The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 09:58:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk mask build progress  (Read 1630 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« on: May 23, 2016, 01:48:22 am »

I've been thinking that perhaps adding a mask to my Steampunk persona might add a bit of interest to my appearance, so I've set out to do a half mask, with a slightly metaphysical twist of adding a third eye. Figured I might as well post photos of my progress and see what everyone thinks.

I started out with a paintball mask I ordered online years ago. They've just been sitting in the drawer.

I thought adding a mustache made from craft foam would make it more 'gentlemanly'. and I added eye covers from some decorative aluminum screen that a Facebook friend sent me. Rivets of course were a necessity.

Next, I drew the outline of additional plating onto the mask, filled them in with pieces of masking tape, then used the tape as a pattern to trace the shape out onto thin craft foam. The center hole was made from a slice of pvc pipe cut and sanded to shape. Hopefully by the end it'll look less like a character from a He-Man cartoon. Smiley

A little bit of damage added.

Test fitting the eye.

I needed a couple of wire coils, so I made up this rig using an electric drill.

Electrodes to be added later.

I decided to add little doors over the eyes, so I started out building it on a pvc pipe fixture and cutting it off.

Test fitting the piece.

And heres where we stand now. I need to sand down the red bondo and add additional detail to the doors. Then it may be time to consider priming.

What do ya think sirs?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:53:49 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:06:06 am »

Fascinating so far.  I look forward to further progress.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:33:20 am »

Not much progress tonight I'm afraid. Most of my effort was in gettign the doors covered and installed so they would line up without too large a gap. But here they are glued into place. So tomorrow I'll fine tune everything. Add add another layer of Mod Podge to seal the foam, come up with a way to stiffen up the hinges so the doors wont swing all over, clean up any edges that need them, then start priming.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:41:50 am by Herbert West » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:50:53 pm »

The creativity on BG is mind-boggling in it's variety!
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 02:05:03 pm »

Watching with interest to see where this goes.  Nice start.

Asphalt
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 04:05:09 pm »

Excellent progress so far.  How thick is the plastic on the base mask.  You mentioned it was a paintball mask.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 04:34:50 pm »

As usual with your work, this is going to be amazing when done.

The only thing I would consider changing is the shape of the mustache tips. Having them curl up at the tips would, I feel, make you appear more approachable (that is, if you want people to approach you!) and would add a touch of whimsy.

Like this...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HC4yl-LZ6bA/U3BTfKPNxcI/AAAAAAAAAqU/cKKpNsPfEXg/s1600/IMG_20140510_190040_482.jpg

Or waaaaay overboard, like this...

http://cycling-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/handlebar-mustache-300x200.jpg
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 08:24:07 pm »

Well, this ones meant to match my own mustache, and is a more serious design to hide a face scarred by some metaphysical entity But I still have another mask in the drawer and that sounds like a great idea. Reminds me a bit of Hatchworth from Steam Powered Giraffe.

The masks are about 2mm thick, and made of that tough, flexible, slightly oily feeling plastic.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:39:59 pm »

Wonderful- I do like the way this is going!

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 12:44:37 am »

Only just seen this. Wonderful work as usual. Watching with interest.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 11:14:34 am »

Nothing much to report tonight. I removed the doors and sprayed i down with Krylon gloss Fusion and left it to dry. Tomorrow I break out the air brush and the Alclad II brass.
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 10:13:17 pm »

This is looking fantastic,  as usual. Thanks for showing us your process, it is really useful for people to see that sometimes the most beautiful objects sometimes look a little weird at some points in the project.
I really feel that when some people start out as makers they end up giving up because they struggle to make something that is immediately perfect rather than seeing that sometimes a project looks bad before it looks good.
Of course that isn't to say that this doesn't look amazing already, it's just nice to see some foam and plastic in the knowledge that it will end up as good as your other projects.

First pants... then shoes
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 04:17:10 am »

That's so very true. I don't know how many times I've felt discouraged by a half finished piece. "Ugh, this looks like a cheap piece of plastic crap." It's just something you have to force yourself to power through. Don't judge a piece until you've done all you can with it. In most cases at that point you can tear it down or repaint it.

I have to admit I was a bit self-conscious about posting these, as I still feel like a beginner. But if it helps anybody, I'm happy to share ideas.

I forgot to give credit to local artist Bill Doran at Punished Props, who makes everything from armor, to space guns out of plain old foam material for giving me the idea. Foam is so much more forgiving and easy to work with than sheet plastic.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 05:45:23 am »

I'm fascinated.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 10:26:17 am »

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that apart from drying times, this fancy Alclad brass lacquer really doesn't look that much different from plain old Krylon spray paint.
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 11:14:46 am »

I have to admit I was a bit self-conscious about posting these, as I still feel like a beginner. But if it helps anybody, I'm happy to share ideas.
Good lordy man! God help us all if YOU are a beginner. Smiley
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 12:17:12 pm »

Good lordy man! God help us all if YOU are a beginner. Smiley

The joys of low self-confidence. Smiley

So for tonight progress report, we're primed and painted. Now to let it dry overnight.

I've come to the conclusion that plain old spray can Krylon looks just as good as fancy (and expensive) Alclad II lacquers. Though the Alclad does dry a heck of a lot faster.
I primed the thing with Valspar gloss black pait for plastic, followed by brass Alclad, then Liquid Leaf copper and brass, and gold Rub n' Buff for the details.

Tomorrow I start weathering.

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 02:10:07 pm »

Every time you update it this looks more impressive.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 05:37:45 pm »

It the circle with doors like a miner's lamp, or does the character have a third eye?

I like seeing the mask painted black; many people like to paint on detail for projects of this type, but when it's painted all one color you can really appreciate what's there.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 06:43:06 pm »

Following through the transformation from the start of the thread to where it is now - just brilliant! I'm looking forwards to the next installment.

Yours,
Miranda.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 07:16:46 pm »

It the circle with doors like a miner's lamp, or does the character have a third eye?

First set of pictures  about fifth picture down, test fitting the eye.
It's a green eye with a vertical pupil and no white, should look splendid against the metallic colours.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 03:51:37 am »

Nope. It's a biological entity linked to the wearers mind using the mysterious powers of electricity. It functions rather like a miners cap for detecting paranormal emanations.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:51:11 am by Herbert West » Logged
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 11:33:11 am »

Painting and weathering is done, using lots of black and dark brown washes, with just a hint of greenish blue. And electrodes put into place. Tomorrow, I touch up the electrode attachments with a bit of silver, spray it with a metal sealer, and start working on the third eye.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:36:18 am by Herbert West » Logged
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 11:39:32 am »

Looking good. Seems like we spent the day doing almost exactly the same thing Smiley
montrehomme 50
Officer
France France

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 06:49:36 pm »

I love it, and great to see the transition, from ordinary mask to extraordinary creation!.  Can't wait to see the finished result, very well done!.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: