The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:59:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk/Zombies Japanese style: Koutetsujou no Kabaneri  (Read 1373 times)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:13 pm »

So it's finally started broadcasting, the Steampunk Zombie style series set in Japan.
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri - Official Trailer (2016) HD

(Advert)

http://bestanimes.tv/koutetsujou-no-kabaneri-episode-1/

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 02:47:30 am »

Looks awesome. Let us know when it's available either dubbed or subtitled.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:16:49 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
It's available on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24uPaoAWGRQ

Subtitled in Spanish

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 05:15:28 pm »

It has been available with US subtitles since it came out.
Please visit any good anime website to watch.
7 episodes in and still looking good.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 06:20:53 am »

Seven? I've only seen through six.

I'm quite enjoying the series!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 01:13:40 pm »

Seven? I've only seen through six.

I'm quite enjoying the series!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Episode 7 went online yesterday (friday gmt)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 02:16:08 am »

Absolutely loving it so far.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 10:36:16 pm »

So it's finally started broadcasting, the Steampunk Zombie style series set in Japan.
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri - Official Trailer (2016) HD
(Advert)

http://bestanimes.tv/koutetsujou-no-kabaneri-episode-1/

It almost looks like Seraph_of_the_End combined with Steamboy. I'll have a look at  it at Go Go Anime...  They have chapters subtitled in English.

Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 09:37:37 am »

A seventh episode?
Fabulous!
I'll watch with my breakfast this morning.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 08:00:37 pm »

Episode 8 now online
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 07:34:32 am »

Hmmm...Shades of Steam and Sand. Kind of....
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 10:26:53 pm »

Hmmm...Shades of Steam and Sand. Kind of....

Googled that title, and all I get are sandblasting businesses. You have an author, director...?
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 10:30:12 pm »

I've finally started watching this, and am enjoying it quite a bit. However, I'm going to have to buy the DVD when it comes out with English dubbing, just because I'm missing a lot of the visuals reading the subtitles. I really like how this looks, so far.

(And yes, I know that subtitles are frequently better than the dubs, but again, I want to see the artwork.)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 09:01:54 pm »

Episode 9 is live!

Yeh I have that trouble with subbies but have learn't how to read and watch.
My Japanese language improves everyday because sometimes I don't even have to read the subs.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 12:38:52 am »

Episode 9 is live!

Yeh I have that trouble with subbies but have learn't how to read and watch.
My Japanese language improves everyday because sometimes I don't even have to read the subs.

The only Japanese I understand is "Hai!"

After watching this latest episode...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 11:05:47 am »

Considering she just realised what a bad man (edited for forum software) Justin is, I'm sure that it will happen.
I just want to know what is so special about the blue heart.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 07:02:55 am »

I've just watched episode 8 and I'm enjoying very much.

This is the first ánime I've ever watched wanted to ask: how does this compare with others, like Shingeki no Kyojin, which I've been told is a must-see?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 10:39:05 am »

I've just watched episode 8 and I'm enjoying very much.

This is the first ánime I've ever watched wanted to ask: how does this compare with others, like Shingeki no Kyojin, which I've been told is a must-see?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

I dropped from being serious on the Anime scene many years ago,when I entered Graduate School, and just kept up over the years with some shows when enough people told me "Dude, you gotta watch this!" So I'm not an expert, and probably younger folk like Mr. Percell have a leg up on me, at least on the latest titles. However, I am an old dog, and so I have seen a lot of Anime, so I have some knowledge on the subject, and I offer some suggestions and criticism below, my lady.

Normally, I hate zombie stories in general, but the quality of animation for Kabaneri of the Fortress is very high, among the highest, and I'm enjoying the visuals. In terms of animation it's very high, better than others with very high production values which I have seen years ago, like Last Exile (2003), an aeronautical Diesel/Steampunk story on an artificial planet where remnants of humanity survive in the far future, and Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995), a Christian Apocalypse-based Sci-Fi story in the early 21st C.

Now, I see way too many Kimonos in Kabaneri, and no Western attire at all, with some pre-Industrial Revolution muskets. So did they seem to have chosen the Edo period?? That's interesting, in that they chose to concentrate on Samurai culture while mixing in the zombie story and locomotives without showing any Meiji uniforms/weaponry (remember the Samurai as a ruling class was terminated by Emperor Meiji).

Normally the choice of technology shown on anime follows Japanese history. In other words, stories based on the Edo Period or any Pre-Meiji period, naturally tend to not have any Steam technology or other weapons technology and instead tend to concentrate on swordsmanship.

For traditional Japanese sword stories, all the rage about 16-18 years ago was the series Rurouni Kenshin (1996). If you like the more comical side of swordsmanship (buy thoroughly enjoyable IMHO), then you have the more recent Samurai Champloo (2004) which is an Edo Period girl's quest to find her Samurai father with the help two other Samurais who happen to hate each other, thus providing the comical relief.

If you're not keen on Japanese culture, and would like to move away from all that, a lot of good non-Japanese culture type stories tend to be futuristic series like the late 21st C Post-apocalyptic/Anachronistic bounty hunter story Cowboy Bebop (1998), which takes place across the Solar System, but reads more like a late 1960s TV American detective story (and yes, I think that the American FX Network's comical cartoon Archer (2009) totally ripped off the anachronistic introduction visuals from Cowboy Bebop - sorry, I have to say it)

For Disney-like wholesomeness and all around excellence of storyline, I strongly recommend any of the works from Studio Ghibli's Hayao Miyazaki, such as:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984) A post apocalyptic environmentalist story

Princess Mononoke (1999)/ An Edo Period Japanese supernatural Shinto-religion/environmentalist love story.

And

Spirited Away (2001) A 20th. C. supernatural Japanese-culture Shinto/ghost story with some Western elements such as Baba Yaga. Miyazaki's movies are so different to other Anime, that they really belong in a class of their own.

If you are a hard core Sci-Fi fan, and love Cyberpunk stories on the par with the (Hollywood) movie Blade Runner (1982, starring Harrison Ford), there are a few excellent ones you should see like Ghost in the Shell (1996). Ghost in the Shell is the story of a woman, a WWIII veteran, Motoko Kusanagi, who happens to be a full-body replacement cyborg working for a covert anti-terrorist SWAT team. Kusanagi, while solving different terrorism cases, suddenly encounters a "brain-hacking" program, created by the Japanese government as a political tool. The thing is, this program has attained sentience, escaped its creators, and claims to have become a life form, living on the Internet, but  now the program wants to merge with Motoko Kusanagi's brain, in order to truly become a life form capable of birth, evolution and death.

Ghost in the Shell is about to come out next year as a live action movie with Scarlett Johansson, and actually the story was one of the major inspirations for the Wachowski Brothers' The Matrix (1999) trilogy (Hollywood movies).

For more Sci-Fi there is the very dark and gut-wrenching Battle Angel Alita or Gunm (1993), the story of a young cyborg girl born onto a post apocalyptic Earth, where the whole surface of the Earth has been turned into a giant rubbish dumpster and ghetto, where the lower classes of humanity try to scrape off a living, while the privileged few live in the lap of luxury in giant floating cities, isolated from the rabble below, under penalty of death. Gally, the young cyborg girl makes a name for herself in that world by fighting people in Roman Coliseum-like death matches.

Gunm/Battle Angel was probably part of the inspiration behind the (Hollywood) movie Elysium (2013), starring Matt Damon, except that Elysium has no cyborg girl, and instead Matt Damon plays the part of a man wearing a robotic battle suit, who is looking for a cure for his own illness and has to break into the orbital city/space station, Elysium.

And if you want really old-school Sci-Fi, you can watch Akira (1988), the truly bizarre story of a young Japanese teenager in post-apocalyptic Tokyo, who is victim of a Japanese military weapons technology experiment, gone really really bad.

The closest to Kabaneri of the Fortress that I have seen recently is Seraph of the End (2015) which is basically another near-future Christian Apocalypse story, but mixed together with a vampire story (humans learn to make pacts with demons and harness the power of angels to fight the vampires and stave off the annihilation of humanity  Grin) - but the production quality for Seraph of the End, while fairly high, is actually considerably lower than Last Exile and Kabaneri of the Fortress, and even lower than Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Attack on Titan I haven't seen, but it was all the rage last year. It's another one where the plot will probably not be as interesting to me as the visuals, I think.

One thing to keep in mind is that in Japan these Anime series/movies usually start life not as movies, but as Manga, that is, Japanese pulp fiction, some time before the movie is made, so you are very likely to find the Manga online as well as the movies.

All right. Dear Professor Cecily, I just name-dropped some of the best titles out there. Most of these titles are not new, but rather classics. Nothing here is bad. Every single one of the Anime titles above is excellent, which should keep you entertained for a while.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:20:43 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 05:06:11 pm »

There are other "Steampunk" Anime's that you could compare with, but they have a different theme.

Steamboy is pure (if anything can be pure) steampunk and has no monsters.

Unbreakable Machine Doll features female humanoid constructs and is light hearted.

Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan is a very gritty series that focus's more on the "Doctor Jackal and Mr Hyde" theme with very little SP
Shingeki no Kyojin high school years I have refused to watch as it looks crap.

Norn X Norn is a newer but lesser know SP that came out at the end of last year and is focased on the decisions of chosen kids who get to decide the future.

Studio Ghibli is hard to pin down as it covers so many different topics. If any could be classed as SP then I would say:

Nausica of the Valley of the Wind and Howls moving Castle.

Ghost in the shell is a must watch along with Macross/Robotech. (current series is Macross Delta)

Yes there is a live action coming out next year, but before then there is a 360 VR movie called Virtual Reality Driver

攻殻機動隊 新劇場版 Virtual Reality Diver(公式ティザー映像)

Which makes use of google cardboard and the various mobilephone based 3d headset.

The thing with Anime is that it is so varied that there is something for everyone.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 06:56:52 am »

How very generous of you both to dedicate the time to give such comprehensive answers to my question!
I see this is an extremely rich vein of cultural entertainment which came into being in the 80's and 90's, while I was otherwise occupied.

Now I have my summer ánime viewing sorted.
I'm most impressed by my options!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 07:35:04 am »

How very generous of you both to dedicate the time to give such comprehensive answers to my question!
I see this is an extremely rich vein of cultural entertainment which came into being in the 80's and 90's, while I was otherwise occupied.

Now I have my summer ánime viewing sorted.
I'm most impressed by my options!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Oh. You know you hit the motherload baby! Now let's blow this joint!  Wink

Cowboy Bebop OP - Tank! [HD] 1080p

Last Exile 【Official OP】 Extreme HD

Princess Mononoke - Official Trailer

Ghost in the Shell (Kokaku kidotai) - (1995) - (Mamoru Oshii) / Kenji Kawai

Samurai Champloo Intro

~ ~ ~

If these shorts don't attract somebody to Anime, I don't know what will  Cheesy

~ ~ ~

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:18:35 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 05:28:24 pm »

It's time to blow this scene,
Lets get everybody and their stuff together,
Okay, 3, 2, 1, Lets Jam.

Anime's have some of the Best music in the world and there are just to many to list.
I own most of the Cowboy bebop and Gits albums.

Psycho Pass is a bit of a mind messer close to Gits
Namae no nai Kaibutsu - Psycho-Pass HD

Black Rock Shooter (Hatsune Miku Video version)
Black Rock Shooter - Hatsune Miku (HD)

And the opening from Macross Delta
ワルキューレ/一度だけの恋なら Music Video(2chorus)_TVアニメ「マクロスΔ(デルタ)」OPテーマ

Dimension W
Genesis | DIMENSION W OPENING

And a classic from New Mobile Report Gundam Wing
Two Mix White Reflection HQ with lyrics
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:33:33 pm by CPT_J_Percell » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 09:54:59 pm »

Episode 10 now live!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 06:38:31 am »

Episode 10 now live!

I couldn't see Episode 9. The website gave me an error.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 07:37:18 am »

Episode 10 now live!

I couldn't see Episode 9. The website gave me an error.

Try this
http://bestanimes.tv/koutetsujou-no-kabaneri-episode-9/2/?mirror=true
its for the mp4upload server as the trollvid server doesn't work for me.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: