The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:25:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lemons to lemonade, or rather amputation to steampunk leg!  (Read 2687 times)
Sir Farthington-Smythe
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2016, 04:28:25 am »

anyways, I'm still weeks away of going to the prosthetics rehab and starting down that road. I just might go bat shit loony passing time until then, I'm sooooooc bored!
I still have all my limbs, probably due to sheer dumb luck.  However, I did break my back a few years back.  Healing can definitely be boring.  An attitude of hope was my only escape from the boredom.  I knew my situation was temporary, and things would only get better.  Went from not being able to walk, as my left leg was prone to paralysis, to using a walker for more than a year, to using a cane.  Today, I walk around at home unaided, but rely on the cane when I go out.  I still get a few bouts of short-term, very temporary paralysis, but nothing to worry about.

Keep that lemonade spirit, and one day you'll look back at your ordeal as, "Pffft, that was a breeze."

Keep on keeping on, my friend.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2016, 01:27:51 pm »

Today, I walk around at home unaided, but rely on the cane when I go out.  I still get a few bouts of short-term, very temporary paralysis, but nothing to worry about.
Have you considered making a steampunk cane?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:33:44 pm by Aubreay Fallowfield » Logged

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2016, 01:45:44 pm »

wow, mr. Armes sounds like quite the character. it would make for a good retro docudrama tv show.

quick Watson, the pilot episode!!! Wink

... could be a project there ...

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2016, 11:49:23 pm »

now, would Hollywood look for an actor with prosthetic hands or cop out and cgi them away?

as much as I liked the old serial Charlie Chan movies, even as a kid I was dumbfounded they
couldn't find an actual Asian actor. especially so with the Peter Ustinov remake.

I do have a copper cane I started on a while back, and a fairly nice cane I picked up at a civil war event. either one would suffice once I start on the new leg.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 11:56:26 pm »

now, would Hollywood look for an actor with prosthetic hands or cop out and cgi them away?

as much as I liked the old serial Charlie Chan movies, even as a kid I was dumbfounded they
couldn't find an actual Asian actor. especially so with the Peter Ustinov remake.

I do have a copper cane I started on a while back, and a fairly nice cane I picked up at a civil war event. either one would suffice once I start on the new leg.

Jay J. Armes appeared on an episode of the original Hawaii Five-O. The episode was recently remade with Peter Weller.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2016, 09:18:35 pm »

ooh the wireframe stuff looks great!

my problem is going to be a rather short gap to work with, the amputation is only the foot and the first 6 inches or so of ankle/leg. pretty much all of my calf is intact so far.

I'm thinking some sort of sleeve over the cup part and then an outer framework, with the center rod hidden more or less. perhaps a few well placed bolt heads and screw heads so that it looks actually bolted to the calf and some bodged together barbed wire running down to a salvaged animal foot, gator or raptor/avian in design. the skin where it's cut off could be hog ringed to the wireframe, and maybe even surround the center rod to make it look more like bone, even add a fibula.

So how about taking a cue from Terminator.  Make it a bare metal, skeletal structure, so it sticks out your pantleg looking wicked metal as you walk around making horrific metal on flooring noises.

Since the pantlet covers the mount point and the flesh leg, nobody knows if you have an entire robo-leg or not.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2016, 07:31:56 am »

hmm I like, add the old sandals so i'm not ice skating across the linoleum and you might got something here. Grin

It's soo close to being healed up now, just one rather cavernous end to skin over. maybe then at least get over to the prosthetics office to see what's what. if they say "oh no, you got months more before we can start fitting you" i'm gonna go all Buford Pusser on somebody, maybe not walking tall, more like hopping short.

I swear, if I stuck a corncob pipe in the gap and drew on some eyes, it would look like popeye the sailor. maybe I should switch from iceberg lettuce to spinach! well blow me down! ack-ack-ack-ack... ack  Roll Eyes

hehe, either it's getting late or they're putting something in my water again! either way, bedtime! now i'm hungry for a salad...
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2016, 07:39:04 am »

on a side note, I picked up an electric scooter a while back with the hope of using it where a great deal of moving is planned but a wheel chair might get crushed in the crowd.

turns out its much less of a mobility scooter and more of a lake bed speed trials scooter! it blows the doors off those little razor electric scooters.
I had hoped to gear the speed down and make the rear axle immobile ( the scooter can and will lean considerably for cornering, and in my case, fall over while standing still)

the seat is another bone of contention, it take on the demeanor of a suppository for anyone but the lightest person.

strike three, it weighs in at close to 150 pounds! a hernia is the last thing I need right now.

on a fluke, I ran across knee walkers/scooters and plan to pick up a used one for the purpose of adding a motor drive (one that can freewheel to move manually ) and pretty much replace the wheelchair I've been toting about.
I should be able to use it both kneeling and sitting, powered and unpowered.

the nice thing will be the weight, they are flyweight to begin with and I'm hoping to keep the motor and battery weight down to a minimum.

if you google them, they look to be quite steamable! first to be customized would be the bench seat rest. I have quite a lot of fancy tapestry to cover it and some nice gold trim with tassels would give it a nice Ottoman ottoman look.

tyhey make rough terrain knee scooters but they're just too pricey for me to splurge on. besides I have some bigger tires for the front already and  with a bit of paint, it should all come together nicely.

hmmm, I'm having too much fun with this whole cripple thing, hope the doctors don't find out!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: