The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 02:54:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Photos  (Read 682 times)
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 06, 2016, 07:12:24 pm »

Can someone please tell me how to post photos from Google Photos now. I have always used google photos since joining this forum and until 6months (ish) ago I hadn't had an issue with them. I am still using the same method (copy image address paste into the insert image function). Now when I do this I can see the image on the forum but no one else can.

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:39:54 pm »

I took a look at the last post you made, the "image" that you posted was not actually an image file - the link you posted in the image tags is some sort of Google internal data thing (probably relating to the page that you were viewing your image on). As a result unless we are all logged into your account, then we cannot see what you can.

Short answer:

Basically, if you have the image on your screen, just right-click on a photo and use the 'Copy image URL' option as the quickest way to post your images.

Longer answer:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope that helps, if not just ask.  Smiley

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 04:39:28 pm »

right click -> copy image URL.

And then verify that that URL is public, viewing it in a browser not logged in to that account.  I've been burned by a change in how google images worked where an image that should have been public under the old policy wasn't under the new.
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 04:00:05 pm »

I took a look at the last post you made, the "image" that you posted was not actually an image file - the link you posted in the image tags is some sort of Google internal data thing (probably relating to the page that you were viewing your image on). As a result unless we are all logged into your account, then we cannot see what you can.

Short answer:

Basically, if you have the image on your screen, just right-click on a photo and use the 'Copy image URL' option as the quickest way to post your images.

I get an option "copy image address" which gives me this

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mNHpPg3H2-UqQMHBOHjHm7fE24QTo1KDZD1oRXhZ6Ra4q1PL2JzAtrDBPop3qn6fdLZJQAuabU2nNaIZXG2gaOI_8ObJhYP_w1P4M6H5rOmzmPb34ZdBNqqV1zfdllzzDVClmorDGEvpXXSddfVP4cbK9QvpwijbJdQBuj-mqFuvfubTLFZfK07k-cyCaIPYJQNkdz9-fPRQzF0uXihfonVZElOUhFqGxLVXmCdNxD0koyBfmG2AoYgfMOvbAP0fwBPKd809flWgcwJoUJPLD-tPCXovtKXuOIIK-emaKyO-AdH_CoE--IYWOzqtf2HPZYQFBt25-cmmGsmWUTfNWDCQYBNQW1dtUMl4FQOtIWA7uPC20ebW2sUxx5X9co2n2xncLisI5v6YMQs93knfkcgJcN65vjT0ZJ1s5XWIT5I3n4O1XZ16obxV0O_QpdopD3A_tjIeiGtB9jcrr4W5979wIVe-kE4Wpp1BoHGsp_3eUE9XSsTlQJfu22DBAX-NdRK6QbUnvhFEwdkIzLIRN7SYGrC-A-espWlZH-6aUV2_I8nOtqsmZE7GM97pS6WCoDplw0jhblxAcqvYyJZHSnmJJzBSqh8=w1698-h955-no

I no longer see to have any way of getting the image to end with .jpg etc.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:33:44 am »

Hmmm - seems Google has changed something. Dunno....  Huh

Probably easier to google search for "free image host" and pick one that doesn't shove spam in your face in exchange for the service (or install ad-blocker etc.). Something like http://photobucket.com/ is pretty safe, and most of the time you can avoid the occasional video adverts and popups if you are quick enough to click "view your album" once your image has uploaded - works for me anyway...  Wink
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 02:09:09 am »

just trying something here.

What I did. I clicked on the image. It gives me a drop down screen with this image and a few others to the right. I clicked on the same image. Sent me to the original web site. Clicked on the image on that web site and it opened up in a new browser window. Right clicked on that image and selected 'copy image address'. Then clicked on the image icon on this form. Pasted the saved address and got good results.

different experiment. I went to Bing and did an image search. Clicked on an image I wanted. Bing expanded that image. I right clicked on the expanded image and chose 'copy image address. Then posted it the same way here,

Same results with less hoops to travel threw.

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 12:56:40 pm »

This a problem I believe Maets had a while back http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47308.0.html

If you do decide to migrate to photobucket a good adblocker prevents all the annoying videos and popups.

I try and have as little to with google as possible but picasa may be your solution. Undecided

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 02:17:00 am »

picasa does seem to still work for images in google.

selectedgrub
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 08:11:18 am »

Yes, it's days over the time they said gunna pull the plug.
I'm still uploading to it and using it on my blog.
I'm interested to see what becomes.

Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 05:31:04 pm »

Can anybody tell me a site that actually works for this style of image links, I've just spent ages moving stuff onto flickr only to find they are even more s**t than google!
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 12:27:29 am »

Unfortunately, a lot of the "Free" image hosts these days have soooooooo many restrictions.   Unfortunately, the most reliable option is to pay for a web host yourself.  However, I know most people can't afford this, so here's a list of a few hosts that from what I see provide a free hosting service without restrictions for forum posting (and that my virus checker likes rather than hates:

http://imgup.net/faq - An Austrian host that claims to give free hosting to any images that are not outside their requirements (see the link for details).

http://s5.photobucket.com/ - It's been online for ages, but is still a little glitchy.  Just make sure when you create an album that you make it "public", or no-one will be able to view the images that it gives you the forum links to (photobucket will give you a few forum links to copy and paste into your posts below each image - the one you're are looking for is the one that begins with "[IMG" Wink ).

http://tryimg.com/ - Offers free hosting to a max of 10MB per file (so 10Mp camera files should upload fine at optimal quality, but anything above that may struggle, depending on your camera / image).

http://www.techpowerup.org/upload.php - A quick and easy image host that does not (supposedly) limit traffic to your images.

That's enough for now I think, as I've got to hit the sack.  Hope this helps people Smiley

"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: