The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 03:05:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Source for dolls? BJDs or latex, etc (for creating dressing dolls)  (Read 495 times)
mizzarrogh
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« on: May 27, 2016, 04:18:48 pm »

I am totally new to this so i wonder where i can get affordable plastic dolls for creating my own designed dressing dolls, etc

I hawe found some expensive but wery beautiful Japanese ones, unfortunatly i can not afford lot of them at the moment, no matter how much i want them, but i hawe seen some cheaper chinese dolls that looks a bit the same way, does anyone here know more abot those?

Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 04:44:26 pm »

I adore BJDs, but the Japanese ones are so expensive! Have you heard of Monster High? They have a huge doll merchandise thing going on. I even had a few up until a year or two ago. They are ball jointed and pretty good quality. Widely available in toy shops and online for normal prices. I've seen some pretty awesome repainted versions in all sorts of styles. Just choose one you'd like for a base and get modding  Grin

Because they are so popular, people do clothing for them, too. Though it's always more fun to do your own! There is already a steampunky version anyway, as one of the characters is that way inclined. I'm pretty sure a quick seach of 'monster high steampunk doll' would bring it up.

They are by no means the beautiful BJD from the likes of Dollfie and LUTS, but they are pretty good BJD quality for a high street brand.
PM me if you like, I can link you to my pinterest BJD board. Hehe! Xx
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 04:48:49 pm »

Side note: googling 'monster high steampunk doll' brings up a huge collection of dolls that people have already repainted and designed themselves. How delightful for inspiration!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 06:55:52 am »

There's another BJD thread around here somewhere. I'll track it down when I have an hour or so to spare if someone doesn't beat me to it.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 03:01:58 pm »

Side note: googling 'monster high steampunk doll' brings up a huge collection of dolls that people have already repainted and designed themselves. How delightful for inspiration!

I persuaded my youngest to dress up for her first Steampunk event by saying she could go as Robecca Steam. However, since discovering the joys of tea duelling, teapot racing and jet-packs she needs no such encouragement!

Yours,
Miranda.
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 10:15:00 pm »

I persuaded my youngest to dress up for her first Steampunk event by saying she could go as Robecca Steam. However, since discovering the joys of tea duelling, teapot racing and jet-packs she needs no such encouragement!

That is an ingenious way to encourage her. I have never actually taken part in a tea duel or a teapot race, but I've been away from my local scene for a few years. I feel like I have missed out!

I'm really glad she's enjoying it  Smiley

Kind Regards,
Penny
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 05:18:07 am »

I've seen some very well made Monster High knockoffs; they were more generic that the official dolls, which might make them better suited for customization. They are also likely to be cheaper.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 11:06:25 am »

In the UK, another place to look would be in the 'Toys R Us' sales shelf. The thing about Monster High and suchlike (a similar, or should that be knock off? brand is Ever After High) is that they are constantly putting out new variants to keep the sales up, so you can often find 'last seasons look' in the bargain bin.

Yours,
Mirada.
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 12:23:56 pm »

They have one in Asda at the moment for £12, reduced from £20ish. I was so tempted  Cheesy
mizzarrogh
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 10:06:57 am »

Thank You so much!!

Yes, they looks suprisingly good when i looked it up, i even found some videos about it.
Seeems like it´s even possible to change the entire hair, etc just like the finer dolls.

I found some Disney dolls on the bargain shell some days ago (they aperars to be China dolls, at least they hawe the Cina dolls marking on them so i guess parts of them are the same as the random bodie) (Only thing now is that i did not wanted to cut Anna into pices when i got her in my hands, i like her to much... So i guess i hawe to keep looking for other dolls... Cheesy )

(I don´t live in the UK, but i think that store is in my country too somewhere, i remember i hawe seen the name somewhere in a neigbur city, i will also take a look if they hawe strawberry shortcake dolls there, i hawe some ideas to place Lemone on the surgery table -Just for some medical experiments... He he hee...).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: