The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 10:03:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you build a Steam Punk burglar alarm?  (Read 2073 times)
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 12:29:35 am »

mount the keypad in the center of a bear trap. with a small sign...

"you get ONE try"
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 03:41:57 am »

"you get ONE try"

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 02:58:16 pm »

"you get ONE try"

I would get my own hand chopped off...the amount of tries i tried to open the door with the key of my bicycle lock...

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 03:41:13 am »

"you get ONE try"
A wood stick defeats that.  Also the problem Caledonian mentions.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2016, 08:31:33 am »

O. B. McClintock burglar alarms looked very steampunk.

Outside bell
One of these burglar alarm bells appears in "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them".
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 03:09:08 pm »

question:  you guys refer to an outside box.  Is that just a UK thing?

the horn for my ADT alarm is in the attic.  The brain is in a closet.

All that's visible of the alarm is the motion and glass break and door sensors on the ceiling and the keypad.

For deterrence, they give us stickers for the windows and a metal sign to put in the front yard.

I'm just thinking that there's some variance in what folks have, relative to mods to make.

Also, if you do have an outside box, along with considering what impact the mods will have on the horn or light, also consider weathering, something that's not an issue for indoor items.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 06:43:22 pm »

the horn for my ADT alarm is in the attic.  The brain is in a closet.

All that's visible of the alarm is the motion and glass break and door sensors on the ceiling and the keypad.

For deterrence, they give us stickers for the windows and a metal sign to put in the front yard.

I'm just thinking that there's some variance in what folks have, relative to mods to make.

Also, if you do have an outside box, along with considering what impact the mods will have on the horn or light, also consider weathering, something that's not an issue for indoor items.

Yes, the box goes on an outside wall, usually quite high up, and has a siren alarm or bell and usually a flashing light.  The alarm is supposed to stop sounding after 20 minutes but the light continues so you know it's been triggered when you return home - presumably so that you can exercise a little caution before entering the premises.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 02:11:01 am »

In the uk and parts of Europe It is common for burglar alarm systems to have an external wall mounted box. They are generally called a "bell box" by the public or referred to as a "SAB" / "SCB" by installers ("Self Activating Bell" or a "Self Contained Bell" - both slightly different, but pretty much the same thing). The actual "bell" is usually a loud siren or high decibel Piezoelectric sounder, actual real bells are rare on anything other than very old alarm kit, though they still exist.

Generally most look something like this:

There are other types of alarm sounders too, some of which are for use in remote areas, and as such are loud enough to cause damage to hearing if you happen to be in the vicinity of one when triggered... Shocked

Actually this topic has given me an idea, my house alarm recently 'sh*t the bed' and I had to disassemble the control panel and rebuild the electronics. In the process I had to "crash" the system and I'm currently reprogramming it with new codes and functions.  It would be a fairly easy job to make the system look a little more steampunk, it's currently in bits anyway...  I suppose I could make a few additional upgrades along the way.

OK, I shall see what I can come up with and start a new topic shortly.  Grin

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
cossoft
Gunner

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2016, 11:53:06 pm »

...consider weathering, something that's not an issue for indoor items.

Weathering works to my advantage in the UK.  This is my external bell box:-

The faux rust makes the intruders believe that the alarm doesn't work whilst in reality they're sitting ducks.  Lambs to the slaughter in my cunning and lethal scheme.  Have you seen the house in the SAW movies?  Think about it, would you dare to break in?
cossoft
Gunner

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2016, 12:15:00 am »

Seriously though, I would have thought that rather than silly stickers, your best option is to rely on your Stand your Ground legislation and deploy a Glock or Mossberg. 
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2016, 03:16:24 am »

Ah if we are going to be serious, over here a steampunk version would be setup up only as a visual decoy.

Some folks "in town" mounted cameras at arms reach and relied on those alone. Without alarms, they are useless. Believe it or not, Many of this cameras have been stolen! Ah, the irony.

I have been taught that a layered system ( at least 3 layers) is best. Even if the alarm alerts the local police, it can take up to an hour for them to respond, if at all.

On a rural property, such as we have, the furthest out is A perimeter alert ( dogs) , followed by IR and invisible laser beam triggers along the gate, drive, and paths,  followed by wired doors and windows, followed by interior motion sensors, backed up by camoflaged cameras mounted high out of reach and out of easy sight.

That sort of system is used by many of the retired Military and Science Types with Clearances who live around here.

The most useful part is the dogs! They alert the entire neighborhood to the most active intruders, the local black bears, and chase them off as well! The rest keep the "punk burglers" and gypsies at bay. Pro's go up to the "gated golf course area" - they have money, expensive stuff, and jewelry; they don't bother with our area, all we have is "old used stuff",  "old soldiers", dogs, and old functional guns.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 08:11:47 pm »

Ah, a case of "Release the hounds!"
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 08:56:38 pm »

Actually this topic has given me an idea, my house alarm recently 'sh*t the bed' and I had to disassemble the control panel and rebuild the electronics. In the process I had to "crash" the system and I'm currently reprogramming it with new codes and functions.  It would be a fairly easy job to make the system look a little more steampunk, it's currently in bits anyway...  I suppose I could make a few additional upgrades along the way.

I shall watch with interest. Points deducted for lack of pits traps and wild eaty things...  Grin

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 09:01:14 pm »

...consider weathering, something that's not an issue for indoor items.

Weathering works to my advantage in the UK.  This is my external bell box:-

The faux rust makes the intruders believe that the alarm doesn't work whilst in reality they're sitting ducks.  Lambs to the slaughter in my cunning and lethal scheme.  Have you seen the house in the SAW movies?  Think about it, would you dare to break in?

I shall watch with interest; Pictures (designed of course, to mislead) are mandatory . Points deducted for ONLY pits traps and wild eaty things...
Extra points for most ingenious use of hot chilli sauce, and most organs affected by it.   Grin

*apologies for partially recycled reply! waste not, want not...  Wink*

I expect great things... Grin

HP

HP
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 09:37:59 pm »

I shall watch with interest. Points deducted for lack of pits traps and wild eaty things...  Grin

HP
Ah, nothing to add apart from I just really like the phrase wild eaty things. Carry on.......

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2017, 06:26:05 am »

HP

I am indeed still working on this project, and I think I have one or two interesting ideas in the mix... Wink
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: