The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 04:07:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Steam-punk Indie Game I'm making  (Read 973 times)
Galactic_Muffin
Swab

United States United States

« on: May 26, 2016, 05:52:50 am »

So i have been working on this game for about a year now with my brother in Unreal Engine in C++ and basically I just want to get the opinions of steampunk enthusiasts like myself to make sure we are doing the right thing Smiley

I cant say much about the game right now and i cant show any footage yet but basically it's all about airships and sky exploration/survival.

In-game render:

Airbike model in progress:

Some concept art:

I wanted this game to FEEL different than most games. I wanted this game to be more centered around mood and experiencing the world in the sky rather than an action packed game like Guns of Icarus. so for that reason music will be one of the most important aspects of this game as it will set the stage for the mood for the entire experience. i have always had a strong opinion about what kind of music really feels like steampunk and i actually disagree with most of the steampunk fanbase on what kind of music defines the genre. for me, this is the kind of music i think feels right and the kind of music we are writing for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocIn4GcyMa4&list=PLB4047788AC22A06B&index=58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBx-6Ku7jyg&list=PLB4047788AC22A06B&index=217

husbandofemily
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:32:24 am »

As one indie game maker to another, I doff my hat to you  Wink

That looks really good so far - you've really got the aesthetic down well.

I look forward to the Alpha phase  Cheesy
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:44:41 am »

Your Designs have a Jules Verne Flair about them! Keep up the Superb Work!
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:44:43 am »

Looks lovely! Hats off to you and your brother!
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 05:22:17 pm »

Oh my! This is like a fabulous start- I really hope this is a success!
It looks gorgeous, even as sketches.

Good luck- and welcome!

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 01:56:46 am »

Good start.  looking forward to seeing more.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 03:59:43 am »

Forget the game, produce plastic/resin models!!!!!!!! Wink

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Galactic_Muffin
Swab

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 04:52:39 pm »

As one indie game maker to another, I doff my hat to you  Wink

That looks really good so far - you've really got the aesthetic down well.

I look forward to the Alpha phase  Cheesy

Thanks everyone for the support! I'll try to regularly update it here then. also, if you guys have any ideas or suggestions for things you have wanted to see in a steampunk game, let me know! I love hearing the suggestions of other steampunk fans Smiley
vladtepes
Swab

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 07:26:39 am »

Looks like it will be absolutely epic ! Looking forward to it Smiley

The art is great, the concept imaginative (flying bike bring it on!).

Music is a very subjective thing. Of the two pieces of music you've linked I think only Fields of coral is close to MY perception of what might work when creating a 'mood'.  Just needs to be tilted a little bit more along the spectrum - from relaxing toward 'haunting'.

I suppose it would be appropriate to release it on "Steam"  LOL

Best of luck !
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 12:30:23 am »

Looks fabulous so far. I'm looking forward to seeing updates Smiley

First pants... then shoes
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 10:22:03 pm »

Really lovely designs.

Do you suppose at least one female character could have a bit more realistic body?  Hips and stomach and thighs to balance out the generous bosom?   
Those skinny sex kittens always make me think the game is just for boys, not girl friendly.
Steambow
Swab

South Africa South Africa

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 01:39:05 pm »

From what you've shown this will be a must have game for a steampunk gamer. Very eager for the alpha phase. Character movement and interaction with the world it plays off in will be key to a great sky adventure. Ever thought of sky cities held alof by zepplins or such...
Galactic_Muffin
Swab

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 11:53:27 pm »

Hey guys! Glad to see you are all still interested in my game! So here is a small update to show i haven't left you all hang'n Tongue

So a little progress on one of the vehicles which i think I'm going to call a Pegasus which are very fast and a typical craft of choice for dogfights and maneuverability:

Most of the engines used in this steampunk world are not steam-powered at all but use a form of a mysterious crystals that provide more torque and lift the more opposite force is applied to it aka heavier objects invoke more lift in this world. Apart from the energy source, the way the machines work in this world is very much the same as our own industrial revolution.

These are probably the style of clouds we plan to use in the game:

Most games have a landscape of some kind and most of the time videogames have spent years mastering landscapes from the perspective of someone on the ground. This game however will be spent entirely in the sky which means we wont be focusing on a surface landscape and instead we will be focusing on the landscape of the sky. So creating fully 3D and dynamic cloud formations and different types of cloud scenery is going to be amongst the top priorities for this game.

A new character sketch. Just trying to get the costume design down for this world Smiley
Galactic_Muffin
Swab

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 03:15:35 am »

Really lovely designs.

Do you suppose at least one female character could have a bit more realistic body?  Hips and stomach and thighs to balance out the generous bosom?   
Those skinny sex kittens always make me think the game is just for boys, not girl friendly.
Absolutely. But actually, I was trying to be very conscious of the issue of sexism when designing her. The small hips and torso is not supposed to be so much of an element of sex appeal but rather of style. All the characters including the men I intend to be designed that same way. Her breasts were also not supposed to be massive or meant as a point of focus of her design; I refuse to have the generic scantily-clad, big-chested and huge-butt characters you see so much in games these days in this game. Rather, I wanted her to feel strong and able to hold her own in a dogfight (she will be the pilot I put on the air-bike after-all).

I want people to ultimately look at the world as an alternate reality to our own even if the graphics are a bit stylized. Which is why I think it is important to think about the practicality of everything. Smiley
Galactic_Muffin
Swab

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 03:38:17 am »

Well as it looks like I cant edit or multi-quote posts, ill have to necropost to reply to you all :/ sorry about that

Looks like it will be absolutely epic ! Looking forward to it Smiley

The art is great, the concept imaginative (flying bike bring it on!).

Music is a very subjective thing. Of the two pieces of music you've linked I think only Fields of coral is close to MY perception of what might work when creating a 'mood'.  Just needs to be tilted a little bit more along the spectrum - from relaxing toward 'haunting'.

I suppose it would be appropriate to release it on "Steam"  LOL

Best of luck !

Absolutely, but i get what you are saying about "haunting and actually a lot of the music we want to go into that direction. But we want a balance of both beautiful and peaceful and haunting because that's exactly what the world int he sky is. The world in the sky is filled with horrific things in this world and this is the last of the human population on a world that is crumbling before them. Nobody can return to the surface and everyone has taken refuge in the sky like being trapped on a sinking ship gasping for air as the water levels rise in the room pushing you closer and closer to the ceiling. That's what it is like to live in this world. This game is more about survival than it is about conquest and discovery; though those elements do exist in this world too. Despite all that gloom the sky can also be a very peaceful and beautiful place at the same time. This contrast between the human race hanging on by a thread and the beauty and wonder of exploring the sky is what we hope to capture with the music in this game.

With that said, perhaps a song like this fits your description a bit more? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=894Q_s6S5gw These songs I'm posting are old so please Ignore the cheesy 80's synths however the melodies, overall mood, and vocals is what we are aiming for here. I love this song because it has a perfect mix of "something isn't right, something is a bit off" presented by the "droplet sounds" which also give the feeling of a clock ticking; as if time is running out. But amungst those clashing tones, the song also follows a beautifully calming and mysterious melody.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 10:21:15 am »

good answer.  Cheesy
and I like the new image.

Absolutely. But actually, I was trying to be very conscious of the issue of sexism when designing her. The small hips and torso is not supposed to be so much of an element of sex appeal but rather of style. All the characters including the men I intend to be designed that same way. Her breasts were also not supposed to be massive or meant as a point of focus of her design; I refuse to have the generic scantily-clad, big-chested and huge-butt characters you see so much in games these days in this game. Rather, I wanted her to feel strong and able to hold her own in a dogfight (she will be the pilot I put on the air-bike after-all).

I want people to ultimately look at the world as an alternate reality to our own even if the graphics are a bit stylized. Which is why I think it is important to think about the practicality of everything. Smiley
Galactic_Muffin
Swab

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 09:11:21 pm »

Some updates on our cloud engine:

Trying to create procederal volumetric clouds that will grow into massive towering stormclouds, puffy cumulus clouds, wispy cirrus clouds, stratus clouds, and even multiple layer clouds.

Character design for modelling:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: