The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 11:38:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Use Some Advice:Planning a Steampunk Project  (Read 686 times)
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« on: April 14, 2016, 06:10:09 am »

Hey There Folks,i Recently Came Up with an Idea and Could Use Some Advice. I'm Planning to Build a Steampunk Land Leviathan & Am Unsure if i Should use a Warship or a Submarine Hull as the Basis and Wether i Should Kitbash or Scratchbuild the Vessel?  I'm Thinking about Building because i Got Inspired by some Books i Read and Thinking about WW1 Tanks,etc.  What Do You Folks think? Thanks For Looking.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 07:00:09 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
How many metres long are you thinking for the finished project?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:51:55 am »

I'm Not Sure by Metric Standards, but i was Thinking about Build @ 1/700 Scale or so. i was Alos Considering if di a Sub, to Add some Gun Turrets and Other Nasty Stuff to Cause an Enemy to Have Change Their Underwear Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:31:12 pm »

I'm Not Sure by Metric Standards, but i was Thinking about Build @ 1/700 Scale or so. i was Alos Considering if di a Sub, to Add some Gun Turrets and Other Nasty Stuff to Cause an Enemy to Have Change Their Underwear Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Whatever it may turn out to be, it does need at least one ridiculously humungous gun, possibly something much wider in bore than it is long, or equally odd...

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 03:38:12 pm »

Watching to see what you come up with.  Lots of possibilities. 

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 10:50:24 pm »

Following
Fizzylicious
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 10:22:36 am »

Sounds promising. Walker or tracked/wheeled? Is the vehicle intended for land only or is it amphibic?

As to what to use, both have their charms I think: A submarine has a bit more of a predatorial animal look to it, on the other hand the superstructure of a battleship has a lot more dramatic nooks and crannies for gizmos. Of course you could combine them, sleek otherworldly mena of the sub but with the superstructure of a battleship.

Or maybe.. how about a land-dwelling aircraft carrier? I'd love to see that Smiley

Anyway, best of luck! Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Kind regards,
-Fizzy-
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 10:35:14 am »

Thanks. i was Thinking Tracked, Wheeled would be an RPIA trying to get Enough Wheels for it. I'm Considering Maybe using a Russian Sub Model as the Body of the Land Leviathan. Will Keep Everyone in the Loop as Much as Possible.
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 07:37:09 pm »

Sounds like a pretty cool plan so far.  I find trapezium shaped tracks always give a "Heavy duty" look to a large vehicle (not the upside down trapezium that everyday tank tracks are shaped like).  A track set-up like this (but upside down and able to hinge up and down) could look pretty cool if you plan on using a set of three or four tracks around the submarine's hull.  However, making tracks is going to be a lot harder than getting / making wheels - as they basically have a lot of wheel hubs within them.

I used to love model making and painting (both kit's and custom stuff), but due to a bad eye I just can't do the detailed work anymore (depth perception is a little messed up) - so I work with bigger stuff now (but less often).

I'll be interested to see how this pans out Smiley
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:47:51 pm by Dr.B.Goodall » Logged

"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 07:46:41 pm »

That was Interesting & a Help. I Might Consider making it a Walker, and i Don't mean Texas Ranger Cheesy Will See how things go First.
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 07:50:31 pm »

I'm starting to build an image in my head of a 6 or 8 legged submarine, with one hell of a cannon on the top (plus lots of smaller, very nasty extra's too) Smiley

This is going to be interesting Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: