The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 10:50:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GE LED "warm candle light" s can they be opened?  (Read 500 times)
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Sky Pirate Brewer

« on: May 30, 2016, 05:06:39 am »

I guess I should ask if they can be opened and still be used.  Wink  I got one of their LED lamps intended to replace the incandescent lamps with.  It has 4 lengths of what I can only assume to be LED material.  There were two things that struck me as being odd.  The glass envelope appears to be designed to  keep a vacuum inside the bulb.  Also, the good old FCC Class 15 warning.  Do these guys use RF energy to light the bulb?  I have a HUGE lamp that is missing the internal parts.  It's globe is intact, it just has nothing inside them.  I wanted to take the guts out of the GE LED lamp and put them into the Huge lamp.  Does anybody know anything about these GE LED Bulbs?
Thanks,
The Sky Pirate.

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 05:44:10 am »

An LED lamp has no need for a vacuum, indeed it would operate better with air circulation to carry away heat.  The part 15 notice applies to almost any electronic device.  A common circuit in LED lamps to be driven from AC used a capacitor as a primary current limiting element, a bridge rectifier, and a second capacitor to smooth the rectified DC.  I'd be greatly surprised if any RF was involved, LEDs operate on DC.

Does the lamp look similar to what's featured in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NffhdAz9pc4?
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 06:29:20 am »

Does the lamp look similar to what's featured in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NffhdAz9pc4?

BINGO!  You hit it on the nose.  It did take me a little longer than some of the viewers, as I had to translate it from British to English!  Wink
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 06:32:53 am »

Oh, the circuit board in my GE "25watt replacement"  does have a capacitor on it.  Since these are only a 25 watt replacement, I can wire about 6 of them in parallel to get some decent light output.  Smiley
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 12:48:07 pm »

The LEDs are GREAT, but they do put of some RF noise that gets picked up in my fm radio.

Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 05:28:01 pm »

An LED would not produce RF noise.  The circuit driving it might.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 01:43:08 am »

^correct!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
mizzarrogh
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 10:11:55 am »

Some of the better quality LED filament lamps with glass globes are filled with Argon gas to make better heat transfer.

The sheaper ones with plastic bulbs is just a half sfäric globe, tried once on a small brooken plastic bulb vith a jewelers saw and carfully cut i loose, it seems to work.

Sir Farthington-Smythe
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 08:10:02 pm »

An LED would not produce RF noise.  The circuit driving it might.

Spot on!  The AC input and DC output circuits are (depends on source) generally separated by a transformer to prevent mains current from electrocuting the user, or igniting electrical fires.  It is this transformer which produces an EM field which manifests itself as RF noise.

Here're a couple of videos which might be of interest to you.
Making a DIY tubular glass LED filament lamp.

Ridiculously huge LED filament lamp project.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:13:09 pm by Sir Farthington-Smythe » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: