The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 06:21:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk mask build progress  (Read 1616 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2016, 02:00:38 am »

Looking great (pun intended). Just wondering; do you have some kind of apparatus to open the covers to the third eye, or must it be done by hand?

Obviously the brain surrounding the eye has a consciousness and must have the ability to open the shutters when it senses the need.

I saw looking at the design and thinking that the pieces applied to the stock mask could have been built as stand alones to be worn over an unmasked face. The look would be very reminiscent of some of Jack Kirby's later designs.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2016, 07:11:55 am »

By hand unfortunately. There really isn't much room there for any mechanical device. I suppose you could pop open my skull, as there's plenty of empty space in there. But alas, that's a bit beyond my budget.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2016, 10:28:55 am »

Perhaps for the mark 2 version, a pair of push/pull rods (one for each door) mounted on the front of the mask and not behind it.  You would have a method for revealing the eye (without obscuring the mask when you do it) and room for your noble brow.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2016, 11:08:19 pm »

A couple of small brass pulleys, model ship rope and chain, and have it come down around your neck(one on each side?) and meet at the chest with a nice pendant or, perhaps, another eye on a pendant for the pull.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2016, 11:26:30 pm »

hehe reminds me of a steampunk automaton I played in a RP game once. Had big metal mustache that moved up and down when he talked
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2016, 09:56:12 am »

hehe reminds me of a steampunk automaton I played in a RP game once. Had big metal mustache that moved up and down when he talked

A bit like Tik-Tok in Return to Oz then.

Hmmmm, a mask with an adjustable mustache. That could be interesting.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2016, 06:27:59 pm »

Perish the thought of popping open the skull. There's too much of a risk that all of the resident creativity within might escape. 

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: