The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 25, 2017, 01:17:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum page loading issues  (Read 851 times)
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Be Good All! ;)

« on: April 22, 2016, 08:02:25 pm »

I've been having this issue since I joined Brass Goggles.  At first I thought it was my browser (Chrome) so I tried it with Edge (Windows 10) instead ... same problem.  So I tried my laptop and that had the same problem.  So I thought it was my internet connection, and tried viewing the forum from my in-law's internet connection - same problem.  I even tried linking my PC & laptop to my phone's 3G / 4G connection (depending on where I was) - same problem.  I do not get this problem on any other website.

What's the problem?

Basically, nothing to start with - every page loads fine until a few minutes have passed.  Then pages start to take a while to load, but do eventually load.  Finally, I try to load a page, and it either shows the loading animation in the browser, but "finishes" - still showing the same page I clicked the link on (though now I can't click on anything, it's like the page has become an image instead) ... OR ... I am presented with a blank (white) web page with absolutely nothing in it.

Reloading the page normally sorts things out initially, but unfortunately the problem seems to get worse over time.  After about 15 minutes of initially starting to view the forum, I get a blank white page on clicking a link, which then results in an error from the browser after a minute or so saying that the page is not responding.  After about 30 minutes, Chrome starts to require me to refresh the page several times to make it load, and occasionally it "freezes" (with "not responding" appearing in the window title) - and if I'm streaming music in another tab - it too freezes.  If I leave it for a minute or so, everything will start working again (though I may have to hit "refresh" a few times to get the BG page to load).

Anyone else had this problem?  If so can you state what OS and browser/s you are using so that we can see if there is a pattern (I wouldn't be surprised if it's something to do with Windoze 10!)

"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 06:37:10 am »

Let's see if Mr. Skummins has an opinion on that one.  I've been here since 2009 (?) and I've never heard anyone complain about that specific issue. There are times when loading is very slow, but it tends to happen to people in whole geographical regions.  But blanking out and not loading is unusual. Generally I attribute that to a browser's cache getting completely full, OR, a Java subroutine going wild (Java became a serious security breach not so long ago before Java 7), OR, the browser somehow exhausting all the RAM of the computer (e.g.  bug; certain websites will trigger that situation on Mozilla Firefox, and that seems to be a known bug that has never been fixed, with Chrome and others doing much better on the same website).

Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 03:21:31 am »

Interesting.  I use the Chrome web browser for all my internet browsing, mainly as I have it linked to my Android account for syncing bookmarks.  I have Microsoft's Edge browser installed on my computers, and I have Firefox on my laptop (for testing web pages I make from time to time).  Regarding Java, I'm currently running the latest version of Java 8 (updated only a week or so ago), with auto-updates enabled.

How about my virus checker?  I currently use Trend Micro Maximum Security on all of my devices (except my phone), and it does have browser plug-ins - could this possibly be the culprit?

To add a bit more detail, My desktop system has the following specs:
- AMD FX 8350 (8 core) CPU running at 4GHz;
- ASRock 990FX Killer Motherboard;
- MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics card;
- 16GB RAM;
- Windows 10 Home OS (64-bit).
NOTE: The CPU, RAM, Motherboard and Graphics card were upgraded about 4 months ago, which required a fresh install of Windows 10 (rather than the previous "upgrade" install I had on the old hardware).

My laptop has a much lower spec (Mrs is borrowing it right now, so can't give a detailed spec):
- AMD A8 series (4-core) APU (I think it's around 2.2 or 2.8 GHz);
- 4GB RAM;

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, or would like me to try something, just let me know as I'd love to sort this issue out, as it gets really annoying after a while.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:05:47 pm »

It sounds like a software or config problem with win 10, that's not normal behavior for a bad network / internet connection or web server issue.

I see you are running 64bit versions of 10 - I have heard grumblings of various issues when using 64bit version of that OS, mostly seems to be a combination of software compatibility and driver issues. Unfortunately I cant be more specific as I don't use win 10... Undecided  However, I do know there have been many early reports of issues with Google's browser, generally involving slow loading speeds and lags in streaming. It may be that the 64bit win 10 still has further problems that need to be addressed in the updates... Undecided

All I can confirm, is that there are no unusual probems on the BG server side of things (far as I can tell).

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 12:33:14 am »

Interesting.  I use the Chrome web browser for all my internet browsing, mainly as I have it linked to my Android account for syncing bookmarks.  I have Microsoft's Edge browser installed on my computers, and I have Firefox on my laptop (for testing web pages I make from time to time).  Regarding Java, I'm currently running the latest version of Java 8 (updated only a week or so ago), with auto-updates enabled.

How about my virus checker?  I currently use Trend Micro Maximum Security on all of my devices (except my phone), and it does have browser plug-ins - could this possibly be the culprit?

To add a bit more detail, My desktop system has the following specs:
- AMD FX 8350 (8 core) CPU running at 4GHz;
- ASRock 990FX Killer Motherboard;
- MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics card;
- 16GB RAM;
NOTE: The CPU, RAM, Motherboard and Graphics card were upgraded about 4 months ago, which required a fresh install of Windows 10 (rather than the previous "upgrade" install I had on the old hardware).

My laptop has a much lower spec (Mrs is borrowing it right now, so can't give a detailed spec):
- AMD A8 series (4-core) APU (I think it's around 2.2 or 2.8 GHz);
- 4GB RAM;

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, or would like me to try something, just let me know as I'd love to sort this issue out, as it gets really annoying after a while.

Sounds like a nice computer.  I'm also an  AMD guy.  I'll probably upgrade my "Timekeeper computer" to that soon enough. I just need to get the cash.  I'm running an old dual core Athlon 64 at 2.4 GHz on an AM3+ Gigabyte platform  Grin Not being a gamer,  I never had the need to upgrade.  Grin
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 05:54:41 pm »

I see you are running 64bit versions of 10 - I have heard grumblings of various issues when using 64bit version of that OS, mostly seems to be a combination of software compatibility and driver issues. Unfortunately I cant be more specific as I don't use win 10... Undecided  However, I do know there have been many early reports of issues with Google's browser, generally involving slow loading speeds and lags in streaming. It may be that the 64bit win 10 still has further problems that need to be addressed in the updates... Undecided
This is what I find weird about it all - as the problem ONLY occurs on BG, and not any of the other forums / websites I frequent on a regular basis.  I guess I'm going to have to just put up with it for now. Roll Eyes

Sounds like a nice computer.  I'm also an  AMD guy.  I'll probably upgrade my "Timekeeper computer" to that soon enough. I just need to get the cash.  I'm running an old dual core Athlon 64 at 2.4 GHz on an AM3+ Gigabyte platform  Grin Not being a gamer,  I never had the need to upgrade.  Grin
It cost me about £500 to buy all the parts ... and then I needed to upgrade my power supply too, as I didn't have enough connections to run the GFX card.  Luckily a guy at work had upgraded his Super-Duper gaming PC, and had a spare power supply that was suitable for me and only 9 months old, which I bought for £30 ... but new it's around £100, so you could say it's £600 for the "full" upgrade (minus RAM, as I upgraded that on my old system first).  On the AMD subject ... I've been AMD since my first PC, and all my PC's now are AMD (Desktop, Laptop and Netbook), with the exception of my Linx 8" Windows 10 tablet, which was bought to trial a few PC projects I've got on the go for mobile Windows platforms (mostly work-related stuff).
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 11:41:25 pm »

Just as a side note to this subject, I've just had to do a full Windows 10 reinstall from scratch AGAIN (DON'T ask why!).  The page loading problem still persists (I keep having to hit the cancel button and refresh button again and again to get some pages to load).

The weird thing is, that once I've gone into a thread section of the forum, it'll load fine all the time ... but if I change to a different section of the forum, I have to do the "Cancel, reload, cancel, relaod, etc" again and again (giving it 30 seconds or more between each button press) just to get the page to load.  If I had the IP address of the forum server I could run a script to check the response time from it when it starts playing up (I'll happily send the batch file I intend to use to admin staff if you are worried about security issues) ... unless you have a built in test node?
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 09:57:04 pm »

Update:

I've now sussed out that it's something to do with Windows 10 and streaming music, as I've had a bit of a browse around using my Android tablet, and not had any issues at all (whilst streaming music from the tablet).  Yet, at the same time I've tried the same links via my PC and it loads a blank page if going into another section of the forum almost every time (and the rest of the time, it only part-load's the page).  I have also tried browsing BG without streaming music, which gives much better results, but I still get the occasional blank / part loaded page on the PC, and no problems at all on the tablet.

The one problem I'm still getting is blank spaces where members have posted images in their posts.  To view them I have to highlight the space where the image should be, and then right click and select "open in a new tab" (Google browser) - then it opens a new tab with the image in it ... I don't get why this works, and that the image doesn't display on the page it was linked to in the first place.  It seems to be tied to a few domain URL's, but each time I think I've found a faulty one, I open a post that contains images I can see from the same domain.  I think this could potentially be another Windows 10 bug in using the Google web browser.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: