The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 08:59:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling potential SP scooter pilots  (Read 1256 times)
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« on: April 27, 2016, 12:46:57 pm »

Calling potential SP Scooter Pilots!

I've bought a second hand Piaggio MP3 for building myself a Steam Punk scooter. My inspiration was Randy Grubbs Decopod series (Google deco pods). Thing is I've little experience with projects this big, though I do consider myself handy with tools. Is anyone interested in forming a group where we can exchange ideas and build ourselves a machine each though internet collaboration? (FYI I'm based in Brisbane if there are local members for hands on stuff)

Regards
Paul AKA Pilot
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:37:58 am »

This is the kind of thing I have in mind. These are DecoPods built by Randy Grubb.

So far I've got my doner bike and stripped the bodywork off. Not shown in this pic I have shortened and lowered the bars and will remove the upper frame from the arse end, the top box bit.

selectedgrub
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 07:58:35 am »

I have a long term motorbike project.
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 01:23:36 pm »

Tell me more Selectedgrub. What are you building on? Do you have a construction method planned out? Have you considered what design limitations your local Plod would consider street legal?

Paul
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 06:57:20 pm »

This is the kind of thing I have in mind. These are DecoPods built by Randy Grubb.

So far I've got my doner bike and stripped the bodywork off. Not shown in this pic I have shortened and lowered the bars and will remove the upper frame from the arse end, the top box bit.

Those are absolutely stunning, and must be the ultimate Dieselpunk accessory. All the best for your ongoing build.

Yours,
Miranda.
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 06:32:57 am »

Update.

I've sourced some rather fine and old silky oak. It used to be a head and foot board from a turn of the century (1900ish). You can see here where I've cut away much of the old top box, this is where I'm putting in a wooden deck. Mutley Dog is checking the dimensions. He has no wish to be cramped whilst traveling.

Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 04:49:55 am »

Your finished ride is going to be Fabulous.
Wirecase
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 06:30:39 am »

Okay, you caught my interest  Cheesy I'll be watching this build, nice!

To Steampunk or not to Steampunk, that's the question...
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 01:08:20 am »

Looking forward to watching this progress.

Steerpike
Officer

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 04:10:47 pm »

The "pods" are very nice-rather remniscent of the Messerschmitt "bubble" cars of the '50s.
One to watch!
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 06:04:08 pm »

I like these, so shiny and awesome.

Does the big one at the back belong to a Mr Gru?

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 11:09:45 am »

Yes HP, it's Randy Grubb's Decoliner. Search the term on YouTube for a good look. I've been a busy bee with my amateur build. I'll post a couple of new pics in a day or two.

Pilot
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 12:15:06 pm »

Here's a picture of the rear deck, assembled, disassembled, varnished, then reassembled. The oak has come up beautifully and the hammered effect paint I sprayed the hinges and a couple of plastic parts with seems to work. Later in the build I might have to recover the saddle in a more appropriate material. Maybe burgundy leather in a Chesterfield style. Next I plan to finish boxing in the stern and wire in done lights.

selectedgrub
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 07:08:24 pm »

Tell me more Selectedgrub. What are you building on? Do you have a construction method planned out? Have you considered what design limitations your local Plod would consider street legal?

Paul

Yes. It's an older HD based engine.
I have some guidelines on what is allowed and it has to be certified.
As long as the Engineer is happy he will cut all the red tape.
http://selectedgrub.blogspot.co.nz/p/bike-project.html

I have a thread buried on here somewhere but I've lost interest updating it.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 02:04:44 am »

I'll be watching, More popcorn, selected?
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 02:32:51 pm »

Wow Selectedgrub! That's one heck of a ride. I especially liked the fuel and oil tanks (once I'd figured out to open the pictures in seperate tabs, the format of your blog doesn't work well on my iPad). Also liked the little details like the dice. My ride is going to be a lot more humble, most parts will be the stock parts, engine, suspension, brakes etc made different with paint effects and coverings. Then again, I shouldn't need an engineers report to stay legal and hope it should be up and running in about a month. Thankyou for sharing your bike.

Pilot
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 02:41:41 pm »

Switch gear and handlebar shrouding dismantled and painted with beaten copper and beaten wrought iron effect paints respectively. Also four self tapping bolts which hold the saddle portion of the deck to the frame. Apologies for an upside down picture, I held my phone the wrong way up :-(

Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 05:09:17 am »

This box on the back is taking much longer than I thought. The lights are eBay items that I bolted together then painted. The oak strips making up the exterior sides are more bits of the bedhead, split then split again on the bandsaw. The white stripe above the lights is a bright led strip to maintain a street legal brake light. Anyone ideas on how to mod it?

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 12:36:12 pm »

Place a metal frame on top of it with metal filigree inside so the light shines through it. Also, can you place the directional lights at the back sides of the box?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 10:29:54 pm »

Thanks Drew, I'll give the filigree some thought. I can't really move the direction lamps though. You can't see from this angle but they're not plain teardrop. There's a stem which is attached to the main lamp body (they're cheap Chinese copies of old Harley style lamps).

Thanks for the input
Pilot
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 04:40:05 am »

Nice! What CC?
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 07:14:19 am »

LOVING the Vincent Stop light!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 12:32:14 am »

Interesting project. Very entertaining so far. I will be watching with interest.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 10:43:39 am »

Bines; 250cc. Fuel injected, liquid cooled, electronic engine management, antilock braking, hydraulic twin front wheel steering system, all the bells and whistles.... Just looked boring :-)

Drew P; here's how I interpreted your filigree idea. I had a flexible copper pipe, intended for fitting water supply to taps. I cut it in half lengthways and the used the bandsaw to cut slots in the side. Cleaned it up with a wire brush and shaped it a bit by using a soft hammer and a length of one inch pipe as a former. The. I fixed it over the strip lamp. Being raw copper I expect it should take on a reasonable patina over time.

Pilot

AltheBiker
Gunner

Vroommmmm

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 09:58:34 am »

Looks good to me, I reworked a bike into a steampunk bike a couple of years ago. I bought some old brass fire extinguishers and made then into slip-ons for the exhaust. Means the exhaust is still legal but looks quite good.
Fuel tanks from outboard motors also look great, even if you use them as dummies. Check out the "British Seagull" brand, covered in 'orrible marine paint but lovely shiny thick brass underneath.

Music and Toast in Darkness
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: