The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 07:32:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with starting workshop desk  (Read 538 times)
Hatter
Swab

United States United States

« on: May 12, 2016, 11:44:12 am »

Greetings everyone, let me start off saying that I am new to the DIY aspect of steampunk, and was wounding if any of you have any suggestions on a desk I could get to started with, as if right now I'm rather limited on my options

I could go to

office depot

Fry's electronics

Target

Or Fred myers (that is if they have desks at all, I think they do)
Your  suggestions are appreciated  Cheesy
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 05:48:48 pm »

Hello and welcome!

I would say it depends what you want to do.

I have made a few good solid workbenches from interior doors- yes, the thin ply over cardboard honeycomb cheapo ones- an idea I saw in a ham radio book.
They are light but remarkably strong*, and can be held up on trestles, legs or battens on opposing walls, and have lots of area.

They will hold a small vice, with care in mounting, but I don't recommend using them to beat out armour plating...  Grin. With a frame underneath though, they will support an ex-mil radio that weighs around 100lb...

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:25:33 pm »

Always worth checking goodwill and similar places first.

Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 09:09:39 pm »

Always worth checking goodwill and similar places first.

Not just for purpose built work benches either, a solidly built table or an old desk will make a good bench. Often you may be able to pick something up extremely cheap especially if it has missing veneer or deep scratches or something else which prevents it from being a nice piece of furniture.

An alternative worth baring in mind if you are after a standing bench is old kitchen units, there will usually be someone in your area getting a new kitchen a few cupboards for storage and a section of worktop will make a very solid bench top. You can always sit at it on a bar stool.

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 08:22:49 am »

An alternative worth baring in mind if you are after a standing bench is old kitchen units, there will usually be someone in your area getting a new kitchen a few cupboards for storage and a section of worktop will make a very solid bench top. You can always sit at it on a bar stool.

^^^^^   this!

I have used surplused kitchen base units to support surplused formica countertops as a workbench.
very strong, easy to mod as needed, relatively solder-resistant and easy to cleanup!

The old kitchen cabinets are a great starting point for any wooden  victorianish furniture project.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 08:08:58 pm »

^^^^^   this!

I have used surplused kitchen base units to support surplused formica countertops as a workbench.
very strong, easy to mod as needed, relatively solder-resistant and easy to cleanup!

The old kitchen cabinets are a great starting point for any wooden  victorianish furniture project.

yhs
prof marvel

On a similar note I use old bedroom units with a sheet of 1/4 ply on top!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 09:27:36 pm »

If you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore outlet nearby you might find most of the materials you need there.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 04:06:38 pm »

I have both an old desk (from a police station) and a run of 1960s kitchen cabinets - now if I can only get the clean-up man to finish cleaning out the workshop, I might be able to use them!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 09:35:58 pm »

...now if I can only get the clean-up man to finish cleaning out the workshop...

Tsk, tsk, tsk, saying such dirty things on a public forum!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 12:00:12 pm »

Well, it has taken 12 months to get to this stage, and the bloody fella goes off to Bermagui fishing!
Steamworkshop
Zeppelin Captain

Accurate reproductions of items that never existed

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 03:54:38 pm »

You can find metal filing cabinets (3 drawer) at goodwill or surplus stores. If you find two the same size they make a great base for a workbench. A piece of kitchen counter, a door or a thick piece pf plywood make a top.

If you just want to purchase something new, you can buy workbenches at the hardware store.
I was gifted a Kobalt workbench from Lowes and it's been very nice but a little light and noisy for heavy banging.  I use it for all my detail and electrical work with heavy work done on other benches. I replaced the crappy fiberboard top with a piece of oak plywood which overhangs on the front a few inches to make it easier to brush off. Here's a link to it. http://www.lowes.com/pd_484712-55738-3DPCWB2013___?productId=50109236&pl=1&Ntt=workbench#img

Here's a pic of it in my shop. It works well in a corner. As you can see, the bench will become what you make of it as you progress and find your direction.

Harbor freight also has a very nice workbench for cheap. I don't think you could build it for less money. I've seen them in the store and they're very well put together and heavy. Get a 20% coupon and you're just over $100.  If I just wanted to pay some money and have a nice workbench I'd go with that. http://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-69054.html

Steamworkshop
Zeppelin Captain

Accurate reproductions of items that never existed

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 04:21:00 pm »

This rolling cart from harbor freight (~$35) makes a great workstation for tools that aren't good to have on the work desk or need a lot of safe space around them. You can set it up and roll it off into a corner when you don't need it. At one point I had a power strip attached to it with tools plugged it. I could roll it out and plug in the power strip when I needed it and get it out of the way when I was done. I'm using it for my torch now so I don't have to clear a large fireproof section on my workbenches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: