The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:51:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An interesting idea...  (Read 589 times)
husbandofemily
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 10, 2016, 10:15:30 pm »

Hi everyone.

I've just posted my "Octoship" picture on the "Steampunk Tendencies" group on Facebook. A very imaginative fellow called Scott posted a lovely reply.

I Googled it, thinking it was a quote from a book/film/game. Turns out, he made it up on the spot. After asking if he wrote, this idea came out:

"Steampunk Stories? Collect the best illustrations such as yours, then allow short stories (5 pages) to be submitted for each. It could work."

Anyone any thoughts on this? This is a text based sub-forum, but there's nothing to say there can't be a text/graphic union thread?
This thread could be a place to post both pictures and text to be matched together maybe?

Scott says he's joining here, and should be along directly Wink

As an example, here's my picture and Scott's prose:

It was in the time before rainbows. My Grandpa used to tell me stories how men lived in mud and the clouds.
He said that when the Whale Wars broke out, mankind was forced to live in the thin air above it all. Crops where neglected and the people grew fewer every year until Solariumrefraction was discovered in the stratosphere.
It was the discovery of solar and then steam energy save the human race.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:17:02 pm by husbandofemily » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 01:04:53 am »

A while back there was a thread where we posted a lot of images of different types of airships, and some of our members were doing pretty much this while figuring out what the different designs were used for. This is also done quite a bit for several of Maets' builds.

In short, we love the idea. Your friend, Virtual Scott (or is that Scott, your virtual friend?), provided a very nice, evocative story, all in the space of a short paragraph.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 05:11:01 am »

I like this idea. I like it a lot...

GCCC, you were saying something about blog content a few threads over, no?

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 03:21:11 pm »

Yes; why? Would this sort of thing be acceptable blog material?
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 05:36:40 am »

Assuming the quality of writing is good, yes. There could be a post putting the prompt out there, then say a week or so later the winning piece is posted on the blog.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 09:14:01 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
A fantastic collaboration, most splendid!
We do something similar to this at Steampunk Madrid, although we base the stories, poems or artwork on an idea, rather than an illustration.

Our current literary game is about meteorites.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 01:58:44 pm »

Assuming the quality of writing is good, yes. There could be a post putting the prompt out there, then say a week or so later the winning piece is posted on the blog.

I should be sending you a PM sometime this week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: