The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:14:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music - Steampunk blues  (Read 817 times)
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Be Good All! ;)

« on: May 14, 2016, 11:20:52 pm »

Follwing on from this page... So I found this playlist on the tube of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0lIZHspjXU&list=PLRWBEZUWm6F32ySHk8qawGrp8Y9u8rTPX

Now I like blues music, and although it uses a lot of electric guitars which is well past the effective Steampunk era, I still think it could provide a good soundtrack to a Steampunk video.

What do you Ladies and Gentlemen think?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:28:15 pm by Dr.B.Goodall » Logged

"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 12:47:03 am »

Well, it is blues. And we get to hear a lot of that in the Southern United States, and I could hear this in the 6th Street (pub) district downtown, but what exactly makes it Steampunk? Perhaps the lyrics?

Mind you,  the guitars may not be period appropriate,  but Blues definitely is, as it belongs to the turn of the 19th century, like ragtime music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46293.0.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:54:53 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:10:56 pm »

Not replying...

Actually, I had all three Blues Brothers albums until a flood. I've still got the movie CD; I just need to get around to replacing the other two.

I never said "Star Trek Blues" was any good; I was just looking for something that cued off the name. I actually don't know which was worse, the song itself or the video...

But I do love me some good blues...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:27:45 pm »

Follwing on from this page... So I found this playlist on the tube of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0lIZHspjXU&list=PLRWBEZUWm6F32ySHk8qawGrp8Y9u8rTPX

Now I like blues music, and although it uses a lot of electric guitars which is well past the effective Steampunk era, I still think it could provide a good soundtrack to a Steampunk video.

What do you Ladies and Gentlemen think?

Just going off the first song, it's blues, but I don't get any Steam from it. I'll have to look at the rest of the playlist before I can weigh in one way or the other.

And if this playlist isn't Steampunk, surely some enterprising and talented people have produced some Steampunk blues somewhere*...

(Bahdananana)
I woke up this mornin'...
(Bahdananana)
An' what did I see...
(Bahdananana)
There's a hole in the boiler, now we got no steam...!
LAWD!
(Guitar riff starts)
Whoa! I got those early in the mornin',
Airship worms are borin',
Through a hole the steam is pourin',
Dirigible blues.

*(And hopefully it's better than the above...)
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 10:43:58 pm »

Sorry for the late reply, but I had to go offshore for a bit for work, and the Rig I went to had no internet connection (due to a technical failure, hence why I had to be out there with a Heli "just in case" there was an "issue").

GCCC - Sorry, I never meant to imply that you had poor taste in music, and I didn't mean to sound harsh ... after re-reading my post there I think I could have worded things better.  I'm listening to the links you provided right now (and quite happily chilling out to the tunes). I hope you manage to recover the Blues Brothers CD's / replace them soon, as they have some great tunes on them which I love to listen to while driving to work.  When driving from work, I need to listen to something a lot more "active" (like dance, rock, or anything else that's "lively") in order to keep myself awake for the drive home ... which is 45 mins to 1 Hour, depending on general traffic, and the odd loony driver who decides to speed through the low speed zones, but drive really slowly in the high speed zones (especially when there's on-coming traffic, so they know you can't overtake them).

Anyway, a blues tune doesn't actually have to have any "Steam" power to it, it just has to have the right feeling, combined with the right video clips of Steampunk goodness.  As a complete offshoot example, when I was a kid and Gran Turismo came out on the PS1, "experts" said that it's "indie soundtrack will not go down well with gamers", because all other racing games used dance music style tracks ... The GT series has gone on to be the best racing game series, with the best tunes for years (tho I can't comment on the latest games, as I don't own a Console anymore).  Basically, any tune can be made to fit, depending on the video footage.  Just look at movies like the Lord of the Rings series, the new Star Trek films, and even the new Star Wars film ... All use Orchestral music, tho most "fans" of those films do not like or listen to orchestral music ... But in the film it works Wink
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 11:27:40 pm »

Hey, no offense taken; I just wanted you to know I pretty much share your opinions on Blues.

And, I agree, music not often associated with a genre can indeed mesh quite well with said genre. I have (mentally) made a Steampunk music video for "Shotgun Girl" by the Dear Jane Girls, for instance. I suspect someone has already paired Girl Genius images to Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science". Glenn Frey's "Smuggler's Blues" would be good behind images of Steampunk pirates. The list, obviously, could go on ad infinitum.

Me, I'm a sucker for old-school, classic Hollywood orchestral soundscores (sadly, my LPs for the original Star Wars trilogy went the way of my Blues Brothers albums), so I'm in your minority of those who actually like the music in the movies (...usually, but that is a completely different rant).

For example, I found this recently, which I sometimes listen to when going to bed:

Steampunk & Victorian Era Music Collection | 2-Hour Epic Mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQytHrNyThY

None of these were composed as Steampunk, but they can certainly evoke the feeling, thus illustrating your point.

Speaking of points, I'd like to get back to the Blues...

...Has no one come across any legitimately Steampunk Blues yet? Or are we three the only fans of the genre?
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 07:05:53 am »

Actually most of what's represented here is more modern blues. Or more correctly known as 'Rhythm and Blues'. Very early blues didn't rely on rhythm or staying in tune. Some examples,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy8Am4ZQ-gM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyzAAwJnIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsS2BcR3V_g

For a really steampunk blues you could play on a hand made guitar. Traditionally one to three strings. Either fretted or slide only. Most of the traditional instruments were made out of cigar boxes. One string or 'diddley bow' guitars were noting more than a plank of wood, a glass bottle and a piece of wire wrapped around two nails.

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 10:32:21 pm »

Although it is "future noir", one of my two favorite movie sound tracks is Blade Runner. I may be wrong but the love theme, and one or two others sound quite bluesy to me. The other one would probably be classed as fantasy, rather than Steampunk. It is Somewhere In Time. 

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 05:42:23 am »

Blues, along with ragtime, seem to fit nicely into the steampunk world; they are emergent music styles from the turn of the century that led to our modern popular styles.
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 11:36:45 am »

There is ragtime blues. Blind Willy McTell

https://youtu.be/LMnt5Rhfboo
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 05:14:31 pm »

Me, I'm a sucker for old-school, classic Hollywood orchestral soundscores (sadly, my LPs for the original Star Wars trilogy went the way of my Blues Brothers albums), so I'm in your minority of those who actually like the music in the movies (...usually, but that is a completely different rant).

For example, I found this recently, which I sometimes listen to when going to bed:

Steampunk & Victorian Era Music Collection | 2-Hour Epic Mix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQytHrNyThY

None of these were composed as Steampunk, but they can certainly evoke the feeling, thus illustrating your point.

Speaking of points, I'd like to get back to the Blues...

...Has no one come across any legitimately Steampunk Blues yet? Or are we three the only fans of the genre?

I think soundscores which have been composed for a particular movie are in many ways the modern equivalent of 'classical' music composed pre-films. When well done they are stirring, evocative pieces of music, and with many of the top flight film composers their style is as distinctive as any classical composer.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: