The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 09:07:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Frick Engine at Home  (Read 1909 times)
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Sky Pirate Brewer

« on: April 08, 2016, 04:14:45 am »

My girl came home today.  It's going to be a long, fun road to restore her to her former beauty, but it will get done..

(I hate flickr, as soon as I get it figured out, I'll post her photo here...)
The Sky Pirate

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:29:42 am by SPBrewer » Logged

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 04:09:53 am »

Ya damn tease........ Wink

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 04:07:51 am »

No, Really I have a full size, not one of the little toys, but an 8,500 Lb Steam engine at home.  If someone were to tell me how to share the photos on this Forum, I'll be glad to do so.  I uploaded the photos to Flickr and can't seem to remember how to share them here.
Please help me.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:39:42 am »

Part of the Procrastination Club, huh? Wink
 Smiley

There's a Thread around here......somewhere. .......
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 05:36:13 am »

I'll get it figured out sooner or later.
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 05:45:29 am »

It 'seems' like someone once posted a "how to" on posting photos from Flickr.  I looked in the Brass Goggles "How to" but that was for " construction of contraptions".
I REALLY wish Brass Goggles would have an Image server.
Until I get it figured out, I'll be your,
Frustrated old Sky Pirate.

Prof. Convict Archfiend
Officer
Australia Australia

Gravatar

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 06:11:31 am »

not familiar with flickr, but some where on the image page(where you view uploaded images) there should be like and "IMG Code" or Forum code, just need to copy and paste that code into the reply here, and the rest is automatic

EDIT: then again, found it....

click the image you want to share, let it load up
down the bottom there is a little arrow to "SHARE IMAGE", click on that and some options will pop up
Click on "BBCode"
select the size with the drop down box, and then copy that code and paste into the reply box.

Just call me "Greenie"....
(much quicker to type)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 12:57:14 pm »

How the blazes did you acquire an 8,500lb steam engine?
selectedgrub
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 07:52:29 pm »

I REALLY wish Brass Goggles would have an Image server.

Someone pays out of his own pocket for this forum.
There is no advertising to recoup any costs.
Imagine how much extra it would cost this person to store images.

This person to me is an unsung hero
and if he reads this, thank you sincerely.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 11:31:42 am »

Does the 3rd post in this thread (see below) not help you in your situation? I never use Flickr, but I doubt it's much different than other public image servers.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38969.msg834621.html

EDIT:
The only problem I could see in case the instructions in this link don't work, is that some image servers like Flickr, intentionally trick you by giving you on the web browser, an  IP address /  URL that does not actually point to the image directly, but rather to a web page where the image is embedded (they do this so you won't "hot link" pictures into forums like this one).

The work around is to have the web browser "find" or  "isolate the picture" name by searching for all the info associated with the web page.  Usually using the built in web developer tools in your browser (varies from browser to browser);

i.e. Go to a web page in Mozilla Firefox, and right click, then use  "Page Info"; that will allow you to find the actual image IP addresses ilke which will end in .jpg, .gif. .png or .tiff, or some such. You will find media like pictures or movies and a lot of other junk that makes up the page. Among that you will see the one you're looking for.

Example:  Flickr will show this address on your browser:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137033623@N07/26483406580/in/pool-steampunk/

Note the address does not end with an actual picture name such as "whitby.jpg" - it actually only points to a directory called "/pool-steampunk/" so you can't use that address anywhere to embed pictures...

But the actual picture address is hidden, and is this one:

https://c5.staticflickr.com/2/1594/26483406580_e59ca32eec_k.jpg

the actual picture is "/26483406580_e59ca32eec_k.jpg"

so you would write

Code:
[img]https://c5.staticflickr.com/2/1594/26483406580_e59ca32eec_k.jpg[/img]

in the editor's box.

Finding the actual picture address is a bit tricky.  I right click and use "Page Info" to hunt for the pictures embedded in the web page. A menu will appear with all the bells and whistles that make up that web page, and among those bells and whistles will be the actual image adresses.

My advice is to use something other than Flickr. I usually just post my pictures on Twitter. You still have to "fish" for the picture URL similar to above, but it's much easier because you can right click and there will actually be a button on your web browser menu that reads ""view image" and that button will take you directly to the image address and you can copy that and paste into brassgoggles as shown above

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:03:53 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 04:22:10 am »

How the blazes did you acquire an 8,500lb steam engine?

With cash!  Wink

I'm wondering if the 8,500 lb weight is correct.  I got a guy with one of those car hauling trucks to move it for me.  He said it was very heavy.  What's the weight of most cars these days?  I know he could not keep up with me and the lady pirate.

This and one other steam engine had been outside a store here in S.C. for many years.  I finally sold my parents home, after my mother died my father signed the house over to me and moved in with his new wife.  Once the house was sold I had the $ to buy the engine.  I was thinking $5,000.00 and asked the owner what he wanted for the engine.  He said $4,000.00 and I said SOLD!  The other engine did not have a boiler and looks like it might have been heavier than the Frick.  I also bought a Hit and Miss engine that was inside the store way in the back.  It had been stored inside for years.  I was able to turn the engine with my hands.  Great news, not frozen up!  I suspect it will be running soon.  The Frick Steam engine is another story.  I'm told that you MUST have a certified Boiler engineer do the repair work and give it certification before you can attempt to run one in public.  Seems they don't want a boiler to explode and scald people to death.
I'll get photos uploaded as soon as I can.  She's cool.  Missing a couple of minor pieces but I have already found a company to recast those.
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 04:48:37 am »

Here she is at home:

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 05:14:38 am »

Here she is at the store before I bought her.  NOW I feel like a true Steam punk.  Got my own engine to prove it.  Smiley

(AND The problem with Flickr was too close to me to see it. Duh  I'll try to do some screen grabs and document how I did it to share with  others who may have used every word in the book on Flickr )
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 05:19:38 am »

This engine is still at the store.  For 5% of the sale price, I'll tell you where she is at and how to contact the owner.  Wink
This Engine is going to be Heavy!

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 05:24:37 am »

The Brass Plaque on my Frick Engine.  It is nice to combine Brass and Steam. Wink
I've cleaned the tag up since this photo.  I'll get a newer photo and post it here soon.

Oh, the tag reads:

Carolina Machinery and Mfg Co.
Sumter S.C.
Machinery Machinery and nothing but Machinery & Supplies.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:27:38 am by SPBrewer » Logged
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 05:57:35 am »

The door to the Ash Box on my Frick

The door to the burner.

Full view of the business end of the engine.

I guess this will be called the front end of the engine, since this axle turns.  In the early days, the steam engines were pulled by horses to where it was to be used.  Later, they (The Frick Steam Engine Company) got the idea of making the engines power themselves to the site.  They added ribs on the rear wheels and ran a belt from the engine to the rear axle.  These (Traction Engines) Seem to be more popular, but I am happy with my engine. Smiley

The Brake on the Right Rear wheel.  A rod runs to the other side where it connects to the Left Rear Brake and a long handle that gives you plenty of leverage when applying the Brakes.  I was so fearful that the axles were going to be "frozen up" and would break when we tried to move her.  But nope, she rolled with no problems.   The guy with the flat bed car hauler had his machine straining with the weight.  Not much of a chance that anybody will steal this engine.  Wink

My next door neighbor came over to see what I had.  I told him it was a new engine for my riding lawn mower!  Smiley

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 06:00:28 am »

How I was finally able to see the URL's to my pictures.  Wink

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 07:09:22 am »

Now I need a big air bag and a ship to go with my engine.  Smiley
Too bad I wasn't able to take Charlie Arneson up on his offer when he offered to give me one or both of the ships from "Master and Commander" some years ago.
They had just finished filming at FOX Baja Studios and no longer needed the ships.  He told me I could have them, but I would have to get them completely off the studio grounds in a couple of months.  He ended up paying someone $1 million to take them apart and haul the wood out.  It's still hard for me to believe.  A BIG Crane could have lifted one of them out of the outdoors water stage and into the Pacific.  Then it could have been sailed to S.C. and up to Santee.  Heck of a Bass Boat.  Smiley
Then all I would need would be a BIG air bag.  Moffet was close by too. Wink

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 08:29:50 am »

SP, she is BEAUTIFUL!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 11:44:55 am »

Well, holy frick, you weren't joking!

Will you eventually do a full resto, like sandblasting and such with a repaint?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 11:02:52 pm »

Stan, that engine is frickin' sweet!

Four tons and a bit (8500 lb.) sounds about right for one of those, ± a couple tons of water. Most modern autos are significantly lighter than that.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 01:11:53 am »

Well, holy frick, you weren't joking!

Will you eventually do a full resto, like sandblasting and such with a repaint?

From what I have seen so far, she was black with red.   Someone painted her gray with some spare paint at one time in the past.  That helped save her from the elements.  I'm guessing and it is just a wild guess that it will cost about another $5,000.00 to $10,000.00 to get her restored to running condition.  I want to park her behind my shop and run an axle (probably wrong jargon here) down the length of my shop so that I can take off power for various steam powered tools.  I've been collecting Victorian Era tools and hope to have the shop 100% Victorian.   Thus my shop will not just produce Victorian era items, but do it with Victorian Era tools.  I've already got an old, approximately 4 foot in diameter saw blade with axle and pulley.  I'll need to locate some "band" to go between the Frick pulley and the Saw Pulley.  Smiley   I feel like a big kid at Christmas.   (Second Childhoods are so much more fun as you have the money you wish you had the first time around.   I'll keep updating the photos as time goes by.  (Especially since I got the imaging problem licked. 

Stan er, the Sky Pirate.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 01:51:35 pm »

Stan er, looking forward to these WIP photos also!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 02:06:39 am »

I want to park her behind my shop and run an axle (probably wrong jargon here) down the length of my shop so that I can take off power for various steam powered tools.

Google "line shafting."

I'll need to locate some "band" to go between the Frick pulley and the Saw Pulley.  Smiley

Google "flat belt." They still make the stuff, apparently. You'll also want to google "flat belt lacing."

I've been collecting Victorian Era tools and hope to have the shop 100% Victorian.   Thus my shop will not just produce Victorian era items, but do it with Victorian Era tools.  I've already got an old, approximately 4 foot in diameter saw blade with axle and pulley.

You should also check out David Richards and his Steam Powered Machine Shop YouTube videos.
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 06:18:43 am »

SP, she is BEAUTIFUL!

Mr. Banfili et al,
   I have gotten quite attached to her Blue/Gray color and I am tempted to keep her color that way.  She was originally painted Black and Red.  I've already painted the cylinder red and probably go with her original colors.  I've got to find a Mechanical Engineer in central S.C. to do and certify the boiler work on her.  And so the project begins.
The Skypirate
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: