The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:21:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Trainsets  (Read 695 times)
steambonjed
Deck Hand
England England

« on: April 27, 2016, 02:17:09 pm »

Good day to you dear people.
 I wondered if you  would be so kind as to give me a little feed back please.
This is some of my concept art for a 3d printed steampunk trainset i'm developing. A printable version is near completion and with some luck will be on sale soon. It will fit onto a mid range locomotive set and is available in any gage.

A little about myself; I'm a lone parent dad who has spent a number of years stuck in the benefit system. I have just finished the GOV's NEA start a business scheme and fallen flat on me face. I have a few little contracts with some indie game developers  but i was planing on making a complete sci fi train set collection for 3d printing. steampunk, cyberpunk, post apocalypse, dystopian themes.

I spend most of my time with a 7yr old and need some input and feedback before i push forwards with this project. Any comments are welcome.

Never Trust An Atom, They Make Up Everything.
steambonjed
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 02:18:02 pm »

http://da-bonj.deviantart.com/art/Bigleon-605551049

*moderator edit - added image from link.  SS*
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:04:51 pm by Siliconous Skumins » Logged
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:54:54 pm »

Welcome to BG!

These look like a fine start, I particularly like the twin funnels.

Can you do yet another one that is more... massively overbearing and, well, Evil looking? I'm not sure why I ask, it's just that the first, darker one looks like it might have something mean and tenebrous somewhere in it's family somewhere...

(I think that means you have made an impression on me, or the things that people are saying behind me may be true.  Shocked  )

Anyway, please keep us updated, and good luck!

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 06:26:12 pm »

Indeed, those designs do look exceedingly fine. The make me think of the tokamak powered steamers described in the novel Desolation Road. Would, in the model, the large hemispheres be made to light up as in the images by LEDs?

All the best with your project,

Yours,
Miranda.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:17:44 pm »

Very nice images, I envy your ability.

steambonjed
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 09:50:07 pm »

Thank you for the warm welcome and encouraging kind feedback.
I have a few to finish in the double decker series, i was thinking of putting a tea room above the tender for the elegant version, maybe some harpoons...

I will have to render up some of my other concepts for you to see. I wonder what you will make of my fish tank backpack.

Some of my influences are from writers like Ian McDonald and Philip K Dick although i haven't read Desolation Road yet. It is now on the must read list Smiley

Thanks again for helping to keep me motivated with this project.
Any suggestions are welcome.

I have only been working in 3d myself for a few years. Mostly thanks to some great tutorials on youtube. Maybe i will make some tutorials for beginners and share some skills. 

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 09:55:27 pm »

Look what I found:

The Windsplitter streamlined steam locomotive from 1900. A streamlined train from before the deco era.
steambonjed
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 10:11:18 pm »

Look what I found:

The Windsplitter streamlined steam locomotive from 1900. A streamlined train from before the deco era.

Such an elegant yet streamlined shape, beautiful.  Looking at the wheels it would fit straight onto an extended hornby "Thomas" chassis.  Thanks for sharing, a rare find indeed.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 09:08:13 am »

My favourite is still the T1 class 4-4-4-4 of the Pensy Railroad.

The series version had open ladders at the front.

I prefer the prototype locos which were fully enclosed and had 3 "bulkheads" near the cylinders.

Due to the shape of their front end they were nichnamed as land-going submarines.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 12:53:37 pm »

Look what I found:

Such an elegant yet streamlined shape, beautiful.  Looking at the wheels it would fit straight onto an extended hornby "Thomas" chassis.  Thanks for sharing, a rare find indeed.

Hornby already do several of the Gresley A4 Pacifics, including this one

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: