The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 08:06:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rant about jewellery...  (Read 3644 times)
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2016, 04:51:17 am »

The other night at work, I took a glance at a book that was "20 steampunk jewelry projects" , I was disappointed with it, because it really was of the "string some keys and gears together" variety.... Art Wench, everyone started out somewhere, it's the folks who keep learning and improving that usually end up with the most interesting stuff.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2016, 08:12:25 am »

I just participated in a contest to make a dollhouse-size witch's vanity table.  Entries seemed to fall into 3 categories: 
1) purpose-built for the contest;
2) an existing piece with a few witchy accessories added to qualify for the contest, and
3) did they even read what the contest was?

Category 2 seems to be where a lot of commercial steamjunk lands. 
Category 3 covers a lot of stuff offered on ebay as steampunk. 

http://www.minidolllist.com/witches/vanity%20contest.html shows the entries (mostly not steampunk, though one has a great stool with clockhand legs).  Mine is at the very bottom.

I thought everything there looked like a good-faith effort.  Even the one which seemed to have missed the point (the witch doll in a sort of vignette) looked as though a considerable amount of thought and effort had gone into its making.

Thanks for sharing those.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2016, 07:21:39 pm »

I just participated in a contest to make a dollhouse-size witch's vanity table.  Entries seemed to fall into 3 categories: 
1) purpose-built for the contest;
2) an existing piece with a few witchy accessories added to qualify for the contest, and
3) did they even read what the contest was?

Category 2 seems to be where a lot of commercial steamjunk lands. 
Category 3 covers a lot of stuff offered on ebay as steampunk. 

http://www.minidolllist.com/witches/vanity%20contest.html shows the entries (mostly not steampunk, though one has a great stool with clockhand legs).  Mine is at the very bottom.

If you have ever looked at any of the contests on instructables you pretty much get the same three categories.

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2016, 02:42:02 am »

The other night at work, I took a glance at a book that was "20 steampunk jewelry projects" , I was disappointed with it, because it really was of the "string some keys and gears together" variety.... Art Wench, everyone started out somewhere, it's the folks who keep learning and improving that usually end up with the most interesting stuff.

In a different direction of disappointment entirely, I was given a beautiful book of vintage jewelry projects, all of which seemed to have instructions like (not actual quotes):

"Take an antique tintype and drill a hole in the top..."
"I made these earrings from one-of-a-kind Second Empire French charms I found in Paris ..."
"Nineteenth century buttons make wonderful ... "

While mass-produced projects may have a sameness, at least they are possible to make.

There is nothing quite so discouraging as someone showing off the antique treats that you'll never be able to find or duplicate under the cruel pretext of being a how-to manual.
Tiff Hudson
Swab

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2016, 03:32:55 am »

Aha. The Universal Art Rant.
Much the same can be said for just about any medium. The best you can do is take a deep, cleansing breath and move on. Just be glad you aren't in the Fine Art Painting world where talent-blind collectors pay millions for crap a monkey could do. :-)

Fiddly prop maker, mold maker, etc.
http://tiffhudson.com
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2016, 03:34:34 am »

Much the same can be said for just about any medium. The best you can do is take a deep, cleansing breath and move on. Just be glad you aren't in the Fine Art Painting world where talent-blind collectors pay millions for crap a monkey could do. :-)

My profession is a fine art painter.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2016, 05:14:56 pm »

My profession is a fine art painter.

Ouch!

Perhaps you could get a monkey?  Grin

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
ArtWench Prime
Deck Hand

Itinerant Artist

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2016, 07:04:06 am »

And that is the world in which I live. I used to be a portrait artist and it was incredibly disheartening to struggle to make a profit when the "Tie a String to a Tin Can" and "Butt Print Flowers" crowd got all the press and earned an outrageous amount of money!
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2016, 10:06:09 pm »

..snip..
Maybe I'm just going mad (and jealous) because I spend 16 to 22 hours on one piece when they spend five seconds? I've been lurking around the forum for many years now and I've really appreciated the nurturing and encouragement.  I certainly don't want to tread on a creative spark just starting out.  I have no quarrel with people buying cheaper pieces for a one off event or kids starting out with an SP jewellery kit but I'd love to see members and creatives strive for better.  Use new and unusual components (but don't try to sell Tritium pieces on Etsy - they won't let you).  Push boundaries.  Make that finish as perfect as an imperfect human can.

Something to consider is that there is a spectrum of quality or craft to items being sold as SteamPunk jewelry (or any type of product).

Maybe some photo examples of each "level" would be in order to visually demonstrate the concept you are talking about.

For instance, my first SP purchase was a set of goggles.  They were made of plastic and had that brassy wax stuff polished on them to make them look metal.  The same color all over, even the removable rims.

That's Level One SP Goggles.  Just store bough goggles with "metal" polish put on.

Level Two is gluing on some gears or swapping in those funny lens cut out things

Level Three is wrapping the main plastic body in leather, so it looks to be of a differing material from the other visible parts.

Level Four is making the body out of custom materials (ex. all leather body, not a wrap job).

Level Five is making the entire goggles yourself (using found objects  that were not goggles before hand).

I don't have pics handy to illustrate this, but we've all seen these variations on goggles.  Sales people are selling us Level 1-5 goggles.  I bought in at Level 1.  I did so to mod it to Level 3, but clearly, somebody's crafting to sell at that Level.

Is it wrong to do so?

Or does Caveat Emptor apply.  Let the buyer beware, or more optimisitically, let the buyer decide what they think is cool or in their budget.  Because a Level 3 set of goggles cost more than $15 that I paid for my Level 1's.

Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2016, 09:44:24 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Very good points, indeed, Kensington Locke.
I can be amused by cog-encrusted tatt, awed by objects with moving parts, and enamoured by anything that speaks of creativity. And if it has just a touch of humour, better yet.

I try to make and refashion things from found objects rather than buying, as I prefer to spend my money on travelling to Steampunk events and my hours of insomnia puttering about making a new portable time machine.

I prefer to buy books and prints rather than objects at Steampunk conventions, because...well, my amateur workmanship is superior to the vast majority of the things I see on sale.
But, on the other hand, when I see something that is world class work, out comes my credit card.

I think the idea of informed buying is what I maintain is the best way to go. Yet I don't find myself actively preventing newcomers from buying 'junk' at events.
Maybe preaching by example is the way to go- I was on a panel at the EuroSteamCon in Seville a fortnight ago and that was my message- Making objects isn't a requirement to be a steamer, enjoying yourself and being splendid, is.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2016, 06:58:57 pm »

To quote the dead poets society:

HOPKINS
               "The cat sat on the mat."
KEATING
               Congratulations, Mr. Hopkins. Yours is
               the first poem to ever have a negative
               score on the Pritchard scale. We're not
               laughing at you, we're laughing near
               you. I don't mind that your poem had a
               simple theme. Sometimes the most
               beautiful poetry can be about simple
               things, like a cat, or a flower or rain.
               You see, poetry can come from anything
               with the stuff of revelation in it. Just
               don't let your poems be ordinary. Now,
               who's next?

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2016, 07:01:43 pm »

I always feel a few cogs can be a nice decorative touch and if they don't actually do anything, well never mind; but at Whitby last weekend there appeared to be a few people who thought that buying a packet of cogs and fastening them in rows all over their top hats made them more steampunk!  Fortunately there were also some absolutely splendid creations to show them how the thing should be done.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2016, 10:35:24 pm »

I always feel a few cogs can be a nice decorative touch and if they don't actually do anything, well never mind; but at Whitby last weekend there appeared to be a few people who thought that buying a packet of cogs and fastening them in rows all over their top hats made them more steampunk!  Fortunately there were also some absolutely splendid creations to show them how the thing should be done.

My theory on that is that a Steam Punk person (as a resident of a fictional world), is obviously a fan of technology of their era.  So they might where adornments demonstrating that, like a gear pin, or something.  Much like a person of our modern era might where a shirt featuring their favorite pastime or product logo.

But going full gear is like going full endorsement race car driver suit.  It's loud.  It's obnoxious, and it's tacky.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2016, 02:56:15 pm »

My theory on that is that a Steam Punk person (as a resident of a fictional world), is obviously a fan of technology of their era.  So they might where adornments demonstrating that, like a gear pin, or something.  Much like a person of our modern era might where a shirt featuring their favorite pastime or product logo.

But going full gear is like going full endorsement race car driver suit.  It's loud.  It's obnoxious, and it's tacky.

I can assure you that I do not live in a fictional world (& I do dress Steampunk to a degree daily (this has been covered elsewhere, so I won't go into it here)).

My main bugbear with "Steampunk jewellery" is actually twofold:

1. That the bulk of it seems to have a base of some mass produced tat that mostly doesn't even relate to Steampunk (Owls, Skulls, Octopuses & Ankhs being the main offenders) with cogs & whatnot stuck on.

2. The stuff that is just entire watch movement attached to cuff links, rings, broaches, whatever.  Not so much that they use the whole movement (they can be a thing of beauty, as noted previously in this thread), but the fact that they are without fail modern movements & not always entirely mechanical.  I've even seen some in Camden Market with a battery still in place!!!

Neither of these show any skill or artistic talent from the perpetrators & should in all honestly consigned to landfill, rather than adorning somebody's outfit (especially those that have put a great deal of thought & effort into what they're wearing, only to fall at the last hurdle with their adornments).

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2016, 06:17:38 pm »

Any man or woman can play copy de pastey with a hot glue gun.
Art on the other hand requires a little more idiom and if it is not being ironic, then sometimes a measure of craft.

Still as a beginning it is fine but it should only be considered a first step, not a destination.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2016, 10:45:55 pm »

Hopefully 'stick a few cogs on' people will see what others are wearing and will learn and then do the decent thing.  The better the outfits the more fun for all of us.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2016, 04:53:16 am »

Hopefully 'stick a few cogs on' people will see what others are wearing and will learn and then do the decent thing.  The better the outfits the more fun for all of us.

I prefer the charitable interpretation that such people can be considered to be dressed like "Pearly Kings and Queens", using small cogwheels instead of mother-of-pearl buttons to adorn their outfits.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2016, 03:19:09 pm »

I prefer the charitable interpretation that such people can be considered to be dressed like "Pearly Kings and Queens", using small cogwheels instead of mother-of-pearl buttons to adorn their outfits.

There's that.  Considering from that angle, my wife just got some new boots, and she wants to glue some gears on them.

Yeah.

Now I can try to dissuade her by presenting "an even better idea" if I can come up with one.  But ultimately, as anybody with a spouse or SO or stubborn friend knows, you can't change somebody else's likes.

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2016, 10:05:42 pm »

How about making a pair of lacy spats.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2016, 10:29:59 pm »

just adding: that's a pretty good idea that would spruce up any footwear without modifying the shoe itself.

For this project, that would probably hide the strappy bits it came with that drove the sale.

I've got some ideas for the heels actually.  Ultimately, she said it has to have some gears on it..  I just need a proposal that is better than actually just gluing some gears on it. Smiley

Should probably set up a thread for that topic with a pic of the boot.

My core point is, some of us are married to people who just want some gears glued on it. Smiley

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:39:50 pm by Kensington Locke » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2016, 04:50:54 am »

Oh, brilliant.
I have meters of chocolate coloured lace I salvaged from a tatty  skirt  bought for 1 euro and only yesterday was pondering whether to acknowledge I was never going to find a use for the stuff.

I just read your post and had an epiphany. Of course. Alternating layers of fine leather, velvet and lace to make spats. With metallic filigree and tiny chains.
Actually, I have all the ingredients in various stashes. All that was needed was your idea, frances.
And the forum here at Brass Goggles!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2016, 05:39:21 pm »

YES! Want, want, want .....
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2016, 06:01:09 pm »

"Lacy Spats" sounds like it would make a perfectly fine steampunk name.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2016, 07:37:04 pm »

"Lacy Spats" sounds like it would make a perfectly fine steampunk name.
Either that or a punk band - "Lacy Spats and the Steamcocks."

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2016, 08:35:41 pm »

Oh, brilliant.
I have meters of chocolate coloured lace I salvaged from a tatty  skirt  bought for 1 euro and only yesterday was pondering whether to acknowledge I was never going to find a use for the stuff.

I just read your post and had an epiphany. Of course. Alternating layers of fine leather, velvet and lace to make spats. With metallic filigree and tiny chains.
Actually, I have all the ingredients in various stashes. All that was needed was your idea, frances.
And the forum here at Brass Goggles!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Please don't forget to post up the pictures once they're done. And a how-to guide wouldn't go amiss either  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: