The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 10:49:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nevermore (finished)  (Read 1911 times)
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« on: May 17, 2016, 12:31:49 pm »

I've just started a project for an upcoming exhibition. It's a project that will be a mix of 3d printing, Super Sculpey and bits and pieces of... well... bits and pieces.
So far I have a concept and the beginning of the 3d modelling. Nothing is posed yet, but the character will be printed in lots of pieces, so it will be easy enough to get a dynamic pose. The concept will also require a pocket watch that the raven has smashed to cannibalise for parts.
The original spark of an idea came from Colonel Hawthorne Smiley

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 07:23:08 am by spacebovine » Logged

First pants... then shoes
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 04:08:30 pm »

I want him already!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:15:50 pm »

"'I warn you,' said the bundle, 'I don't do the N word." T Pratchett, Soul Music  Grin

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:43 pm »

"'I warn you,' said the bundle, 'I don't do the N word." T Pratchett, Soul Music  Grin

HP
Ravens all over the world curse Poe's name for making them no better than a clownish parrot!

Thanks Cora Smiley
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 06:01:49 pm »

HP
Ravens all over the world curse Poe's name for making them no better than a clownish parrot!

Thanks Cora Smiley

Ah, but here we see, an electro-parrot. Much better!

HP
husbandofemily
Officer

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:51:49 pm »

Very nice. I especially like the feet Wink
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:07:42 am »

Well done, sir!

One of the activities we of Capital! Steampunk rather enjoy is readings of suitable works.  We've done Jabberwocky and The Hunting of the Snark  on various occasions, and in two weeks' time will stun the delicate souls of Oamaru with our third rendition of Rude Britannia, a collection of Victorian erotica readings.

I think a spot of Poe might well be added to our repertoire for the exhibition in August.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 09:05:24 am »

Impressive start - looking forward to the rest of the build. Cheesy

I need to get more popcorn!
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:50:26 am »

Thanks folks Smiley
Here is the print so far. No cleanup yet, but thought you might like to see the scale and level of breakdown I'm looking at. The circular bits will be drilled out to accept actual brass screws and I have some brass tubing for the legs and toes. I'll be clagging on some extra brassy bits and teeny hydraulic hoses etc... there may even be some brass cogs!
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 12:57:36 pm »

brilliant!

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 07:24:29 pm »

Will you be releasing the digital files?
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 09:38:36 pm »

The digital files will only be a small part of the overall piece as so much of it will be scratch built. I'm not sure whether they will be much use on their own, the 3d printed parts are really just a foundation.
Once the whole thing is together I might throw them out there somewhere, but it'll probably be more for a select few that are interested, than a mass market like Thingiverse.
One of the problems with sharing files like this is you get a whole bunch of strangers who are grumpy because they can't just print a version that looks just like the eventual sculpture. I can cut corners with the prints because I am the one who is going to be wielding the Dremel, plumber's putty, Super Sculpey etc. whereas a total stranger is not necessarily going to be all that happy if they need to drill holes and track down the right brass tubing for the legs etc.
This is why a forum like this is so great. You are not a complete stranger, who has no idea of the context of the piece... you will watch the project come together and can then make an informed decision about whether it will be worth your while printing the files.

Sorry to answer your short question with a long answer, hope it is at least a bit helpful Smiley
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 11:25:03 pm »

Nice work.  Grin But you need to make 3 different sizes (left & right sides) to go on the muriel.  Wink

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 01:16:58 am »

One of the problems with sharing files like this is you get a whole bunch of strangers who are grumpy because they can't just print a version that looks just like the eventual sculpture. I can cut corners with the prints because I am the one who is going to be wielding the Dremel, plumber's putty, Super Sculpey etc. whereas a total stranger is not necessarily going to be all that happy if they need to drill holes and track down the right brass tubing for the legs etc.

I think that if I were going to go to that much trouble I would create a new design instead of using someone else's.

Are you going to add articulation to the mouth?
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 01:24:22 am »

No articulation in this one, it is just going to be a static sculptural piece.
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 09:11:14 am »

Progress so far. All of the raven 3d printing is done and ready to be dismantled for paints next week. Need to make a start on the pocket watch base.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 03:19:40 pm »

That is going to be one spectacular bird when finished!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 08:01:49 pm »

That is already a wonderful creature, and I'm sure it ill be absolutely spectacular when painted.

Yours,
Miranda.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 05:34:48 am »

It is coming along rather well.

Nobody who sees it will remain Poe-faced for long.
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 09:47:05 am »

Thanks folks. I'm looking forward to getting into paints and weathering Smiley
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 12:48:31 pm »

Tsk, tsk, Colonel! I am reminded of the old adage "He who would make so bad a pun would not hesitate to pick a pocket"
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 12:59:03 pm »

90% of why I create art is to give people a platform for the sharing of terrible puns.
I may sound like a raven lunatic, but I'm happy to crow about giving a space for the punniest of humorists to bring joy to their tell-tale hearts.
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 05:43:19 pm »

Now you're just raven.

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 10:43:19 pm »

Now we see the cheeky chap taking shape. What colours are you thinking of- brass, like the render?

HP
Penny Lovelace
Deck Hand

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 10:45:28 pm »

That looks absolutely amazing. Well done! I'm excited to see where you will take it  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: