The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 12:02:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nietzsche's Primitive Typewriter vs. Phrenologist's Psychograph  (Read 1167 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: May 11, 2016, 05:46:16 am »

I was reading an article about a word-processor type device and ran across a mention of the typewriter used by Friedrich Nietzsche; the Malling-Hansen Writing Ball:

Nietzsche, the article said, believed that the device used to put words to paper would influence the writing. This idea, and the reference to odd and primitive typewriters, made me think of the film "Naked Lunch", in which the William S. Burroughs character uses a variety of typewriters, and seem to also be of the opinion that the artifact alters the writer's art.

But the design of the odd typewriter made me think of another nineteenth century device; the psychograph, which the pseudoscience of phrenology believed could be used to analyze the subject's personality:

In compliment to Nietzsche's idea of the machine affecting the operation of the brain, this machine was supposed to be affected by the shape of the brain, to provide measurements by which the phrenologist could determine the operation of the brain.

And by a weird coincidence, the machines resemble each other in that both feature a dome supporting an array of pins that move back and forth relative to a central point.
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:29:55 am »

That Typewriter looks Similar to one I'd seen on a TV Show called "Auction Kings"! i saw a Similar Device Up for Auction and The Picture of The Typewriter Reminded me of that. BTW, the Auction House where it was Sold was Called Gallery 63 in Atlanta Ga. Usa.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:01:34 pm »

So a combination of these two devices could be used to rewrite someone's personality. Interesting.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:07:24 pm »

So a combination of these two devices could be used to rewrite someone's personality. Interesting.

Oh! May I steal borrow that idea?
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 05:43:53 am »

I seem to remember seeing Doc Brown using something like the psychograph on Marty McFly in the first Back to The Future movie.

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 03:38:06 pm »

I seem to remember seeing Doc Brown using something like the psychograph on Marty McFly in the first Back to The Future movie.

Is this your card...?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/bttf/images/b/b8/Mindreadingmachine.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20070614142245
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 10:21:55 pm »

I was reading an article about a word-processor type device and ran across a mention of the typewriter used by Friedrich Nietzsche; the Malling-Hansen Writing Ball:

Nietzsche, the article said, believed that the device used to put words to paper would influence the writing. This idea, and the reference to odd and primitive typewriters, made me think of the film "Naked Lunch", in which the William S. Burroughs character uses a variety of typewriters, and seem to also be of the opinion that the artifact alters the writer's art.

But the design of the odd typewriter made me think of another nineteenth century device; the psychograph, which the pseudoscience of phrenology believed could be used to analyze the subject's personality:

In compliment to Nietzsche's idea of the machine affecting the operation of the brain, this machine was supposed to be affected by the shape of the brain, to provide measurements by which the phrenologist could determine the operation of the brain.

And by a weird coincidence, the machines resemble each other in that both feature a dome supporting an array of pins that move back and forth relative to a central point.

I don't know if this was your intention,  but I think it'd be awesome to have a mechanical typewriter in that style,  over a hemispherical helmet full of vacuum tubes and gears,  which would be used to directly write LOVELACE 77 source code into the human brain. Perhaps as a brain washing or de-programming psychological device?

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 11:37:53 pm »

Come to think of it, I think that there was a movie called "Kafka" that depicts a device reminiscent of this being used to manipulate someone's brain. It's been a while and the memory is hazy, so I might have my movies mixed up.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 11:58:33 pm »

^Maybe you need that device? Shocked
 Cheesy

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: