The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 10:04:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lemons to lemonade, or rather amputation to steampunk leg!  (Read 2671 times)
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« on: May 13, 2016, 12:07:21 am »

sitting here recovering from having my leg amputated, see3ms I got a superbug infection in my foot and it was either lose the foot or shuffle off this mortal toil. anywho, now2 I get to make a steampunk leg!

it will be weeks before I start the whole process of fitting a prosthesis so I have a long time for design and building it. we already made a knee style wooden leg to hobble on bu7 my nurse friend refuses to let me use it for fear of putting too much strain on the healing stump. never mind that ive fallen on it 5 times already and its starting to look like a grouper with a bloody lip.

I need to find a new hosting sight as my old host still lets me link pictures but has locked me out and my emails go unanswered.

until then any suggestions on a steampunk leg are more than welcome, just remember the part at the leg will probably original to the prosthesis and the leg ends mid calf, so t5her will be precious li8ttle leg and mostly ankle and foot. weight will be a concern too.

thanks all!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:37:13 am by Otto Von Pifka » Logged
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 01:24:34 am »

Work LEDs in that flash with every step like those shoes they used to have that flashed with every step.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 01:35:39 am »

Do you know yet what sort of prosthesis you will normally have to replace your lower leg ankle and foot?
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 02:57:07 am »

At least you have a good look towards things. Smiley

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 03:26:29 am »

no idea about the replacement leg. my mom lost her leg to poor circulation and they gave her two different legs, one was more leg like but very heavy and tired her out. the second was a cup with the metal rod down to a fake foot for her shoes. I assume the metal one was the cheaper to buy so I expect that's what the insurance will spring for. so anything I come up with would wrap around the metal and possibly replace the foot or at least cover the foot with something. the lights sound good, maybe if a line of lights ramped up and down with stepping, like some sort of tactile feedback.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 03:45:01 am »

A character in a Ray Bradbury story had a bird cage built into his prosthetic leg, but mid-calf-to-foot you probably wouldn't have enough room for such a thing, and a bird would not fair well being swung around when you walk. Maybe you can come up with something else interesting to build into the prosthetic. It needs something that can stand up to shock and angular forces.

I once read of a leg with a concealed pistol; sort of like Robocop.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 04:36:39 am »

maybe a hold out ray pistol, hidden conspicuously along the center pipe.

my sisters gave my moms old leg with a get well soon balloon tied to it, and a friend gave me the extra sock in his sock drawer.

we are an odd bunch.

lets see.....

woke up while delirious with swine flu, to a large purple rondel on the side of my foot.

it peeled off trying to put on a shoe to go to the hospital.

stuck going by ambulance to the worst hospital on the planet.

two days later there is a stripe of skin and flesh about as wide as case tape and as long as a dollar missing across the top of my foot, about 1/8 inch deep.

five days later its the width and length of a dollar and up to 1/4 inch deep, the tendons were completely exposed and the bone for the big toe visible.

all this time still sick with the flu.

two weeks later they send me to the rehab center proclaiming it stable and after a few weeks it will need some skin grafts and be good as new.

three days later its back to the hospital for a follow up with infectious disease because of a history of Cdiff and testing positive for mersa.

they take one look at it and send me down to the E.R... by ambulance.

I sit in front of the nurses station in the E.R. while dozens of sick people trundle by, gawking at my now exposed foot.

finally a doctor shows up and declares it unchanged since my discharge earlier. I question his judgement after pointing out I've never seen him before.

he takes a picture of the foot and sends it to the doctor who was supposed to be in charge of my case and they declare it ship shape and tells the nurses there's no need to admit me.

I lay there in limbo (still unbandaged ) until my sister shows up and takes me back to the rehab center.

the next day my sister dragged me to the good hospital right next to the rehab and a friend of a friend (an excellent podiatrist) who had it rescanned and then found a second infection inside the foot, and also pointed out...
1) the large vein on top of the foot was now gone and the other blood supplies compromised
2) the tendons discolored and essentially dead.
3) the bones exposed and dying.
4) virtually no chance of any skin graft ever working over exposed bone and rotting tendons.
5) the deeper infection was a bug that makes mersa look tame and the fact that it survived one of the two only antibiotics known to effect it (and growing stronger during the time wasted at the first hospital) it was not going to be beaten.
6) I was already deep in sepsis and probably had been for quite a while.

it was either lose the foot or die. that simple.

so now I'm making lemonade!

did I mention I got shingles in the hospital, a blood vessel in my good eye ruptured and I keep falling on the damn stump and splitting the wound open? judging by 5the bloody mess it makes, at least I got good blood flow now!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 06:30:27 am »

I'm glad you are alive to make lemonade but heavens man I am sorry you have so many lemons to cope with.
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:47:53 am »

Sounds like you have an entire orchard to make lemonade with!  Please do keep your spirits up.

If you have access to a 3D printer, pretty much the sky's the limit when it comes to design.

Found the above image here: http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150922-geomagic-freeform-software-gives-3d-printed-prosthetics-a-personal-touch.html but there are loads of prosthetics being personalized now using 3D printing. 
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 05:34:25 pm »

Have you heard of Viktoria Modesta? This video is slightly NSFW, but it's full of inspiration and triumph over adversity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA8inmHhx8c

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 11:04:52 pm »

Oh my goodness - I am humbled by your ability to talk so openly about this. I heartily wish you the most speedy recovery possible.

In terms of the prosthetic, I would suggest having a brass tube in the position of the Achilles tendon, inside of which is the mechanism from a vaping tube, with a microswitch or suchlike set up in the foot so that on every footfall a burst of vapor is emitted.

Yours,
Miranda.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 11:38:50 pm »

I do have one of those wizard stick vapor making devices, it might be a possibility.

as for the lemonade, I find it much easier for others if I roll into a public place laughing and kidding about it, instead of looking dour and grumpy (my usual visage)

I wish my sisters gave me the other leg, so at least I could work at mock-ups.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 12:10:31 am »

That is quite the horror story.  Glad you are still with us, even if your leg is not.  Hoping all is healing well  now. 

Multiple legs for different functions would seem the way to go.

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 03:24:18 am »

First of all, sorry to hear about this.  Have you considered a pirate-style peg leg?  Made out of a good quality wood (perhaps a fine figured curly maple or birdseye maple) & tricked out with brass accents (& lights plus other effects) but with a replaceable tip to account for wear & tear.  Something that is OBVIOUSLY a replacement leg & not a cover over a real leg.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 11:28:28 pm »

You could do a model/puppet caged creature.  Perhaps a vicious demon or a dangerous snake. Claim either that it took your leg or that it's the only reason you are alive and relatively intact.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 10:56:29 am »

My cat-feeding lady up the road had both hers amputated above the knee - happy as a pig in mud that she was still alive! Best attitude to have, after all, being dead lasts a long time.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 03:49:26 pm »

Just like to add my voice in praise of your courage in dreadful circumstances.
How about a concealed bottle of gin?  Or even a whole mini-bar!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 07:19:41 pm »

Indeed. Good to heat that you are not letting this slow you down.

How about a concealed bottle of gin?  Or even a whole mini-bar!

I like my Martini shaken, not stirred.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 02:06:04 am »

Oooo, mini bar......that would be perfect. I agree, I think you should have several versions.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 04:55:01 am »

Oooo, mini bar......that would be perfect. I agree, I think you should have several versions.

Why does this discussion remind me of St. Bernard rescue dogs?  Grin

St. Bernard makes a martini for himself after rescuing Yosemite Sam from an avalanche.

Alpine Climbers - Mickey Mouse in Living Color (1936)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:58:46 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
husbandofemily
Officer

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 08:54:57 am »

Wow, sorry to hear you're going through it - you've a fantastic attitude to it though, and that'll see you through I'm sure  Smiley
As for the prosthetic, you've probably already seen this, but I think it's brilliant...

http://youtu.be/n2-XPzEz6Bg

All the best.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 11:59:52 pm »

Very nice.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 05:12:20 pm »

Have you heard of Viktoria Modesta? This video is slightly NSFW, but it's full of inspiration and triumph over adversity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA8inmHhx8c

Hell, I'm not that graceful on two legs...

Oh my goodness - I am humbled by your ability to talk so openly about this. I heartily wish you the most speedy recovery possible.

In terms of the prosthetic, I would suggest having a brass tube in the position of the Achilles tendon, inside of which is the mechanism from a vaping tube, with a microswitch or suchlike set up in the foot so that on every footfall a burst of vapor is emitted.

Yours,
Miranda.

I like this idea. I was trying to think of how to suggest something like that based on the design for the Frankenstein Monster in Van Helsing, even 'though that was on his knee. This idea sounds like it could work.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 03:15:31 pm »

all very good ideas, depending how easily the fake foot can be detached, all sorts of possibilities.

I thought about some sort of bird or dinosaur foot borged onto the leg, mad science ftw.

old school piratey leg with steam embellishments is on my to do list  I have  nice piece of purple heart wood and cocobolo out in the garage, waiting for a project of some sort. and yes, I know both are fairly toxic woods and should be kept out of contact with exposed skin.

now I have even longer to consider it all, they had to go back into the amputated area and scrape out another staph infection. this after questioning the logic of no follow up antibiotics after the original amputation and multiple visits to the surgeon with complaints of what looked like to me, an infection. needless to say the rework was done by a new surgeon.

a month of fitful rehab and mending wasted completely, back to square one.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 05:33:13 pm »

I've heard doctors are becoming more restrained in use of antibiotics, not wanting to encourage the rise of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria, but your case sounds like they went overboard in that direction.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: