The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 19, 2017, 10:29:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Return of the Son of the 50ft GAAAH that struck back!  (Read 13651 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #425 on: May 30, 2017, 06:39:16 pm »

I'm suprised that someone of erudite disposition like yourself doesn't know what "Chasing the Dragon" means. It is the 19th. C. slang for getting high on opium, specifically, and derivatives thereof such as Laudanum. My roomates don't consume opiates, so I guess they are chaisng a mythical beast of another kind. A Wyvern perhaps?

Either way I prefer to chase no beasts nor monsters. Alcohol and caffeine is as bad as I get. And alcohol already counts a a strong beast as it is.

Oh, OK, now I get it. Sometimes I have to have my memory jogged to remember a piece of linguistic errata. Now IO remembe rthe term from an early (Jeremy Brett) episode of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. One of the ones where his hair is still whole and almost black...
My Gaaahhh for today: found and bought a VERY old  Hohner Chromonica, both aa a "rescue," and as a restoration/refurbishment/modernization project. I'm quickly finding out that I will be having to improvise materials for the windsavers (valves), as none appear to be available locally, and none may be available overseas either, for certain stupid reasons, *cough* which I shall not elaborate upon here. *cough cough*

I've made leather valves for concertinas, but never for something as comparatively small as a harmonica, so this should prove "interesting"...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #426 on: May 31, 2017, 12:52:13 pm »

I'm suprised that someone of erudite disposition like yourself doesn't know what "Chasing the Dragon" means. It is the 19th. C. slang for getting high on opium, specifically, and derivatives thereof such as Laudanum. My roomates don't consume opiates, so I guess they are chaisng a mythical beast of another kind. A Wyvern perhaps?

Either way I prefer to chase no beasts nor monsters. Alcohol and caffeine is as bad as I get. And alcohol already counts a a strong beast as it is.

Oh, OK, now I get it. Sometimes I have to have my memory jogged to remember a piece of linguistic errata. Now IO remembe rthe term from an early (Jeremy Brett) episode of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. One of the ones where his hair is still whole and almost black...
My Gaaahhh for today: found and bought a VERY old  Hohner Chromonica, both aa a "rescue," and as a restoration/refurbishment/modernization project. I'm quickly finding out that I will be having to improvise materials for the windsavers (valves), as none appear to be available locally, and none may be available overseas either, for certain stupid reasons, *cough* which I shall not elaborate upon here. *cough cough*

I've made leather valves for concertinas, but never for something as comparatively small as a harmonica, so this should prove "interesting"...

Its also mentioned  in the movie From Hell (2001), by Sir Ian Holm's character for Jack the Ripper a/k/a Medical Doctor Sir William Gull, with Johnny Depp playing a drug-addicted inspector on his trail, trying  to solve the murder cases. Every day, the detective, Frederick Abberline would put a couple of drops of Laudanum, an opium tincture into his glass of absinthe.

Absinthe Ritual
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:57:21 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #427 on: June 01, 2017, 03:56:52 am »

Well it seems that another world famous local landmark has been reduced to a pile of scrap, thanks to Scroaty McScroatface of Middlesbrough having a can of Petrol and some time to kill...

The famous party boat Tuxedo Royale once docked beneath the Tyne Bridge in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne has been hit by arson.

Unfortunately the company that owned her went into administration and thus left the boat without any legal owner. She was then left to rot in Middlesbrough where it slowly became derelict due to local scrappers and thieves breaking in to steal any valuable materials such as the copper wiring. After a number of break-ins and damage to the hull due to lack of maintenance, the ship began to list and sink.

The ship was entered on the National Historic ships register in 2016, and was awaiting restoration once funding could be found. However this loooks like the final nail in the coffin for her now.   Sad

A sad end for such a famous venue, once visited by top celebrities and even royalty - even I have been found on the rotating dance floor on occasion...

Farewell turbine steamship TSS Dover AKA Tuxedo Royale

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #428 on: June 03, 2017, 03:32:41 am »

Just got a new tenant for one of my properties, nice guy - bit younger than I normaly would let to, but is working full time and his job seems safe, so I'm not too worried (local council will not pay full rent for under 35 years of age when claiming unemployment benefits).

Anyhow, everything was perfect, the flat was all ready for him to move straight into......BUT I just had to go and service the burglar alarm.  Roll Eyes

I powered it down, removed the old battery and installed a new one as they only last four - five years. Reconnected the battery and *blip* - a quick flicker of light from the panel and nothing. A quick check showed the battery fuse had blown, OK no biggie I had a spare. Popped in the spare and *POP* fuse blows again. Huh

So I power up the system from the mains electricity, and all seems to be working OK. However after a few minutes I can smell the magic smoke escaping from the components on the circuit board. Several component around the power supply circuitry have turned crispy black. Angry

Alarm panel is now dead, I have to get it replaced ASAP as he is moving in next week! This is going to cost me...
Getting an alarm engineer out to fit the new panel - he can chase down whatever fault caused it die in the first place.

I am soooooo pissed off right now.  Angry  I will be collecting the dead panel and will do an autopsy to figure out what happened. The system was fully working before powering down. No idea what happened or why it should fail like that.

GAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGH!!!!   Angry Angry Angry
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #429 on: June 03, 2017, 06:43:14 am »

Power spike, most likely.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #430 on: June 06, 2017, 05:10:11 am »

I'm so happy this thread exists, because I am in essence a very salty person. It's good to have a place to rant.

So my gah moment today:

If you've seen me around on this forum, you can probably guess that I'm fairly young. I am. I'm young and inexperienced... and that inexperience came back to bite me today. I have a job up at school that I go back to come fall, but have had no luck lining anything up for summer. I'm almost a month into summer break and I still haven't found anything, mostly because all the open jobs want at least a year of experience. Really? A year of experience to work in an ice cream shop? Or as a waitress? My job up at school, which I've had for two years now, is my first, and I think that working as a combination cashier, barista, server, prep worker, and cleaning person would count as experience, don't you? Apparently not. How are people new to the job market supposed to get jobs that are only available if you've had a similar job for a year?

I know I sound like an annoying kid, and I know there must be a job somewhere. It's just frustrating.

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #431 on: June 06, 2017, 08:15:51 am »

How are people new to the job market supposed to get jobs that are only available if you've had a similar job for a year?

In a nutshell, you're not. You're supposed to come to them fully trained and capable of doing the job, by having done it before, usually unpaid.

The problem is a combination of long term recession (from the 2008 banking crisis), slow growth and (most importantly) the general 'greed is good' mentality of most businesses which means they see staff/employees as an asset rather than an investment (despite the fact that making your workforce think you actually give a damn about them actually makes them better and harder workers).

I was out of work for over two years after graduating from my Masters course largely because, like you, I had no experience, and the only way most companies were offering the chance to get experience were unpaid internships based in central London (as if anyone can afford to live in a city with astronomically high rents and property prices without earning anything). Fortunately for me I started volunteering in an industry I was interested in and was lucky enough to find an organisation with a forward thinking outlook r.e. it's workforce.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #432 on: June 10, 2017, 01:53:54 pm »

Never eat crumbly cheese and crackers while trying to use the keyboard.
(Yes, I know it's only a tiny gaaahhhh - much like the crumbs I've just had to remove from between the keys!)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #433 on: June 10, 2017, 10:42:26 pm »

So yesterday I had the guy round to my property to have the alarm replaced (got him to check over the wiring and sensors too), which resulted in a new alarm panel (plus remote keypad) and a replacement bell box outside (as neither of us was confident of it's state and likelihood of being the cause of the fault).

Total cost was reasonable enough, and it was a better quality alarm panel than the original...

The 'gah' you ask.....  Well, as it happens I kept all the removed parts with the mind to inspect each and perform an autopsy to find out what went wrong.  Last night I started on the Alarm panel and stripped it down to the bare circuit board, and then began to test each component and back-engineer the circuit layout (which on a multi-layer board is not an easy task).

After four hours, and several instances of releasing the magic smoke from the board during power tests, I was able to find the fault that had cost me so much money and time:

A single surface mount protection diode that straddled across the main power rails had failed and shorted.  Effectively both the battery and AC input power rails to the circuit were shorted positive to negative - hence the reason it was drawing such huge current load and burning out components!

The diode costs less than 10 pence each (yes £0.10), is a tiny part about 3mm by 5mm, and looks like this:

With the delay in getting the property occupied by another person, I also have to pay a month's payment of the Council Tax (something like 'property tax' to those across the pond).  Roll Eyes

So all in, I'm roughly out of pocket by the tune of £300 - all thanks to a part that costs less than 10p   Angry

(And yes, I have successfully fixed the alarm panel - not that I will reuse it due to insurance reasons)
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #434 on: June 10, 2017, 11:32:22 pm »

How are people new to the job market supposed to get jobs that are only available if you've had a similar job for a year?

In a nutshell, you're not. You're supposed to come to them fully trained and capable of doing the job, by having done it before, usually unpaid.

The problem is a combination of long term recession (from the 2008 banking crisis), slow growth and (most importantly) the general 'greed is good' mentality of most businesses which means they see staff/employees as an asset rather than an investment (despite the fact that making your workforce think you actually give a damn about them actually makes them better and harder workers).

I was out of work for over two years after graduating from my Masters course largely because, like you, I had no experience, and the only way most companies were offering the chance to get experience were unpaid internships based in central London (as if anyone can afford to live in a city with astronomically high rents and property prices without earning anything). Fortunately for me I started volunteering in an industry I was interested in and was lucky enough to find an organisation with a forward thinking outlook r.e. it's workforce.
That... really sucks. I know I'm going to have to do a lot of unpaid internship/research-type things for my career, but I didn't think that I'd need to do it to get a job at an ice cream place. The good news is that I have a job waiting for me up at school, so while I search for summer work, I might as well volunteer somewhere.

So all in, I'm roughly out of pocket by the tune of £300 - all thanks to a part that costs less than 10p   Angry

Ohhhh my goodness, that's the worst.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:34:15 pm by annevpreussen » Logged
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #435 on: June 11, 2017, 08:03:40 am »

That... really sucks. I know I'm going to have to do a lot of unpaid internship/research-type things for my career, but I didn't think that I'd need to do it to get a job at an ice cream place. The good news is that I have a job waiting for me up at school, so while I search for summer work, I might as well volunteer somewhere.

Well if you've put something in your CV (or resume I think is the term used across the pond) that you're only likely to be there over the summer (say, the name of where you're studying, or even the fact that you are studying) that's another nail in the coffin of your job chances. They'll be reluctant to hire you simply because they know if they do they'll have to advertise the job again 3 months down the line and (no matter how good an employee you might be) you're just not worth it to them.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #436 on: June 11, 2017, 09:20:50 am »

After four hours, and several instances of releasing the magic smoke from the board during power tests, I was able to find the fault that had cost me so much money and time:

For these tests I use a simple 230V Lamp (and socket) wired in series to the device under test. If the device works the voltage drop due to that lamp is normally without impact on the function. If the device has a short in the mains input circuitry, the lamp will light up and protect the external (fuse, Power supply,...) and internal (rectifier, voltage regulator,...) from overload and the magic smoke remains safely stored inside the other devices.

This is an easy ind convenient way to trace shorts and other faults in mains equipment.

Hope this helps.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #437 on: June 12, 2017, 04:10:48 am »

these slimy new owners apparently have done something that has at least one of the roomers in the house here popping up as evicted on rental and credit histories. they havn't even filed for the writ yet and and none of us have been before a judge. This has to be many shades of not quite legal.

I wouldn't even know where to look to find out if it's showing up on my rental and credit history, but I can probably go down and see if there has been some filing in the pubic record on these accounts.

These people are horrible approximations of human beings.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #438 on: June 18, 2017, 10:37:20 am »

Put my security deposit in on the new place after a couple of walk through. Took about an hour to unload the carload of things and by the end of it my nostrils were burning. Seems that one of the previous tenats had some problem cats. It was a humid day and so there was a sour mustardlike smell with onion like overtones. a few hours later the nostrils are better but now it feels like I have the tail end of a chest cold. I may have to invest in a black light and enzyme sprays.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #439 on: June 21, 2017, 12:30:11 am »

... Or find out that every time I spend more than ten minutes in the house on a hot day I get what amounts to an asthma attack from months of broken toilet fluids soaking into the floor and turning to ammonia which vaporises on hot humid days, or cat pee soaked into the hardwood floors turned to ammonia and vaporising on hot humid days (or maybe even the drunk beligerant owners brother dumping chemical cleaners on said toilet stains and fuming the house out.

So I don't have a place to sleep and nowhere I can store anything I ever want to use again. But I get a garage port, a shower and toilet that I can use in a rush a few times a week, and it only cost me about a grand.

I will give my one months notice on the first. In the mean time I will throw some money into a storage facility and jam everything I own into storage. Then I'm going to look into what I have to know in order to get access to a coin op laundry, and how to camp out for the next two months with my dietary needs and access to bathrooms.

oh and plan to make court appearances for the eviction process. so here's to homeless living in a new england summer.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #440 on: June 21, 2017, 06:20:00 am »

Is there no way you can make that place tolerable (ie ventilation?). In your situation it's dire straits for a little while, especially with the court dates and all. You need an address/base so you can start getting jobs - like now.

It's crucial that you have stability, if you were lucky to find a place... When I was on that situation I got the job just at the same time as I got an offer for a room. Thank God, because I was living with a Christian couple in their upstairs guest room, while they helped me put everything in storage.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #441 on: June 21, 2017, 07:13:30 am »

the ten minutes to asthma WAS with eight windows all open and air moving through and the vent fan in the bathroom running. I'd never trust sleeping in that gas chamber.

It's summer. I'll find a rural area to do some roadside picnics use rest stops and park and rides for areas with bathrooms. find a beach or two for 'swimming' to get clean. There are a couple of 24 hour coin op laundry places to clean clothes and sheets. and I have a cooler for a day or two food storage.

I can make a run into the apartment for ice blocks that I cycle in and out of the cooler as they thaw. I can emergency shower in there once or twice a week. and I should be able to charge my electronics in there for a few hours each day.

I can keep materials for projects and use it as an address for the month.

I have a big maybe place in the middle of august, just waiting to hear back about meeting and discussion. I've been to the place for parties before and know half the people there. We worked together for some social causes. But it's not a certainty.

I will have to keep looking for places to live, and I don't know which way the court case for the eviction will go. If it goes against me, it means that any rental history check, some credit checks and other basic checks will pull up an eviction record and I can pretty much count on that cutting rental options down to 1 7th of what they were before.

I can cook up weeks worth of food before I head out and then freeze it. Transport it to the freezer at the new place I can't sleep in and then grab a frozen pack for my cooler each day that I can heat in a solar cooker. I also can buy fresh produce and cook it for a meal, and I can make a small alcohol stove to cook things fondue style. frozen water bottles serve as ice for the cooler while also providing drinking water. my bed has been a roll up foam mattress for years, it will roll up in the back of my "outback" just fine and make a decent bed when the back seats are put down. Three sets of clothes: wear, spare and wash. one set of sheets, wash then once a week. get a solar shower. car charger for phone and laptop.

I've got food & water, clothes & bedding, shelter & transportation, and communication. I'd just need a more dependable bathroom and I could meet all of maslows bottom level needs. Maybe save up rent and get a tow bar and trailer that I could put a travel toilet in a tiny pop up bathroom with solar shower and sink
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:05:52 am by rovingjack » Logged
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #442 on: June 21, 2017, 02:54:58 pm »

I know that overhaul cleaning is usually a landlord responsibility (yes, I'm one of those exploitative capitalists who has to excavate the detritus after horrendous tenants depart), but rather than camping out while wasting funds still paying rent on a place you can't stay in, have you considered cleansing the place?

I don't know about your locale, but here in the Antipodes a large hardware chain store would sell an industrial gasmask and tyvek CSI suits, and also hire out vacuum-sized carpet cleaning machines that spray cleaning solution and suck up the resultant sludge on a daily rate.
If the weather is so warm as to cause offgassing, you might even try hosing/brooming the ammonia-water out of the carpets and letting them air dry. It may affect the carpets a bit, but it sounds like your slumlord might not even notice any additional waterdamage given their current condition.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #443 on: June 21, 2017, 06:11:07 pm »

there are no carpets, it 130year old hardwood flooring. and horse hair plaster walls. resolving that would require removing floors and putting in new subflooring and then replacing the hardwood.

The owners have been respectful but they simply are nose dead, and never are in the apartment for more than five minutes on cooler days. They cannot detect the problem at all. I can't very well make them stay in it over night to 'test it out'. and since it's something I can't document and prove is a problem without somebody else occupying the space and having that same issue... I can't really beat them over the head about it.

They had a previous tenant who just left she came in during autumn and left June 1st, she was an outside smoker and a bit of a liar about things on the property. So basically the evidence to the owners looks like it's perfectly habitable, the previous tenant overflowed the toilet, and there are no smells in the place they have ever detected. While all evidence suggests to me that the wax seal on the toilet is broken and leaking, and the floors and walls are ammonia bombing the whole apartment.

Besides all that the owner has been supportive of me in my case against the current eviction, and has been nothing but friendly. actually offering the place to me exclusively because he knew I needed a place to live.

I think I will just have to chalk it up to should have avoided commiting until I had a full history and a better awareness of the place. And I may go see if I can grab some farmers barn ammonia level detection stuff, and test the air in the apartment so they know the situation going forward. I'd wager it will be well above hazard levels, but it's also possible something else is going on. All I know is that I'm not asthmatic but when I spend any time in there it leaves my throat and lungs sore for days, with a feeling like I strapped on a gas mask and replaced the filter canister with ammonia based floor cleaner.

I've washed floors with ammonia, and cleaned countertops and such with it. it's never this bad unless you don't add water work in a closed room for an hour with it.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #444 on: June 23, 2017, 04:12:14 am »

My husband just had a long overdue physical- diagnosis high cholesterol and early diabetes. He's had to quit sugar, caffeine, alcohol, dairy, and bread immediately. I'm going to have a hungry, grumpy man around for a while until he adapts to the new reality...gah

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #445 on: June 23, 2017, 06:45:52 am »

there are no carpets, it 130year old hardwood flooring. and horse hair plaster walls. resolving that would require removing floors and putting in new subflooring and then replacing the hardwood.

The owners have been respectful but they simply are nose dead, and never are in the apartment for more than five minutes on cooler days. They cannot detect the problem at all. I can't very well make them stay in it over night to 'test it out'. and since it's something I can't document and prove is a problem without somebody else occupying the space and having that same issue... I can't really beat them over the head about it.

They had a previous tenant who just left she came in during autumn and left June 1st, she was an outside smoker and a bit of a liar about things on the property. So basically the evidence to the owners looks like it's perfectly habitable, the previous tenant overflowed the toilet, and there are no smells in the place they have ever detected. While all evidence suggests to me that the wax seal on the toilet is broken and leaking, and the floors and walls are ammonia bombing the whole apartment.

Besides all that the owner has been supportive of me in my case against the current eviction, and has been nothing but friendly. actually offering the place to me exclusively because he knew I needed a place to live.

I think I will just have to chalk it up to should have avoided commiting until I had a full history and a better awareness of the place. And I may go see if I can grab some farmers barn ammonia level detection stuff, and test the air in the apartment so they know the situation going forward. I'd wager it will be well above hazard levels, but it's also possible something else is going on. All I know is that I'm not asthmatic but when I spend any time in there it leaves my throat and lungs sore for days, with a feeling like I strapped on a gas mask and replaced the filter canister with ammonia based floor cleaner.

I've washed floors with ammonia, and cleaned countertops and such with it. it's never this bad unless you don't add water work in a closed room for an hour with it.

Odd question, but I took your assessment of "ammonia" at face value. I actually had a similar situation. Before I became briefly homeless, the place where I was staying was a 1940s era "bungalow house" with just two rooms besides the living space. The thing is I only lasted about 2 months in that place - mostly due to financial reasons, but the smells coming from under the hardwood floors actually turned out to be a leaking sewage cistern underground, and what I guess was the chemicals used in the treatment of said cistern. Basically like living in an RV with the holding tank leaking gas into the living space. Could that be the situation in your place?

Either way, and I hope I'm not patronizing you, if you have an address/reference you can state on a job application, and a roof over your head for just the rainy nights/ whatever (even if you have to engineer a gas mask), then getting the job follows immediately before you can actually go to another place. Since everything takes months to do, it's not a bad idea to build" a good reference with your new landlord, because the first question your next landlord will ask is "can I contact your previous landlord?"

So it is crucial while you look for the next place, that you not offend the landlord you have now. Do what you need to do, but make sure that this becomes a good mark in your rental history, so when you move, you can count on that.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #446 on: June 24, 2017, 08:34:25 am »

Hardwood floors - I have carefully used a pressure cleaner with one of those decking-cleaner heads on stubborn floors.

Alternatively, Mr.Wilhelm may be closer to the mark.
Check underneath the floor, it may be a sewer problem, deceased feline or possum, Indian Burial-ground, or the last tenant may have been that rare serial killer too lazy to buy his own van...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #447 on: June 24, 2017, 05:04:03 pm »

A telltale sign of problems is a discoloration of the floor in a certain spot, or signs of intentional cutting and replacement of wood planks. It is always possible that the problem was discovered many years ago and someone had to pry off some of the floor to dig underneath to get to the problem....

In that place where I used to live, the problem was on the hallway between the two rooms. I quickly learned that if I blocked the space under the bedroom's door the gases would be kept out. That's how o managed to sleep. After a couple of days of blocking the door the odor on the room cleared away, and the odor was basically just outside of my room.

But I'll confess that the "burial site" idea did cross my mind  Grin The owner was kind of creepy. Don't google "salad fingers"  Grin Grin
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #448 on: June 24, 2017, 11:44:19 pm »

I think I mentioned this before but; a previous tenant had multiple cats that used the whole apartment as a litter box. They say they cleaned it up and it's been a couple years since then. but everyone I've talked to who has encountered this problems says that once cat pee is allowed to get into the wood and dry out it will always reek of ammonia in hot humid weather. You have to remove floors and walls and reseal the structure in areas it's touched before putting new materials down and even then if damp weather comes there will be lingering hints of it everywhere. Frankly I'd settle for hints rather than instant lung inflammation and burning mucus membranes.

There is an odd chance that isn't the cause. But the other suspected culprit is the previous tenant says that the wax seal on the toilet seems to be broken, and she says that months ago the landlords alcoholic, pot smoking, bipolar mooch of a brother who paints the rooms and mows the lawns to stay on the families good side so he's not thrown out on his butt, had screamed at her for water staining on his ceiling. She says nothing was spilled or leaking in the bathroom. I saw the bathroom before she moved out. No signs of problems that I could see. But a month later she tells them the seal looks like its broken and a week after that when I go get the tour after my security deposit there is a big ring around the toilet under the lynolium tiles (just like a broken wax seal would produce after leaking for months).

The drunk brother says she must have overflowed the toilet. They all convince themselves of that. No matter how much I ask to just have the subfloor and ceiling checked for urine soaked water leakage over months, mold and rot, etc. I mean just check it and fix anything before it becomes an even bigger problem. But I also know they would just be convinced it's just water from "when she overflowed the toilet" which she says she never did and would have reported it to the property owner and not his lunatic brother (who other tenants can vouch for the fact that he berates and threatens all women and blames them for everything wrong in his world).

It's possible it's the chemical mix the brother used to try and clean the stain up, but it lingered for 4 days with windows opened to vent. and in all probability it's both things going on at once.

Either way it's not going to get resolved before fall, if ever, no matter how much I pester them about how their assumptions are not supported by the evidence. and if I do that I burn through a good reference and the only place thu far where I can park my car in the shade, refrigerate my food, shower in a hurry and change clothes.

I'd rather just buy myself the time and move on after that. I can't make the willfully blind see, and I have my own struggles beyond this to worry about. I cannot fight every fight right now.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #449 on: June 25, 2017, 12:36:11 am »

Two days ago I repainted the ground floor stone window sills on one of my properties, these windows face directly onto the street as it's an end of terrace property (the mid section of the terraced flats are recessed from the street with a small garden area, but are smaller internally). The paint was a slightly different shade to the original, and I only did the sills not the rest of the windows, but overall it looked OK and better than it did before.

Today I went to check everything was OK and to complete a couple of remaining tasks before the new tenant arrives, and the first thing I find is that some sodding little scroat has written on the new paint with a black indelible marker pen.  Angry

I suspect I know who did it, due to a number of reasons:

1) The ink was fresh, it still smelled of "marker pen" / solvent.

2) The text was "Dont Beleive In Others Opinions" [SIC] written in a somewhat Gothic style and forming a small paragraph rather than single line.

3) The small group of late teens congregated in the back lane just around the corner from the crime scene.

4 ) The group contained Three Females and one skanky looking Emo-wanabe male. All trying to look and sound "cool".

I spoke out loud just enough so they could hear me,  "I don't know what that is supposed to mean, but I do know what WRITE ON MY WINDOWS AGAIN AND I WILL SMASH THE TEETH OUT OF YOUR FACE, means...". Actually it was laced with a lot more profanity than that.

I heard a voice quietly mumble "Fu** off...", it was a male voice.

I also happen to know where the scruffy Emo lives. Seriously he really is scruffy, he looks like a badly diseased Chihuahua!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: