. after that I can work on getting a line a credit and borrowing money to get it a real looking at after it's passed inspection.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #458 on: June 28, 2017, 01:13:19 am »

That's the bane of old cars. I recommend to not do anything unless it's obvious that it won't pass, or worse that it will lead to engine failure. You can tell by how much smoke you see coming from the tail pipe. Do you have blue or white smoke coming from the tail pipe?

Blue smoke means oil is leaking through the gasket into the cylinder cavities. White smoke means water is leaking into the cylinder cavities. The real danger is of the leak is significant and the cylinders flood with liquid (water or oil). Liquid is incompressible, that is it cannot be compressed. If the piston hits a cylinder of water or oil, it's just like it's hitting a concrete wall. The cylinder will crack, bend, break, etc. The engine block is rendered useless almost instantly. That's what happened to my car because when changing the timing belt, I would not spend the $1000 to change the water pump (the actual timing belt is worth $27), and the block overheated leading to a crack. My car died while driving through an overpass. I couldn't even slow down or stop as there was no space for me to pull over. I ended up coasting the dead car to a highway exit onto the parking lot of a hotel.

Otherwise it's normal for old cars to suffer from that at the end of life. It might be cheaper to drop a new refurbished engine in! At $3000 you might as well buy another used car.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:36:53 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #459 on: June 28, 2017, 04:19:41 am »

that's the thing. The head gasket would be one of the most expensive jobs to do and it's due to labor costs. The actual parts if you want to do it yourself would run about 300$ but take a weekend to do. The stealership says that it's an external oil leak onto the exhaust. But there is no smoke, no smell, no loss of oil in the tank, no pressure issues. No check engine lights. It literally is giving no signs.

The car has only 93000 miles on it, it's an 09.

Subaru has a rep for headgasket fails, but you should be able to run a couple of simple tests (one a fumes from the coolant and the other I think is an exhaust emissions) My state inspection exhaust emissions came back fine. and near as I can tell they didn't check the other test. But they say oil is dripping on the exhaust and suggest it is coming from the head gasket.

I'd wager that it's possible the head gaskets are weeping a little, and I can see maybe replacing them when I do the belts, in about 7000 miles. But almost all info I can find on it talks about internal leaks that mix coolant and oil and how your car over heats, the heater stops working. the coolant foams, the oil can form a thin emulsified layer on top.

So I'm going to take it to somebody else to get the inspection. If they pass it then it's like past instances with stealerships (when I first bought my last car within a year they told me I needed to have the engine pulled and something done or the engine would ultimately strain the transmission and or drop out onto the road, I didn't and it didn't it ran for 10 years and took almost another 100,000 miles and the reason I got rid of it was a wheel bareing and throttle issues.) they will tell you that something that might be an issue and could lead to a problem in 10,000 miles is something you need to fix right now, and they charge you twice what anybody else would.

When I called up the guys I usually go to, they were talking about checking for cracked heads and fitting pieces together after machining and resurfacing, as that's the best way to make sure everything is working right, because there is usually a cause for these failures and you need to find them. The stealership wasn't talking about doing any of that. They were simply talking about swapping a part from what I heard. which makes me think it might not even really be an issue, and more of a "have you tried turning it off and then back on?" only in this case the turning it off and back on is a job that earns 3000$ in mostly labor costs.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #460 on: June 28, 2017, 08:27:58 am »

Had my car break down today on my way to work with clutch problems...

<snip>

...Add to that the mechanic thinks repairing the problem will necessitate removing the gearbox and I'll be without my car (which I need for work) for the better part of a F*CKING fortnight.

OOOhhhhh nasty.....  Sad

Your choices are:

1) Bus, Taxi etc.

2) Hire car. May be age issues if under 28.

3) Borrow a car, temporary car insurance = cheap and quick.

4) "rent-a-wreck" - by this I mean going to a scrap yard and purchasing a car that still runs & stops, is in good enough shape not get you noticed by the police (ie doesn't smoke badly) and still has at least three months MOT remaining. Should cost around scrap value, say £250 - £500.  Once you are finished with it, you can drive it straight back to the scrapper and get most of your money back.

Cheers for the advice. Annoyingly most of them are useless to me.
1) I've used public transport to get to work before. And because of where I live in relation to my workplace it turns a half hour commute into a 2 and 1/2 hour journey (IF EVERYTHING goes right). I'm also far enough away from my work that taxis would be expensive (at least £40 a day, so £280 over the course of when I'm likely to be without my car) and could be problematic (I work sundays and start earlier than most people).
3) Was an option mooted at by my parents, but since I live a good 300 miles away that got nixed pretty quickly.
4) I live out in the sticks somewhat and it really is the sort of place you need your own transport to get anywhere (unless where you're heading happens to be somewhere along the Waterloo-Portsmouth rail line).

Well I ended up going for option 2 since I have plans to go camping this weekend as test run for a longer trip in a couple of weeks and it's not been too expensive so my plans aren't completely scuppered.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #461 on: June 28, 2017, 11:10:18 am »

Grin I love the way that we're all talking about car issues.  Roll Eyes However mates, as I no longer have a car, that is no longer a source of torment for me  Grin I may have to get myself on wheels pretty soon though. The rent-a-wreck idea sound good to me  Grin Big changes coming to the neighbourhood and loss of public transportation is issue no. 1 by the end of the year. I can't always walk 45 minutes to my job, because down here west of the Mississippi, it gets mighty hot in summer.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #462 on: June 28, 2017, 09:28:33 pm »

2) The text was "Dont Beleive In Others Opinions" [SIC] written in a somewhat Gothic style and forming a small paragraph rather than single line.

At least he does know what Gothic looks like, even it does look wrong.  Smiley

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #463 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:15 pm »

Built a cabinet for my ham radio stuff.
Took two days.
Finally came to pu the TRXes in and wire everything up.
Wohoooo!
LCD lighting on one TRX shows one of the light bulbs (yes, real blbs, soldered onto the pcb) is dead.
Took two hours to replace last time.
And, of course, one faulty antenna cable so the whole stuff has to come out again.
GAH!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #464 on: June 29, 2017, 09:31:04 am »

Grin I love the way that we're all talking about car issues.  Roll Eyes However mates, as I no longer have a car, that is no longer a source of torment for me  Grin I may have to get myself on wheels pretty soon though. The rent-a-wreck idea sound good to me  Grin Big changes coming to the neighbourhood and loss of public transportation is issue no. 1 by the end of the year. I can't always walk 45 minutes to my job, because down here west of the Mississippi, it gets mighty hot in summer.

Use the wheel without the internal combustion engine. Scooter, roller skates, a Bicycle.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #465 on: June 29, 2017, 10:31:18 am »

Use the wheel without the internal combustion engine.

How about an EXTERNAL combustion engine?

Steam car would count as one.

Maybe a Likamobile would do.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #466 on: June 29, 2017, 08:51:33 pm »

Not a car, but a riding lawnmower issue (got a ginormous backyard, so we need one)

(copied from my FB page and "recycled" here, because I'm in a hurry and don't want to re-type the whole story all over again)
Yesterday (Thursday 6-28-2017), the riding mower's drivetrain crapped out; The thing just quit moving. Engine ran fine, but couldn't get traction, and after a bit, the blades stopped spinning too.

Pushed it back into the garage (from all the way out in the middle of our ridiculously huge backyard), and me and Dad took a look at it. We noticed that the bolts holding the motor on the chassis had come loose and apparently fallen out (!?); obviously (we thought), the drivetrain wasn't working because the motor and thus the drive pulley was loose, so the belts couldn't get any traction to get enough energy to run the rest of the system. So, we took out the one remaining bolt, which was itself nearly worked free, and ran around NW Houston looking for a new set, with nuts and lockwashers to HOPEFULLY keep the same thing from happening again.

Found; 'em at a certain hardware store with a playing card name, got them put in after many hours of shoving the hundred-or-so-pound motor back and forth and struggling with the bolts, the threads in the motor mounts cast into the motor's block, and the fact that the bolts were not bevelled on the tips (we bevelled them ourselves on the bench grinder). Got everything put away, including both my tools and toolbox as well as Dad's, as well as the weirdly huge toolbox where I keep all of my weird wood and metal working hand tools. Started up the mower's motor... so far, so good.

Put it into gear - nothing.

Not even a pulley squeak. "Oh well, we just need to re-thread the drive pulley on the transmission," we thought.

We popped off the gearshift cover plate to do so - and found that not only the main drive belt (which supplies motive power for both the wheel transmission AND the mowing deck), but also the mowing deck belt (another separate set of pulleys and belt, so that the blades can be "turned off" when not needed) had not only come loose, but were also nearly completely shredded. Myself and Dad put everything away, and I finished up with the push mower - which proved to be one heck of a laborious process.

We originally entertained the idea of finding the belts and fixing the problem ourselves, but then found great difficulty in finding the belts; Dad opted to let the dealership do the repairs form that point this morning, as last night's pushmower session left me with massive leg cramps this morning, and him with his already painful knees practically screaming at him.

Turns out the dealership won't be able to start working on it until two weeks from now, at which point they will come to get the mower - and then it'll be another week or so before it's finished.

I'll be getting a great deal of exercise for a bit; hopefully, I can lose some weight in the process. A Facebook friend said he wished he lived closer, so that he could lend me a goat. I asked if he could airmail one, and he replied that no, they have to be carried by a Dodge Ram...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #467 on: June 29, 2017, 11:08:16 pm »

I had a long grass problem after the ride-on spat the dummy, and getting it the 43 km to the mechanic was a trial. It was a long time at the mechanic, getting it back was just as painfully slow as getting it down. You cannot have grass nearly a metre high in Oz in the summer time, because of the snakes, so I 'borrowed' the fella down the roads' goats. They did a cracking job, but I knew it was time for them to go when they started ringbarking the trees! The mower came back, the grass was cut, and all ended happily.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #468 on: July 03, 2017, 09:23:31 am »

Give our summer!!!!!

I have still not ripe strawberries. And had to go two weeks ago.

And now have charged rains. All flooded. In the potato beds worth of water.

We all will wash away.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #469 on: July 03, 2017, 10:58:59 pm »

Court case on Friday. I'm trying to get everything I can into storage. My phone ran out of minutes (I've used a years worth in the last month due to this evictions business) in the middle of a call from legal aide for the poor. The internet at the apartment has gone out, and comcast being comcast don't seem to care about or even understand the situation. oh and the battery on my laptop gave me a first degree burn as it's overheating, so I have had to use the power cord at the library and mall today.

Hot water in the house is gone. which one would thing days of moving everything I own in 95 degree F days with 74-87% humidity wouldn't be an issue but my last shower almost completely stopped my heart. I had to get out and sit down because I was beginning to pass out, no joke.

gas stove is out. Using an electric hob I had in the cupboards for now. Power gets shut off on the 11th.

the 11th is also the day I need to secure 3000 to repair the car, unless they find something more wrong and it costs more. I've had no debt in the last 10 years, accepting the last 8 months of the car loans for which I needed a cosigner. So I have not ability to get a loan or credit card to pay for the repairs. And no family member will cosign with me despite that it costs them nothing and never has anybody ever needed to or been asked to make a payment for me. My mother says she will not cosign, but she would lend me money.

I'm trying to decide if my sense of feeling insulted is pride. I don't ask for hand outs, I asked for somebody who would vouch for me so that I can secure a loan that would be easily paid off in the next 4 months. A laon nessecary not because I've mismanaged my accounts but because of a predatory realestate buyer buying our apartment and wrongfully evicting us in the middle of a month, against the protections in our agreements we rent under, while also having to register and inspect my new to me car which failed inspection due to a 3000 dollar repair.

all of this spread out over 5 months would have been possible, all happening around my birthday... no. And so no matter what happens from here on out I will be homeless, I was looking to get the loan to at least be able to live out of my car. But that isn't going to happen because the only people who can vouch for me, won't.

it's so infuriating.

my life is a smoking ruin. and the only thing I can think is that if I can just get my car/home ready, I can just drive off and escape for someplace else.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:03:11 pm by rovingjack » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #470 on: July 10, 2017, 03:16:42 am »

I went into the apartment I can't live in, quickly to grab things I had dropped off there a few weeks back. I popped them in the car and drove back to the apartment where I was distracted and then fell asleep. I woke the next day and ran several loads of things down to storage and my lungs were irritated. I assume from being in the apartment. I unloaded everything into storage and by the end of the night my lungs were really bothering me, and I started to wonder if the things I took out of the gas chamber of an apartment had soaked up the fumes. I pulled all those things out of my storage just to be safe and headed back.

Today was much hotter and my lungs seemed a bit raw this morning but settled out, but then I did some donation runs in the car and they began to feel raw again.

I ran an air PH tests and it's not showing up with anything obvious, and there is no real smell.

I can't tell if the interior of the car has soaked in some of the fumes, and is agassing me, or if my lungs are just raw from being exposed. I spent the day riding around with the windows open. I mean it shouldn't really be so bad that third hand exposure could be that terrible, right. I mean some paperback books that were in the apartment, and don't have a smell to them, sitting in the back of the car for 8 hours before being removed shouldn't turn the car into a gas chamber, especially if the car is allowed to air out for most of the next day? right?

I hope my lungs are just sore from the exposure and my anxiety is carrying it too far.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #471 on: July 12, 2017, 12:31:05 am »

So the issue of me not having any form of photographic ID (driver licence, passport etc) has again raised it's head, only this time the bugger has sunk it's teeth in deep to my flesh... Roll Eyes

So now my bank wants me to prove who I am and where I live using two simple forms of ID. Problem is while I have ALL of the required documents, they are NOT all for the same address where my bank account is registered at. I have TWO houses that I own and use, while my bank details are still listed as being at my parents house (never saw a need to change as the house I actually live in is NEXT DOOR). This has not been an issue for the past 25 years, but all of a sudden it IS.

So my driving licence is the old paper type, not a plastic card with photo type, and getting that changed was an issue as they required me to send in my passport as proof of ID - and I don't have a passport. To get a passport I need to send in my photo ID driving licence as proof of identity.....see where this is going yet?... Roll Eyes
Other forms of ID required for the passport pose a problem as I simply don't have them. I don't have credit cards, mortgages, loans, pay slips from my job (I run my own property lettings, and it's not a registered company - so I'm not even self employed!), or any of the other things listed as acceptable proof.

Even my original birth certificate was lost years ago when a previous employer required I send it in with other ID documents, and then promptly never returned it. So that has just cost me £20 to have a new copy issued and sent to my address.  Angry

So I have just sent off what documents I CAN provide that show me at my parents address, along with a letter explaining why I cannot provide the required documents (credit card / mortgage statement, utility bills, council tax  bill,  or proof of benefits payments / state pension payments ONLY - NOTHING ELSE ACCEPTED!). However I don't expect this to be accepted, and thus my bank accounts will be frozen until I can prove my details.

ANNNNND thus to get ALL the needed documents registered at the house I DO live in (and then be able to change my bank details to the new address), I have changed my drivers licence details online, however they require an ID check based on my National Insurance number (AKA "social security number" across the pond), and this will check my tax records. Aaannnnndd here is where the problem sits, my tax records are listed at my SECOND property (due to my accountants using this as my business address, which it IS, sort of...) and so that is going to throw a spanner in the works. So I will need to show additional proof of ID to the DVLA (AKA the 'DMV' in the US)........Now can you guess what they want as proof?

So do you see where this is going now?... Yep!  Roll Eyes

It's either me, or everybody else is fucking insane - at this point I can no longer tell. Huh

Also, as I trust the DVLA to get my new licence details correct, about as far as I could throw the whole building, I have stated that my paper licence is "lost", which requires me to fill in a form, submit a passport type photo and pay a £20 fee. But at least if my licence comes back as stating I can only drive a moped, "tracked vehicle", HGV, Lawn mower or some other stupid cock-up, then at least I have to ability to "miraculously find" my old licence and use it as proof they screwed up. Even If I have to take a trip down to the Welsh town of Swansea where the DVLA are based, to sort it out in person, it'll be worth it!

And yes, the DVLA have made some big blunders with licences, but they ALWAYS deny it and state "The DVLA does not make mistakes", even though they have been proven to do so... and it's a nightmare to get sorted.   Roll Eyes
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #472 on: July 12, 2017, 12:00:06 pm »

I  foresee a joyous time for you, Siliconous! Grin
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #473 on: July 12, 2017, 06:02:28 pm »

I  foresee a joyous time for you, Siliconous! Grin

At this point it is easier for me to get a shotgun / firearms licence than it is to sort my driving licence. Huh

Mind you if I did apply for the firearms licence, I would have to state why I require it - at this point I think I would say "Because I just can't take it anymore...!Cheesy

Oh, and to top things off, I just got my new passport style photos for the drivers licence - somehow they have little to no resemblance to the image that was displayed on the screen in the photo-booth...  "Police Suspect MUGSHOT" would be the fitting description of the image that was produced on the ejected paper. As a matter of fact, the image has more than a passing resemblance that of the image I use as my BG avatar! (which by the way, is Australopithecus afarensis, an early Hominid roughly  3 million years old)   Undecided
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #474 on: July 12, 2017, 06:20:36 pm »

Well, you know what they say ... if you look anything like your passport picture, it is a safe bet you are not well enough to travel.  Grin

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: