The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 09:43:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angry flask  (Read 735 times)
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« on: April 30, 2016, 08:05:01 pm »

Following from the posting by ravenson of some funky hipflasks made over in resin with embedded eyes, on a thread by our esteemed Mr West, in which I threatened to steal the idea, I realised that the stakes were raised, the challenge made and the tea in the pot getting cold.
I decided to press on, aware for the first time that I hadn't really posted much work in these pages in all this time...

This will not do.

Thus, I present, a flask.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Happily, I don't have a picture of the original, being a horribly corporate grey-leather British Airways hipflask, but I'm sure you can imagine...
Now it is adorned with flesh of silicone, having colours mixed in from artist's acrylic that it seems to take very well. It's greener in life than it looks here, and blends to purplish on the rear.

I'm letting it settle, but I reckon it could use a bit of discolouration on the eyeball and perhaps a touch of mummy dust...

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
selectedgrub
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 09:40:49 pm »

Love it.
Your imagination and execution of it is very inspiring.
Thank you
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 09:47:58 pm »

Thanks very much Mr -Grub,

I'm glad you like it- that means a lot to me  Cheesy

I have an idea coming up- I do have a spare eye...  Shocked

Ta!

HP
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 12:39:40 am »

This is a Superb bit of Work! I'm Surprised You have Done a Flask with a Flame Job on it.
spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 01:36:14 am »

Creepily perfect.
The conscience of a drinker... always watching... always judging.  Smiley

First pants... then shoes
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 10:48:04 am »

Creepily perfect.
The conscience of a drinker... always watching... always judging.  Smiley

Always looking out for the next round...  Grin

Thanks all for your kind reception to this. Now you have done it- there'll be no stopping me...  Wink

HP
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 11:26:43 am »

Well done. Don't stop now.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 01:37:22 pm »

I do like these flasks with eyes, lovely and creepy. It must be nice and tactile too.

I have to admit since seeing this post yesterday I've been trying to think how to make the eye move or blink. You can get really small electric motors from disposable vibrating toothbrushes; maybe build a false base to the flask to hide it and the battery? Then make the side with hollow channels to run a rubber band through as a drive belt. The trick would be to gear down the sped as those little motors rotate very quickly.

Yours,
Miranda.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 02:49:01 pm »

Thanks!
It does have a dead flesh rubbery feel to it...
I've been looking into things like this *, but have no 3d printer or experience of using one. Yet.
But making this has inspired me for a couple of other things I was either wondering what to do with, or how to proceed.
Now I know. Watch this space.  Cheesy

HP

* Edit:- Things work better when you include them in the post...  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:11:07 pm by Hektor Plasm » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:08 am »

I like it, good job sir,  very well done, I believe the ayes have it  Wink

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 01:22:28 am »

Here's looking at you!

Nice work.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 02:28:11 pm »

Inspiring others is half the reason for doing these things. Well done!

Have you considered trying liquid latex in some of your creations? When it dries it turns a lovely yellowish flesh like color.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:30:24 pm by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Ravenson
Officer

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 05:12:19 pm »

I love it..  I have thought about trying the silicone but have not gotten around to it..  I have been getting such nice results with the liquid neoprene.   So what type of silicone did you use and I can not tell did you add any fiber to it?     I am loving the texture you got... it somehow feels.....  fattly if that makes any sense.  Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures.  Smiley

Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 05:37:09 pm »

Inspiring others is half the reason for doing these things. Well done!

Have you considered trying liquid latex in some of your creations? When it dries it turns a lovely yellowish flesh like color.

Thanks very much! Smiley.

The hand (wot I dugged up)  is latex on tissue and cotton wool, on a skeleton of bamboo skewers and hot glue.
I can't recall if I was inspired by your good self or our Mr Propnomicon.

It all goes around, and as you say that is a good reason for doing things.

HP
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 05:43:20 pm »

I love it..  I have thought about trying the silicone but have not gotten around to it..  I have been getting such nice results with the liquid neoprene.   So what type of silicone did you use and I can not tell did you add any fiber to it?     I am loving the texture you got... it somehow feels.....  fattly if that makes any sense.  Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures.  Smiley

The silicone itself is the ordinary white bathroom/kitchen sealant, with nothing added except tiny spots of acrylic paint to colour it.
It goes on quite thinly when fresh, and I find you can drag it about and make it more gnarly as it starts to stiffen.
Nothing really sticks to it, except itself, so as a wash I tried diluting the coloured silicone with lighter fluid, and that seems to work well, and dries very quickly, so again as it starts to stiffen up, you can do things with the brush to get more textures.

It does look fatty, doesn't it?

I saw a photo of a crocodile's (I think) eye area today, and it was quite similar in texture; however, now I need some more eyes that aren't so human looking...  Smiley

HP
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 11:22:52 pm »

It judges you as you get drunk.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 06:24:22 pm »

It judges you as you get drunk.

When it gets two eyes, you've had enough! ( and it's empty...)

Grin

HP
Ravenson
Officer

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 07:04:33 pm »

Yea nothing really sticks to silicone except silicone.  So you can try painting with the same silicone thinned with Naphtha and pigmented with paint.  That is what they used to use to paint silicone masks..  I have also heard of people adding acrylic paint to "tube silicon"  but It speeds up the setting time a lot. If you try adding "stuff" to it for texture please make sure and let us know how it works.    One thing to remember when working with Silicone...  The three different types of silicone cure systems do not always play well together...  So it is best to test first..    I use mostly Smooth-on silicone anymore and they make sure and label the different cure systems.

montrehomme 50
Officer
France France

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 07:45:41 pm »

Great effect that, I use the eye in a lot of my pieces, I always find that they can be so expressive, and tell a story.
This one certainly looks out in judgement!.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 09:39:57 pm »

Great effect that, I use the eye in a lot of my pieces, I always find that they can be so expressive, and tell a story.
This one certainly looks out in judgement!.

Thanks- I do find your eyes very striking, so I'm happy to see (!) I'm on the right track!

I think this one might be done, as far as the 'flesh' is concerned, though I may give it a dust with talc to take the last of the shiny tack away.
I'm also toying with a slight yellowing to the eyeball, perhaps with some sort of thinned lacquer, or in the case of the Box, maybe shellac to give a crusty, rheumy look.

HP 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: