The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 03:16:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need drawing advice  (Read 658 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« on: April 16, 2016, 02:12:15 pm »

how do I make this guy look more mysterious?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 06:53:36 pm »

Small, very dark, rectangular glasses?

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 08:12:57 pm »

Bring the upper eyelids down a bit but not so much that he looks sleepy.

Bring the lower eyelids up a small amount and put a bit of shade under the eyes.

Bring down the corners of the mouth to a neutral, not smiling and not frowning, shape.  It's currently smiling.

Put the inner corner of the eyebrows in a bit and down a bit.  This should give a look of intensity without going all the way into frown.

A stronger jaw a little lower than you have it will make him look more mature but I don't know if that is the effect you want.

A book on theatrical makeup showing different characters created by adjusting the appearance of the actors faces would be useful for you to work out appearances. See what your local library has.  Stage Makeup by Richard Corson is one that I like.
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:30:58 pm »

Color. Shadows. Maybe fewer freckles. Hard to look saturnine and mysterious with freckles...

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 10:06:48 am »

Is that better?
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 04:00:46 pm »

I think he looks more mysterious now.  The more you draw him the more you will refine the character details.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 04:52:09 pm »

Those ears ... abused by the orphanage growing up?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 05:39:35 pm »

Those ears ... abused by the orphanage growing up?
They are completely natural and rotate in all directions. The great kilt hides his wings.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 12:10:15 am »

I think the ears might be what, along with his smile, contributes to a rather relaxed and easygoing appearance rather than a focused or mysterious one.

If the ears are mobile and expressive, think about what they're signalling. To me it currently carries overtones of the relaxed horse, ears and half mast and not particularly focused on any one thing, though the latter image is certainly better in terms of expression.

Giving the character an environment would also help, for instance an expression of moody mystery might work amid a dark and foreboding moor, yet look out of place in a brightly lit supermarket queue, or maybe not!

An environment will also give you lighting, colour and all sorts. Unfortunately mysterious is more of an action than an expression, which may be why it's hard to pin down an abstract line drawing.

I'd also heartily recommend taking a look at the character and expression sheets for the Blacksad graphic novels (or if you haven't, just buy them or at least the first, they're great). Juanjo Guarnido's artwork really gets across the emotions of the characters.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 07:29:51 pm »

You might alter the ears slightly; maybe more upward and swept back and closer to the sides of his head. More Spock and less Pikachu.
Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 02:50:36 pm »

Agree with points thus far.  the ears need to signal emotion/intensity.  Look at upsticky eared dogs.  they are up when alert.  Folded back when zooming fast or scared.

if not for the ears being in the way, I'd say a dark hood or something, that shadows the face would add mystery.  I think the key part is shadow, there isn't any yet on this non-mystery fellow.  When you can only see half his face, you you have an air of mystery.  So imagine him standing in the shade of a tree or something, and you can only see part of his face while he observes an event/person.

And he's still smiling.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 03:59:21 pm »

I coloured the first version.
the red hair and green eyes are a theme he shares with a small group of others

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and a minor update on the second
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:10:18 pm by Caledonian » Logged
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 08:42:30 pm »

You could go for Auburn rather than Ginger, Auburn can take black shadows better. It can also be effective to use two colours in the iris of the eye, emphasising mood by which colour is most dominant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: