The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:53:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for advise on first character.  (Read 629 times)
Toledo
Deck Hand

« on: May 30, 2016, 08:06:33 am »

Hello everyone.
I am a steampunk newbie who has a first character in mind, but is unsure weather she is steampunk enough. She is a pharmaceutical assistant in a slightly dodgy but far from out of business pharmacy/surgery. She works for a mysterious man who she calls 'The Professor'. He makes all the medicine in the back room, which she is rarely allowed in. When she is, she has to wear goggles. She doesn't like to think why. The pharmacy is full of snakes, floor to ceiling, all looking at her all day long. She shudders to think what they are even for. Other than that, her life contains a couple of steampunk cliches such as strange inventions (with a medical, rather than military theme) and a general steampunk aesthetic of waistcoats, collar pins, frosted glass brown jars all around the shop, and general brass/other generic metal machinery.

Thank you very much for reading my somewhat lengthy post. I would be very happy if you would give your opinion on it and maybe suggest some ways to improve it, especially to make it more steampunk. Thank you.
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 04:57:48 pm »

...steampunk enough.

That right there is your only mistake!  Cheesy Your character is yours, and  your steampunk is yours, and "steampunk enough" is whatever works for you.

Personally, I quite like the creeper snakes.

Now, if you want to, ah, intensify the character, are you looking for more steam, or more punk?

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply
Toledo
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 05:09:50 pm »

That is a good point. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Maybe more steam? There isn't a lot of heavy machinery going on. Maybe that's what's in the mysterious back room? According to her diary, the professor does occasionally build machinery, there are some sketches, but if you put the things she's sketching on the floor, they wouldn't reach up higher than your knee. I like heavy machinery, perhaps I'll throw in some background airships overhead.

Thanks for helping!  Cheesy
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 09:59:36 pm »

Well, I do imagine a pharmacy might need a big, scary, extremely dodgy steam-powered autoclave.
Toledo
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:19:01 am »

Thank you! An autoclave makes much more sense in the scene I just wrote than a sink. I'll put one in the back room.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 04:26:59 pm »

*Shrugs his hunched wolfen shoulders*
Well my dear, the only thing slightly "Steampunk" about me is this ere Ætheric pistol other then that, I'm just an ordinary lycan that walks around wearing robes.
Okay I am the only wolf that wears robes.
As long as you work in the victorian/wellsian word then you class as "Steampunk"...
ok not even that classes  Shocked Grin Tongue

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 06:15:58 pm »

If you haven't named your character yet, send a scramble of the letters of your name stating that you are female to Nephelle's thread. Your Hidden Steampunk Name. She does amazing anagrams. If you want visual inspiration look at Victorian and Edwardian fashions as well as the Playing Dress Up threads. 

Your character develops over time,  Being the sort of steampunk you would like to meet is the best guide I can think of, the only rule is to be splendid to one another. 
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 09:50:01 pm »

Don't forget that if you have ideas that don't seem to fit your current character, don't dismiss them. You can have as many characters as you like Smiley

...steampunk enough.

That right there is your only mistake!  Cheesy Your character is yours, and  your steampunk is yours, and "steampunk enough" is whatever works for you.

Exactly this, too!

For some reason, your character description made me think of something I came across earlier whilst looking for Alchemist vials. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fantasy-Glass-Potion-Bottles-Set-of-3-Dragon-Blood-Love-No-9-and-Eye-of-Newt-/301765565261?hash=item4642a11b4d:g:85MAAOSwPYZU77YK

Enjoy  Grin x
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 08:25:02 pm »

We're supposed to have characters?

I am myself, but when I go to an event I tend to dress a little fancier than my daily garb.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 08:50:59 pm »

We're supposed to have characters?

I am myself, but when I go to an event I tend to dress a little fancier than my daily garb.

I am me and always have been. Clym Angus; Lord of Misrule, Head of the House of Misrule. Steel smith, link maker, artist, poet, fighter, animator, audio dramatist, web site format super thief, deliverer of films that most of you have seen, plumber, landscape gardener, bricky and many, many other things.

Don't be someone else, find the well spring from which you flow. Give it a polish and take pride in it. Be you. Because, well you know, you are unique and insanely rare. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:53:37 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: