The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 03:01:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Octoship/The Lady Grace (Finished!)  (Read 1935 times)
Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 09:38:25 pm »

I thought you might like to see these photos:

This made by photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt.  It's the upper of the Graf Zeppelin, being repaired over the South Atlantic in 1934.  A storm damaged the skin.

This is also the Graf Zeppelin.  The aviatrix is the splendid Lady Grace Drummond Hay.  She was the first woman to circumnavigate the globe in a Zeppelin (1929).  (Perhaps you could name the Octoship after her?)

This was a Vickers intercontinental design, sadly never built.  It perhaps suggests possibilities for the top of the ship?

Thanks for adding the rigging, I really like that.  I must apologise again, but I'm still not convinced about the front of the whale design.  The rest of it is quite credible.

husbandofemily
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 10:25:53 am »

Newchurch - those pictures are fantastic, thank you for sharing. I'm going to revisit the upper level design, and that definitely looks like a viable design. I'll have a look in a few days. And I quite like the "Lady Grace" as a name  Cool

I might also do a final render as a daguerreotype once I'm done, I think it's look very fitting.

Right, I've been thinking about the whole whale thing; you got me thinking about backstories etc.

With that in mind, I've blocked out a very quick few models and low resolution rendered them, to test an idea. This is going to either make perfect sense, or crash and burn terribly, but here goes:

Believe it or not, Googling "sky whales" or "air whales" brings up quite a few hits, so I'm not (completely) insane.

So, giving the ship a purpose as a sky whale expeditionary vehicle means it would be shaped like that as camoflage, to allow it to get closer. After all, sky whales are known for their poor vision. It's echolocation they use, obviously...

If you don't all think I'm completely off course with this, I'll need to properly model said sky beasts. They're little more than copy and pasted versions of the gas bag at present...
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 02:25:18 pm »

air krakens are very common, why not air whales?

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 07:09:38 am »

air krakens are very common, why not air whales?

Why not, indeed — we already have confirmed the existence of air krill.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 08:33:45 am »

for Your Airship how about the Name Skyship Orca? hope that Works.
husbandofemily
Officer

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 10:20:25 pm »

Well everyone - it's as near as damned finished  Grin

There's still subtle work to do maybe, and I want a final colour render, but my laptop's been burning for many hours to get this far, and it and I both need a rest for a bit  Wink

Also no word on the name of the craft just yet, I might add a plate along with the tiny adjustments.
Thank you all for your contributions, you've made a huge difference  Cheesy
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 10:29:20 pm »

Scientific name of a humpback whale - Megaptera novaeangliae

Giant squid - Architeuthidae

Maybe something useful in the above for a name.
mizzarrogh
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 12:23:59 pm »

That squid thing was realy cool!
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2016, 01:50:11 pm »

The Lady Grace....

I like that. And I think I'm going to have to google her further. Incidentally, on the subject of Aviatrix, look up Dolly Shepard and her autobiography 'When the Balloon Went Up'. An absolutely fascinating account of Edwardian parachuting. True story, better than fiction!

Pilot
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2016, 02:10:24 pm »

Turned out well. Nice work all around. Smiley

First pants... then shoes
husbandofemily
Officer

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 11:18:19 am »

I didn't like my cotton wool style clouds, so I revisited it.

Right - I'm finished. This time  Cheesy

Notwithstanding the name plate I only just realised I forgot to create until after the final 40+ hours of rendering, and then post processing on top, it can darned well stay off  Cheesy

So, only the members of this hallowed site will know the true name of the Lady Grace ;-)

Thanks again for all your input guys, I only wish I could please everyone, but there we go.
Sir Farthington-Smythe
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 02:56:08 pm »

I applaud your fine work.  Rendering does take long, especially when quality is your goal.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 06:38:24 pm »

That's gorgeous; you should offer that as a print for sale.

I guess I'm old, but I still can't read the signage on the port side. What does it say?
husbandofemily
Officer

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 09:06:57 pm »

That's gorgeous; you should offer that as a print for sale.

I guess I'm old, but I still can't read the signage on the port side. What does it say?

Why thank you  Smiley

And it's "Lord Harley Crudgington's Sky Whale Expedition".

(Confession time - I put my name into a "what's your steampunk name" generator online. The Mistress of Names here will be so cross with me  Shocked)
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2016, 11:33:31 pm »

Looks good, but if you think rendering is time consume, try make an actual model. Grin
husbandofemily
Officer

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2016, 12:23:35 am »

Looks good, but if you think rendering is time consume, try make an actual model. Grin
Cheesy I'll bet. The missus would throw a fit if I got some oxy/acetylene gear - the fire risk alone, never mind the clutter.
Don't'get me started on a fully stocked workshop.

The joys of an OCD wife  Roll Eyes
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2016, 01:17:11 am »

Do you have a little yard, with space for a 'little' workshop?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2016, 03:22:11 am »

Cheesy I'll bet. The missus would throw a fit if I got some oxy/acetylene gear - the fire risk alone, never mind the clutter.
Don't'get me started on a fully stocked workshop.

The joys of an OCD wife  Roll Eyes

I have a special horror of having small children around when I'm doing something like carving a banjo neck or messing with heavy items; I absolutely love the neighborhood kids (I live with my folks - long story, there), but a couple who're not terribly well-versed in the concept of property boundaries or personal space have wandered into our garage a few times while my Dad and I were working were working on things. There's nothing more frightening (if you have kids in your neighborhood that are into everything, you know what I mean here) to be horking away on a stubborn nut or bolt underneath a riding mower teetering back and forth on jackstands and suddenly hear beside your ear, "Whatcha doin' Mister B?" Or, to be going great guns, the wood curling away under your drawknife, only to be confronted with a tiny finger directly in the tool's path, and a small voice saying, "Is that a bug hole?" Incredibly cute and adorable, yes, but dear God the what-ifs...

And, yes, teh clutter angle. I can just see one of those heavy maple balks by the back garage door falling on little Joshua (Not His Real Name), or other heavy items seemingly leaping out to ensnare the small and inquisitive...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 03:51:17 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2016, 09:36:58 pm »

I didn't like my cotton wool style clouds, so I revisited it.

Right - I'm finished. This time  Cheesy

Notwithstanding the name plate I only just realised I forgot to create until after the final 40+ hours of rendering, and then post processing on top, it can darned well stay off  Cheesy

That is truly splendid, and I think the cabin, in particular, is quite magnificent.

So, only the members of this hallowed site will know the true name of the Lady Grace ;-)

Thanks again for all your input guys, I only wish I could please everyone, but there we go.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2016, 12:53:36 am »

Noticed that your Octoship image made it into the print version of 3DArtist this month, nicely done sir.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2016, 02:30:55 pm »

When you've steeled on the final design convert it to an .STL file and let me have it then I can print it out for you!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Maxwell Grantly
Deck Hand

Author and Illustrator

@MaxwellGrantly
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2016, 04:04:44 pm »

I love your pictures of your octoship - you are a very talented creative person. Well done.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2016, 12:34:33 am »

Wow, that's so nice, but now I want a close up!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: