The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 03:43:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YET *EVEN* MORE things that made you happy today!  (Read 11810 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #350 on: September 28, 2017, 10:36:55 am »

my Jules verne omnibus arrived Cheesy
it's leather bound and pretty

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #351 on: October 06, 2017, 03:47:42 am »

My Infectious Disease Doc says my latest PSA test came back with a reading of below acceptable level (meaning no more infection or blood infection)! My last infusion will be tomorrow, at which time my inline port (catheter) will be removed!

(Warning, sobering thought alert) Now, to wait for the inevitable (ineffable?) bills...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #352 on: October 06, 2017, 08:11:19 am »

My Infectious Disease Doc says my latest PSA test came back with a reading of below acceptable level (meaning no more infection or blood infection)! My last infusion will be tomorrow, at which time my inline port (catheter) will be removed!

(Warning, sobering thought alert) Now, to wait for the inevitable (ineffable?) bills...

You can always rob a bank. Just let me know if you need a driver for the getaway vehicle.

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #353 on: October 07, 2017, 07:06:45 am »

I spent yesterday stopping a young artist from giving up on a project and by the 6pm deadline we had made an interactive robot that you can have a conversation with.
Despair should be fought if at all possible.

And folks who remember my love of Mr. Stanshall and the Bonzos will understand my delight that it was called Vivian.  Grin

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #354 on: October 07, 2017, 06:11:36 pm »

After being a member of the supporting society for the last.... three years or so, and contributing to the extension fund regularly for the last four years or so, and being a member of a new build project based at the northern extremity of it for the last 18 months, and donating to a preservation group also based there for the last three or four months.....

After all of that, I finally got around to making the effort to actually visit the preserved railway I support.  A really, really good day out.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #355 on: November 02, 2017, 01:07:08 am »

Well, not specifically TODAY, but over the past little while (since I've been gone a long time).

Daughter was accepted at the local dancing academy.  They're one of the most prestigious in the country, apparently.  She's also quite skilled at fencing, and her instructor says that if we switch her from group to private lessons (way more expensive, though), she would be a "Force to be reckoned with" by 14 (i.e. Olympic Team Level of skill).

I now own every single Fallout Game released for PC. 

I'm getting proper mental health treatment (something I've needed for 15+ years).

Wife's credit score is epic.  We're looking to get a home loan soon.  Yes, it's for a manufactured house, but dude, as someone who spent most of their life WIRING those up (when I was in the US--and to avoid confusion for members that DON'T know me, I AM in the US right now--I haven't lived in Sudan for a while--but it's home, even IF it's the root of 90% of my mental issues), they're friggin' NICE now.  REAL plywood floors, ACTUAL sheetrock walls, deep pile carpets, proper GFCI outlets.  Dude, I can't even.  They're damn nice.

Plus, my job is grading and concrete.  I can dig the damn foundations my own self!

I made an RP forum for my D&D group (sorry folks, it's private), and have been building and dealing with THAT.

So yeah, not all is bad in the Land of Xenos.

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #356 on: November 02, 2017, 11:48:01 am »

Xenos, so glad for you and your family!
Keep on digging!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #357 on: November 02, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »

Congratulations Xenos! One can always get satisfaction from knowing that the important things in life are improving.

Plus, my job is grading and concrete.  I can dig the damn foundations my own self!
It's nice to build your own stuff, eh? As a civil engineer, who enjoyed a permanent construction permit in Mexico, my grandfather built his own houses. Of course it also means that construction will be a "lifelong" process for the house. But there's a great deal of freedom in doing things the way you like when you want to do it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:59:07 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #358 on: November 03, 2017, 12:28:58 am »

Ahh, the joy of hanging a picture on your own wall... All the years we spent in mining towns not owning a house. Blah! And you should see the garden at the moment! All that manure shovelling is paying off big-time!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #359 on: November 03, 2017, 10:26:39 am »

Electrical engineer here.
Bought this house in 2009.
Built 1955, extended 1974.
Ripped the complete wiring out and re-did it.
Feels good to know every single wire and know that the whole thing is safe.

There were cloth-coated wires, aluminium wires, a thin wire 0.75 feeding six (!) rooms and many more things you do not want.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #360 on: November 03, 2017, 12:14:55 pm »

Ahh, the joy of hanging a picture on your own wall... All the years we spent in mining towns not owning a house. Blah! And you should see the garden at the moment! All that manure shovelling is paying off big-time!

The joys of hanging one of your own pictures on your own wall in your own (very first) house!!
Congratulations, Synistor!
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #361 on: November 03, 2017, 12:38:06 pm »

There were cloth-coated wires, aluminium wires, a thin wire 0.75 feeding six (!) rooms and many more things you do not want.

25 years of electrical apprenticeship under my belt (15 legally, 10 before I was working age because family business--not illegal, but can't count as primary hours), I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. The house my wife and I used to live in...

*shudders* I saw safer wiring in Africa.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #362 on: November 03, 2017, 08:15:45 pm »

25 years of electrical apprenticeship under my belt (15 legally, 10 before I was working age because family business--not illegal, but can't count as primary hours), I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. The house my wife and I used to live in...

You know you're in trouble when you flip a switch to turn off one light, and then another light turns on but dimly  Grin I saw that happen in my house in Mexico City once  Grin To date, I can't figure out how that happened  Grin
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #363 on: November 03, 2017, 08:28:06 pm »

You know you're in trouble when you flip a switch to turn off one light, and then another light turns on but dimly  Grin I saw that happen in my house in Mexico City once  Grin To date, I can't figure out how that happened  Grin

Something to do with an overloaded neutral, I'd wager. Basically the neutral went hot somehow.

That's one I'll have to experiment with, I've never had that issue. But yeah, that's a neutral problem ten to one.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #364 on: November 04, 2017, 01:48:47 am »

My Good Xenos -
good to see you again; glad to see things are going well;
good luck on the new house!

Re: Manufactured Houses
I agree ! the "old days" of single wide trailers is pretty much behind us, unless specifically desired, and
todays "manufactured homes" are often better than stick-built. The carpenters, plumbers,  and electricans get to work
inside a warehouse, lumber is already cut to exact size, and the work is staged between the trades in a manner that
allows correct processes and prcedures to be followed! No more waiting because one trade isn't there, or cann't get
access... no more plumbers chopping huge chunks out of load bearing lumber,  proper customizable wiring
easily laid out (with M/F plugs between walls! ) and  insulation being laid (or sprayed)  in correctly!

good luck, glad you're not in Sudan (troubling times)  !

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #365 on: November 04, 2017, 10:27:14 am »

Xenos:

Best (or WORST) story in this house.
Stage #1 of re-wiring after the new main cabinet was installed was dividing the cellar wiring into sections (one for each room, three for the workshop, three-phase outlet for the workshop, separate circuits for washing machine and freezer,...)
In the laundry room there was a lamp that was also used as a junction box to feed phase further on. I tracked the wire leaving it to the adjacent storage room. Thought "well, if that room does not have power for a few days nothing is lost" and cut the wire.
Five minutes later SWMBO entered the room with that look and that question "what have you done?". Answer: "nothing dear, why?"
"The whole southern wing is without power."

OOPS!.

Solution to the puzzle:
That lamp gave phase and neutral to the storage room.
(From here on all wires were inside the walls, so not visible)

In one corner of the storage room a junction box sat at the top of the wall, near the ceiling. Upon openiing it I found it had 0.75mm^2 wires going through the ceiling, feeding the room above. Way too thin to feed one rom, let alone more.

That room in turn was not wired according to the rules either (wires running diagonally inside the walls). The last outlet of that room had a wire running into the wall, feeding the next room.

In that room there was speaker wire running into the ceiling. Inside the ceiling there was 1.5mm^2 wire running to the opposite wall and then speaker wire to the next outlet. Somewhere in the middle there was another junction box with one wire going to the attic.

From the last junction box up there a wire was running directly under the roof tiles into the conservatory.

Now each room has an own fuse and a proper 2.5mm^2 cable leading to it. Regulations only require 1.5mm^2 at less than 12 metres away from the fuse cabinet but the price difference was negligible and a bit of reserve is never wrong.

I also found several still live cables ending just in a hole in the wall only covered by the wallpaper. No tape or insulation, just the blank ends.

Being electrical engineer I took the big (3-row) "luxury cabinet in the cellar and a single row one in the ground floor.
Overvoltage protection for Power and comms lines, RCDs wherever necessary....

The garage on the other end of the house was a similar story. It now also has a three-phase outlet just in case I ever need one.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #366 on: November 12, 2017, 03:18:34 pm »

Received a whole lot of fullsize steam loco parts.

The signs still need a good clean.
I made a holder for the pressure gauges and put them up today:

The big one is for the boiler pressure and has about 15 cm diameter.
I gave them a rough cleanup but wanted to keep the patina so all I did was to remove the dust.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #367 on: November 12, 2017, 05:30:52 pm »

Yesterday; took my car for it's first proper long run of the year (yeah, yeah, I know it's November....)

120 or so miles, about 3/4 of those miles at motorway speeds (60-70mph).  Never.  Skipped.  A.  Beat. 

Not bad for a car coming up on 46 years old. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: