The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 02:11:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lemons to lemonade, or rather amputation to steampunk leg!  (Read 2657 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 05:46:17 pm »

(snip)

now I have even longer to consider it all, they had to go back into the amputated area and scrape out another staph infection. this after questioning the logic of no follow up antibiotics after the original amputation and multiple visits to the surgeon with complaints of what looked like to me, an infection. needless to say the rework was done by a new surgeon.

a month of fitful rehab and mending wasted completely, back to square one.

Oh my goodness - what do they think they are doing with you?! I sincerely hope the new surgeon is rather more effective that the previous ones.

(snip)

I thought about some sort of bird or dinosaur foot borged onto the leg, mad science ftw.

(snip)

For the latter, you've got an automatic back story - "The beasty took my foot, so I returned the favour..."

Yours,
Miranda.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 08:51:45 pm »

Judging by what the doctors have put you through your new design should include a first aid kit.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 12:15:34 am »

Sweet science it sounds like you've had a rough time of it, muchly glad you're making the best of it!

Plutus Sar
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 02:35:54 am »

Long ago I was a Deputy Sheriff in a rural area. One of my fellow Deputies had his left leg amputated just below the hip as a small child. He was so good at getting around that few people knew he had a fake leg - he even rode a motorcycle! His fake leg held a bit of a surprise for any criminal - he carried a .44 caliber revolver inside it as a hidden backup gun!

"The problem is not that I was born in the wrong time, but that I should have been born in a time which has never existed..."
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 11:43:47 am »

Well, now that that is documented....have them cover your entire bill.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2016, 02:23:16 am »

I am a FIRM believer in giving antibiotics and lots of them for a long time. I would not have my right leg if not for numerous daily injections of penicillin when I was a kid.

More recently I would not have recovered from lyme disease with out 14 weeks of antibiotic.

As a kid they did it routinely.  As an adult I had to convince the doctor to give me more than just a couple of weeks worth.

Antibiotic resistance comes not from using them, but from not using them long enough so that the bug is COMPLETELY killed.

Best of luck with your situation.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 02:19:07 am »

nail on the head, good sir.

a dead bacteria isn't going to become a resistant one.

I've been on at least 8 different antibiotics in the last 3 months, some of them completely kicked my arse.

I'm on a do-it-yourself IV drip at home for at least a few more weeks and this stuff leaves me worn out.

you would think they would make the picc line (the IV line in my arm) long enough that I could actually reach it with both hands and realistically be able to do it myself.

all these doctors practicing medicine... I need one who's actually DOING  medicine, professionally would be preferable. Wink

anyway, keep the ideas coming ladies and gentlemen!
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2016, 11:45:20 am »

Good afternoon,ladies and gentlemen.
A carved lion's leg?

Here goes a big hug from Spain.
I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 02:53:07 pm »

I'm suddenly reminded of Captain Fearless being fitted with a desk leg at the end of the film Carry On Jack.
Gerry Hunter
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 05:05:34 am »

I'd say the part that cups the calf done with art nouveau brass borders around wood veneer panels. All leading down to something like an octagonal tapered street lamps 'glass' portion where the eight metal corners are bars that connect from the cup to the base, which has a ball hing for something like a mechanical talon like foot -maybe swappable for a more practical foot or even a wheel- Run a achillies crankshaft with a spring for actuation of the foot up the back from the heel to the cup. Put something glowy inside the light portion, or a pickled monstrosity inside it. Or maybe even wind up clockwork.

Best wishes for a less eventful recovery.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 08:50:18 am »

The problem with antibiotics is that they have side effects, worse with extended use.  My feet are permanently numb from too much flagyl.  I didn't sue my doctor, but many people do...
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 03:45:12 pm »

I'm not a prosthetic maker, but I stayed at a best western once...

You are a strong individual for having gone through all this, hope you have a better recovery from here on out.

I'd advise making sure you are all healed up and see what the first actual prosthetic looks like, how it works.  There is some science to how they mount it and fasten it.  Form follows function is critical here, as chafing, coming loose, sore spots are a vital concern.

Also important to the design is weight, as added art adds weight.  So finding that sweet spot that lets you innovate is important.

I assume you'd study the prescribed prosthetic, and then build your own using measurements and coupling design patterns from it.

As such, you might consider the cup plus a narrow central shaft and then attaching piston, armatures, plates, etc that fill it out.  This may look cooler and more steampunky than a basic calf shaped shaft with steampunk elements grafted to it.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 04:41:13 am »

strong? hardly, I'm just stuck along for the ride...

yes, weight will be a strong determiner for any modding I do, but the surgeon told me to contact the prosthetic doctor and start the process. I suspect I will be driving their doctors and clinicians batty with all my questions.

tomorrow its the infectious disease doctor to get his opinion then Wednesday at the wound clinic for their vote. to tell the truth, I'm a bit scared of the nurse practitioner at the wound clinic but they're the ones who have been making all the headway on my healing, so they really have the deciding vote in my book.

another idea was a gator foot, should look good in my sandals.

sounds like a marx brothers joke... "I killed a gator in my sandals, the other day. how he got into my sandals, I'll never know!"
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 07:15:57 pm »

I killed a gator in my sandals, the other day. How he got into my sandals, I'll never know!

He must have believed they were Crocs.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2016, 11:17:13 am »

I killed a gator in my sandals, the other day. How he got into my sandals, I'll never know!

He must have believed they were Crocs.

Groan!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2016, 10:06:18 pm »

strong? hardly, I'm just stuck along for the ride...

well you have a good positive attitude.  I don't know if it's practiced or natural, but I truly hope it helps encourage others as well.

I imagine you'l be an expert on prosthetics by the time yours is ready.  That could open a whole new field for you.

Speedy recovery and good fortune to you.
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2016, 05:47:43 pm »

http://www.designboom.com/technology/3d-printed-exo-prosthetic-leg-customizable-12-23-2014/ Saw this. Thought of you.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2016, 11:27:54 pm »

Of course you'll need an assortment of prostheses appropriate to different occasions and applications so you may be assured of putting your best foot forward in any situation.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2016, 12:49:20 am »

Of course you'll need an assortment of prostheses appropriate to different occasions and applications so you may be assured of putting your best foot forward in any situation.

Learn from J. J. Armes' example:
the double amputee you can play with: J. J. ARMES
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2016, 06:33:57 am »

ooh the wireframe stuff looks great!

my problem is going to be a rather short gap to work with, the amputation is only the foot and the first 6 inches or so of ankle/leg. pretty much all of my calf is intact so far.

I'm thinking some sort of sleeve over the cup part and then an outer framework, with the center rod hidden more or less. perhaps a few well placed bolt heads and screw heads so that it looks actually bolted to the calf and some bodged together barbed wire running down to a salvaged animal foot, gator or raptor/avian in design. the skin where it's cut off could be hog ringed to the wireframe, and maybe even surround the center rod to make it look more like bone, even add a fibula.

gotta love that J.J. Armes advert, todays pc world wouldn't stand for it.

now if G.I. Joe came with prosthetics, I would buy one in a heartbeat!

anyways, I'm still weeks away of going to the prosthetics rehab and starting down that road. I just might go bat shit loony passing time until then, I'm sooooooc bored!
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2016, 08:41:29 am »

i Know what it's like to be Injured, So I Understand a Lot better than some. i Called myself a Famous General when i was in a Cast. i Called myself,"Napolean Blownapart" Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Don't let the Boredom Get to You, You've Shown me You have a Great Sense of humor so Far. I Really liked Your Marx Brothers Joke,Couldn't Stop Laughing! Stay Cool & May You Have a Speedy Recovery Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2016, 09:27:02 am »

Been down the very damaged road myself, being fortunate enough to retain my leg thanks to excellent surgeon/s. Close on 8 months non-weight bearing, easy to get bored but wouldn't let myself!

Twenty years ago tomorrow, actually! How time flies. The nephew I am travelling wasn't even born then!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2016, 03:24:17 pm »

I just might go bat shit loony passing time until then, I'm sooooooc bored!

Sorry that you're bored.  Glad that you're still around to be bored. The most I've ever been unable to walk was just a few weeks so you have my sympathy.  I kept busy writing several excruciatingly bad stories ...  May you continue to progress well.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2016, 04:22:09 pm »

gotta love that J.J. Armes advert, todays pc world wouldn't stand for it.

They might stand for it. Jay J. Armes is a real private investigator who became famous in the seventies for recovering Marlon Brando's kidnapped son. He lost both his hands in a childhood accident with a railroad torpedo, and ha actually had an array of prosthetics not dissimilar to the ones included with the action figure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_J._Armes
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:23:41 pm by RJBowman » Logged
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 12:52:36 am »

wow, mr. Armes sounds like quite the character. it would make for a good retro docudrama tv show.

quick Watson, the pilot episode!!! Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: