The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 11:54:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: How far should I go ?
Full on Diesel - 2 (15.4%)
Blast of Atomic - 0 (0%)
Subtle nuance - 2 (15.4%)
Vintage - 1 (7.7%)
Retro - 0 (0%)
Antipodean Revival - 0 (0%)
Industrial - 5 (38.5%)
Interbellum - 3 (23.1%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pimp My Abode  (Read 1498 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: May 18, 2016, 04:03:37 am »

I am relocating to a new  place of residence. It is an older home;  a post ww2  construction of a pre war design. It retains a substantial requisite  of its original  features and sympathetic renovations and retro fittings of a slightly later era.   

This is  the one property  image I was able to salvage:

it has the original stippled glass fanlight windows, paneled doors, high paneled ceilings, retro re fit full height polished wood  fitted wardrobes and storage cupboards

It is a long distance move  down country. To facilitate this I have greatly thinned my belongings  [ thrown out a  household of  cheap tatty trashed  junk]. The sourcing of articles for refurnishing of the premises will be required. [ scouring Sallie army, 2nd hand shops and cheap chain stores for more tat]

Which poses the question how far  do I go?

Do I go all the way with a diesel punk do over ?  Go for an Atom punk explosion ? Shift down in gear to a subtle influence of industrial and vintage ? Stay sympathetic to the era of the house design?

Give me your considered opinions

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:49:54 am »

The retro/ 60s  thing

http://hunguponretro.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/nz-retro-beach-house.html

Interbellum/ vintage

selectedgrub
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:28:38 am »

Firstly will you or do you own it.
That makes a big difference in what you can do to it.

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 07:31:53 am »

Greetings My Dear Annie -

My Lovely Spousal Unit and I have always been fond of U.S. Craftsman style, Shaker Styles, and the post WW2 Danish stuff. It is all basically
simplified minimalist furniture without all the fru-fru and turnings & etc of say, french provincal...

Your "Interbellum" looks rather nice...

Perhaps you might wait until you see what is available in the new town? When we got to where we are at I discovered a plethora of the plain "craftsman style" solid oak and oak plywood furniture showing up at the thrift and consignment stores! Now I actually have to stop buying oak bookshelves and desks :-(

Or... gawd helpus ... I can recommend several "build your own housefull of furniture using common lumber and a circular saw" books.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:32:59 am »

I would suggest keeping as many original features as you can live with and go for an Art Nouveau style.  This works very well with high ceilings and/or lots of natural light.  

For instance, the kitchen doors you have would go with the designs of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.  

When adding light fittings, replacing/repainting kitchen doors and handles find Art Nouveau shapes and styles.  Similarly with picture and mirror frames, shelving and furniture.  

For carpet and/or rugs go with a main colour such as peacock, royal blue or even a strong red.  If you keep the walls light it gives a feeling of quality without going into gloomy.

Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:59:33 am »

That's a rather impressive kitchen, Miss Annie.  I see much potential for large gatherings of steampunks.  If I'm correct in thinking you've moved to the bulge on the left-hand side of the island, do get in touch with the locals - they're a splendid bunch; very active and creative (and you'll need a racing teapot ...).  I can connect you if you wish.

To your question.  My taste tends very much towards the first photo under interbellum, but what of your taste?  Do you have a personal preference? 

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 08:41:53 am »

Colonel Hawthorne that "bulge"  as you  so eloquently put ,  depends on which direction you are looking at it from.  Up or down.  Rolling on down from my direction its on the right.  Taranaki. I will have to put in agapanthus and get a small picture of the mountain . It appears to be a regulation bylaw. The locals appeared to be friendly.

It will be my own  home to do what I like to, Mr Grub. I can go wild .

Prof. Marvel,  The furniture in the local 2nd hand shops was  of the   "cleared out  grannie's house"  design style .   Which suits the inter war / interbellum  theme I go for.  1920s 30s  with a vintage military /  industrial influence.  [or the usual kind of detritus  they have in Kiwi op shops].

Your Spousal Unit [ you romantic you]  would  enjoy herself thoroughly

The Country Hospitality and Tourism Shop, Ohura.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:44:25 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 01:31:16 am »

I would suggest keeping as many original features as you can live with and go for an Art Nouveau style.  This works very well with high ceilings and/or lots of natural light.  

For instance, the kitchen doors you have would go with the designs of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.  

When adding light fittings, replacing/repainting kitchen doors and handles find Art Nouveau shapes and styles.  Similarly with picture and mirror frames, shelving and furniture.  

For carpet and/or rugs go with a main colour such as peacock, royal blue or even a strong red.  If you keep the walls light it gives a feeling of quality without going into gloomy.

Arts& Crafts, Art Nouveau  replica  or influenced pieces are usually easy to find here.  There was a big housing boom  in the early 1900s and the hardware stores  keep a  supply of faux vintage products.

It can be a matter of the right handles,  rug , ornament and colour pallette.  It is simple ideas such as  calendar pictures in a cheap frame,  brocade cushions,  and a  knock off vase or 2
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 09:11:04 am »

Nice to have your own house to do with as you wish! I wish I could afford to 'do' mine some more, but alas, money is tight, and the more practical living things have to be attended to first. I find myself looking at the 'less is more' option, more and more!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 01:39:37 am »

Nice to have your own house to do with as you wish! I wish I could afford to 'do' mine some more, but alas, money is tight, and the more practical living things have to be attended to first. I find myself looking at the 'less is more' option, more and more!

That is where the  minimalist Industrial look comes into its own .

Or the  Interbellum  interwar look  courtesy of the charity shops.

I will have to be doing the more practical stuff first. I am  deciding on a theme to aim at. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 02:40:56 pm »

I use galvanised industrial shelving in my office/study/library, as well as a mix of timber in a variety of styles. It's a bit of a shambles, really, and long overdue for a clean-out and reorganisation. Perhaps I will use the putting in of the new window as an incentive to get moving on a re-org, but as I am heading off to Ireland for 3 weeks soon, it just may have to wait. Depends on the builder's schedule!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 03:26:20 am »

There is nothing like going away, soaking up new influences  and coming back  home with a new set of eyes for  lending a  renewed perspective on ones home and surroundings.

Maybe a  Celtic / Gothic influence  might inspire you.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:48:30 pm »

Mayhap it will!

I have been there several times already and am greatly attracted to traditional Irish furniture. I have managed to find and download plans for several pieces, so if the yobbo who is supposed to finish clearing my workshop ever gets around to it, this summer may see me making a couple of pieces. Then I will have it ready to move there!!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 09:04:58 am »

Mayhap it will!

I have been there several times already and am greatly attracted to traditional Irish furniture. I have managed to find and download plans for several pieces, so if the yobbo who is supposed to finish clearing my workshop ever gets around to it, this summer may see me making a couple of pieces. Then I will have it ready to move there!!

Pardon my ignorance. Is your workshop in Australia or Ireland?  If the former, that'd mean transporting the furniture long distance!!!

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 11:47:31 am »

Currently my abode, and, by default, my workshop, is in Oz, but my medium term plan is to move to Ireland. The furniture will, of course, come with me, but as I am only taking about half-a-dozen other pieces, there will be plenty of room in the 8' x 20' foot container!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 08:00:39 am »

These rooms inspired me

what sort of look would  you call them ? [ loaded question ]  Fire away  -  answer as you will.

Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 10:44:28 pm »

Neo Vicwardian Eclectic.

Covers a multitude of sins style choices.

Love the top one.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 04:59:29 pm »

The top photo really resonated.

Neo Vicwardian.  It has a ring to it

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 05:31:18 pm »

It's more what you want to live with than what you call it.  I do have one caution, although the white sofa looks very elegant I strongly advise against white upholstery, cushions etc. they show every speck of dirt.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 12:48:03 am »

It's more what you want to live with than what you call it.  I do have one caution, although the white sofa looks very elegant I strongly advise against white upholstery, cushions etc. they show every speck of dirt.

Yes it would not stay nice for long.  Cry A soft muted floral , paisley   or other vintage pattern could keep the same effect  and easier to live with .
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 11:24:07 pm »

So far I have gone with the Antipodean Revival / Interbellum look; aided by a combination of what was left   of my worldly goods in a few boxes and  what I have collected from local charity shops.  The interior design [ collecting cheap junk ]  is a work in progress   and constantly evolving.

here are shots of the common living areas for your perusal and constructive advice. [ gawking and finger pointing]

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 11:32:23 pm »

-All suggestions for muting down the tacky 60s  Tiki Modern overtones for a more intrepid  missionary / sea master/ explorer hoo doo  voodoo will be taken under  strong consideration.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 10:17:53 pm »

My first thought was how friendly and welcoming it looks.
Personally I'd have a clock or a mirror over the mantelpiece, until I found exactly the right piece of art to go there but that's probably because I'm not used to bare walls, ours have bookshelves over every spare bit!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 10:30:27 pm »

I'm not sold on the African skin cushions nor the fake stone fire surround.  But there is space so it definitely has potential.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 05:47:01 am »

My first thought was how friendly and welcoming it looks.
Personally I'd have a clock or a mirror over the mantelpiece, until I found exactly the right piece of art to go there but that's probably because I'm not used to bare walls, ours have bookshelves over every spare bit!

I am waiting to find the right piece for over the mantle . It requires a well cost piece. I was thinking an art work , either vintage landscape or oriental piece.  Possibly a cheap print or embroidery from  the op shop.  There are mirrors on the opposite wall,  though the right engraved mirror could look the part . 

Either way it does definitely neex something there to fill the void .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: