The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 25, 2017, 01:20:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roll Call! Any former or current U.S. Civil War re-enactors here?  (Read 1717 times)
keithjones
Gunner
United States United States

« on: May 21, 2016, 02:18:49 am »

In a previous life, I was a Civil War re-enactor with Co. K., 12th New Jersey.

I  thoroughly enjoyed myself - hey, what's bad about dressing in 19th Century clothing and carrying a weapon (sound familiar?)  It was a good run (1992-2005), but towards the end it was getting absurd trying to pass as an under-45 year old, or as my pards used to say, we should be portraying the GAR (a Civil War veteran's group).  I still have my gear, some of which I've re-purposed for my steam punk impression.  When my neighbors have a wood fire, I get very nostalgic..

Anybody else wore or still wearing the blue or butternut?
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 04:47:11 pm »

Yes.  Alamo City Guards (which became Edgar's Battery, Company A, Texas Light Artillery- it was nice to have been able to loot the San Antonio Arsenal in mid-February 1861).   I also do a medical impression & a Post Office impression.  I do the two latter impressions because I'm a bit older than most WBTS soldiers.  The average age in Edgar's Battery was 28 & I'm 69....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:33:27 pm by Will Howard » Logged

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:21:41 pm »

Oh I did quite a bit when I was young back home.

Battery B, 1st Pennsylvania Light Artillery, where I was a powder monkey and a loader on a gun crew.

5th Texas Infantry, Company F, where I was an infantrywoman dressed in grey and butternut.

148th PA Field Hospital, where I was a stretcher bearer, as well as its guard company, where I was another infantrywoman dressed in Dark blue.

And man, oh man, do I miss it.
keithjones
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:59:56 am »

And man, oh man, do I miss it.

Yup, I also miss it - but I don't miss driving long distances on a Sunday afternoon, torrential downpours in a shelter half, or musket cleaning.  When I check the website for my old company, I see that a lot of my pards have quit - the camaraderie was always a good thing.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 02:48:13 am »

True enough.

I personally enjoyed the torrential downpours in a shelter half, as well as the musket cleaning, and frequently go camping under a shelter half still, and shoot muzzleloaders frequently, so I still get lots of practice.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 08:37:00 am »

My friend Mr. Arvis, a long time member who hasn't been here active in the forum for at least two years (he tends to "pop in" every once in a blue moon), has always liked a role in artillery on the Confederate side. I'm sure he's done something along those lines... so I'll reply in his stead. I never participated in any type of re-enactment, only in fiction writing (but in my alternate historical Steampunk background, I take the role of a Union Captain and later Admiral during the fictitious Franco American Aerial Battle over the Sonora Desert. Basically a World War- like expansion of the Civil War into Mexico against Austrian and French forces during the Maximilian Empire)...

And I know we have more members who have warmed up to the Am. Civil War role, be it North or South, if perhaps not in actual re-enactment, at least sartorially speaking or in fiction writing....

(Mr. Arvis and his fantastical self made goggles - 4th picture from top to bottom.  I'm the one in the first picture, then dressed as a mechanic back in those years)

http://steampunkbible.com/2011/05/admiral-j-wilhelm-talks-about-austins-various-steampunk-groups/

Testing an antique firearm at the shooting range (Don't ask me why he is looking in one direction while firing in another  Grin)

http://texassteampunks.ning.com/photo/p1020409-1?context=latest

(The one on the far right)
http://texassteampunks.ning.com/photo/gs323-1?context=latest

Some sympathizers with the Confederate cause in the forum:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29746.msg789080.html#msg789080

I think Mr. PiYak Studios has done a great deal of Confederate/ Steampunk Confederate costuming, including a Lousiana Zouave, but I can't find any of his pictures in his posts! His image server must have erased the pictures over time

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26499.50.html

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,44176.0.html
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:39:17 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 09:04:06 pm »

Rev War and F&I.

-Karl
Capt. Barley Wilkerson
Snr. Officer

This tea is FRIGGIN' ridiculous!

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »

my father founded the original 1st Maryland Cavalry Co. A & Co. B, Confederate States of America, back in the 80s... when not engaged as 1st MD, we were usually portraying Brigadier General JEB Stuart and staff...

this was him in full uniform as Stuart... i have most of the uniform, somehow, but the rest of it and pretty much everything else was lost in florida when he died...

i really wish i had that hat and the boots. i wore the uniform, modified, to my sister's wedding.

Welcome to the Lovegood & Savage Museum of Fine Artistry and Exotic Artifacts

Lets upgrade this conversation to realtime, join me in the chatroom - #brassgoggles
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 04:33:59 am »

I got to spend one day in an NC unit. Didn't have a uniform, so they had me dressed as a union soldier with an upside down US belt buckle (something about 'southern nation'). Interesting times...
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 03:13:02 pm »

I got to spend one day in an NC unit. Didn't have a uniform, so they had me dressed as a union soldier with an upside down US belt buckle (something about 'southern nation'). Interesting times...

As for belt buckles, the State of New York issued one with "SNY", but Southerners all knew that really stood for "Snotty Nosed Yank".
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 09:29:54 pm »

Sternwheeler LORENA Civil War reenactment cruise July 28-29, 2017 Zanesville, OH.   
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 12:39:07 am »

Last Saturday, I took part in a demonstration of War Between The States (Yankees call it the "Civil War") artillery at Losoya Intermediate School here in San Antonio, Texas with the San Antonio cannoneers.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 05:31:22 pm »

Not as a soldier, but as a Musician; I perform with a few of the local dulcimer and old time music groups around Houston, Tx. and in up through the Texas Independence Trail, for everything from Runaway Scrape (a Texas Revolution/Republic genre), general 1800s, Civil War, and occasionally pre 1st World War or slightly later  (mainly the North Harris County Dulcimer Society) music stylings, as a banjo, fife, concertina and occasionally a fiddle player, in period costume; we get a lot of requests for appearances.

We used to do the Folklife Festival in San Antonio, but lately we've kind of fallen off of that wagon.

At the Fall festival at a Armand Bayou Nature Center (the Farmhouse porch)

OOps! Sometimes I'm the only one who looks halfway period (lol. Actually this was at a club meeting)

Hmmm... seems a few of my images have been mislaid...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:35:26 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: